Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tenant not paying rent can landlord move back?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

No, any visit must be arranged and agreed at a time with the tenant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

No, any visit must be arranged and agreed at a time with the tenant.

Have been trying for weeks, but get no response.
    Have told them, as have agents we need to see machine which is broken

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

allibastor wrote: »

Are they ok? Is there no response whatsoever? They could be ill or worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The tenants are breaking their obligation under section 16 c but that doesn't allow a breach of the landlords obligation under section 12 a.

The RTB will hold the landlord to a higher standard of knowledge of the rights and obligations and expect better compliance from them.

The tenants are breaking their obligation under section 16 c but that doesn't allow a breach of the landlords obligation under section 12 a.

The RTB will hold the landlord to a higher standard of knowledge of the rights and obligations and expect better compliance from them.

So, even if I tell them.I will be there in one week time at a given time to inspect the repair, I can't just let myself in.
    I find conflicting reports online that I can and can't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

So, even if I tell them.I will be there in one week time at a given time to inspect the repair, I can't just let myself in.
    I find conflicting reports online that I can and can't

Is the machine broken and needs to be inspected to organise a repair or is it already repaired and the repair needing to be inspested? Either way the landlord connot enter the.house without the consent of the tennent except in case of a genuine emergency.

Is the machine broken and needs to be inspected to organise a repair or is it already repaired and the repair needing to be inspested? Either way the landlord connot enter the.house without the consent of the tennent except in case of a genuine emergency.

No, not fixed. Can't get them to answer calls, texts or emails

Technically you can let yourself in as you could fear for their safety due no response. If you don't want to go down that road nothing stopping you "bumping into" the tenants when they are leaving or arrive home and asking them what they think they are up to and telling them have been evicted and have to leave.

You could also knock on the door again.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

^^ As above.

You can let yourself in, in an emergency, that is if there is something urgent which needs to be done to protect the property. Such as repairing a leak or removing a dangerously faulty appliance. Or other emergencies, such as someone having collapsed or whatever.

You can also let yourself in if you have reason to believe that the property has been vacated.

Write up a letter, addressed to the tenants directly. The letter should say that the repeated failure of them to respond to you gives you reason to believe that the property is vacated. And if they don't contact you in the next 48 hours, you will be entering the property with the purpose of taking possession. Knock on the door; if they don't answer, deliver the letter.

If they don't respond but haven't vacated, then you still can't take possession. But you have covered your ass in terms of entering the property without permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

No, not fixed. Can't get them to answer calls, texts or emails
    Well it won't be getting fixed any time soon if they are not answering any calls, texts, letters or the door. Keep a record of your attempts to contact them so they cannot later claim you failed to fix something they told you was broken.

• Advertisement
Advertisement