Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Fly fishing near Dublin

Options
  • 21-03-2017 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I'm looking for a river/lake to fly fish without spending too much money. I fish the Dodder as membership is cheap and it's not too far. Courtlough is a bit of a drive and it gets expensive going there every week.

Are there any other rivers/lakes (preferably river) where there is cheap membership? Say below €50 for the season.

There seems to be a load of different clubs along the liffey so I'd be looking to join the one that controls the best stretch for fishing and where the river is easily accessible and suitable for waders.

Anywhere that requires a boat is not an option.

Im in South Dublin so ideally I wouldn't want to be driving more than 30-40 mins.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

bigjohn17 wrote: »
    I'm looking for a river/lake to fly fish without spending too much money. I fish the Dodder as membership is cheap and it's not too far. Courtlough is a bit of a drive and it gets expensive going there every week.

Are there any other rivers/lakes (preferably river) where there is cheap membership? Say below €50 for the season.

There seems to be a load of different clubs along the liffey so I'd be looking to join the one that controls the best stretch for fishing and where the river is easily accessible and suitable for waders.

Anywhere that requires a boat is not an option.

Im in South Dublin so ideally I wouldn't want to be driving more than 30-40 mins.

Thanks!

Have you heard of the tolka? Same as the dodder stocked has some wild fish not sure on prices looks like a good river, had some fish kills recently though.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

I'd suggest the Tolka as well, there are some nice stretches along it and still has some decent fish sitting in it (11 year old caught a 3.5 lb brownie on opening day for example)

There are both of the lakes in Bohernabreena, which are included on your Dodder angling license (both lakes are fly fishing only).

Finally, there's the Rye, which I've only ever visited once, when it was in spate, so I can't really offer a good review of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 bigjohn17

Evac101 wrote: »
    I'd suggest the Tolka as well, there are some nice stretches along it and still has some decent fish sitting in it (11 year old caught a 3.5 lb brownie on opening day for example)

There are both of the lakes in Bohernabreena, which are included on your Dodder angling license (both lakes are fly fishing only).

Finally, there's the Rye, which I've only ever visited once, when it was in spate, so I can't really offer a good review of it.

Are there any stretches of the Tolka to avoid as far as trouble makers in the area etc?

Is Bohernabreena fishable from the bank with expectations to catch something?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

bigjohn17 wrote: »
    Are there any stretches of the Tolka to avoid as far as trouble makers in the area etc?

Is Bohernabreena fishable from the bank with expectations to catch something?

Certain times of year it's easily fishable but very muddy. And rainy times it's damn near impossible.
    Flick casts out to 20 yards have landed me some lovely fish. Ya don't need to get out 50 yards for a fish. They patrol the banks near the overhanging trees waiting on insects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

try clane trout angling club, they have a stretch on the liffey. dublin trout anglers have a stretch nearby too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 StephenMc2015

The Rye is supposed to be good, Day tickets are available from Leixlip Amenities Centre near Intel site.

Advertisement