Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passat B6 1.9 Tdi

Options
  • 21-03-2017 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey everyone
    So basically my 2009 Passat B6 1.9 Tdi (Diesel) was giving me problems a few weeks ago, basically the car would suddenly lose power at times, in simpler terms the accelerator basically ceased to function to a certain extent where the car would lose speed and also the car would kick at times during acceleration. Then the exhaust light came up on the dash (only staying solid yellow, so i know it is a good sign, rather than it flashing as that is when you know you have a serious problem). The Emissions Garage also cam up on the dash. So i then got a Error Code reading which said it was the MAF or Mass Air Flow Sensor (which i then got replaced). The car was finally running fine for a few days until the same problems came up again, I took it to the Volkswagen Dealer and they said they could do diagnostics but i walked out as soon as they said €80 for that alone.

So basically, What im asking is that, have any of you Passat owners had this problem with this particular model and what was the problem you guys faced with it,
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Are you sure 2009 is a 1.9TDI and not 1.6 or 2.0 TDI?

It could be anything from EGR to DPF.

Until you get it scanned you will be 'pulling at straws'.

Any decent independent will scan it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BongoMan

Thanks for reply, yeah i am sure it is the 1.9 Tdi, I already got an independent scan done and the problem was meant to be the MAF but it was not the case as the problem has come up again. Im gonna get my local mechanic to take a look at it, This was a reply i got on Yahoo Answers 'It may be the turbo. If you get puffs of black smoke (look in the rear view mirror) when the power drops, that's highly likely. When the turbo bearings start to wear the vanes foul the casing and this affects the air delivery. So the turbo needs to come off for inspection. Rotate the vanes by hand to feel for bearing wear and fouling of the casing. Turbos are expensive, even to exchange, but you can get rebuilt kits online.'

What you think?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

BongoMan wrote: »
    Thanks for reply, yeah i am sure it is the 1.9 Tdi, I already got an independent scan done and the problem was meant to be the MAF but it was not the case as the problem has come up again. Im gonna get my local mechanic to take a look at it, This was a reply i got on Yahoo Answers 'It may be the turbo. If you get puffs of black smoke (look in the rear view mirror) when the power drops, that's highly likely. When the turbo bearings start to wear the vanes foul the casing and this affects the air delivery. So the turbo needs to come off for inspection. Rotate the vanes by hand to feel for bearing wear and fouling of the casing. Turbos are expensive, even to exchange, but you can get rebuilt kits online.'

What you think?

Thanks

I think you should stop checking yahoo answers and bring the car to a decent independent mechanic. It could be anything from a turbo to a split boost pipe. I think you are mad bringing it to VW. Are the warning lights still on ? Where are you based.

Was the maf you fitted a new genuine one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BongoMan

Yeah man I got it off a Volkswagen Passat at a local dismantler, but then again it could be a faulty one as you never know with second hand parts. Awh quit €80 for a quick diagnostics (which is a days wages for most people in Ireland) Ridiculous!! Yeah the warning lights are still on, Im based in Monaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

BongoMan wrote: »

What you think?

Thanks

I echo Tossy post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Call in to a couple local mechanics and have a chat and see if they will quote you for a scan, or even may have a suggestion on what can wrong.

Advertisement