Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid Question about Graphics Cards

Options
  • 21-03-2017 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm trying to understand something and I'm not getting very far with Google.

I'm building a PC and I'm ordering the graphics card on Friday. I was looking at the GeForce GTX 1080 which I thought was a single model, however when I go looking online, there seems to be a massive variety of these?

For example:
    Overclockers selection of 1080 cards

This appears to have about 40 odd variations on the 1080 card with £130 in the difference between the cheapest and most expensive.

So just wondering if someone could explain to me why there are different versions of the same card? Is there a tech spec involved that I'm missing?

Cheers,
    Red

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Different versions are just the partnered cards.
    They basically add their own cooling solutions along with some other bells and whistles.
    Some will increase the clock speeds of the card for better performance as well. Top models will be the water cooled solutions which will obviously add to cost.

OCUK has a compare option that will show you the different clock speeds of each model and you can further google to get info such as fan noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Nvidia & AMD release their base models, these usually have a "reference, blower" style of cooler.
    Nvidia-Geforce-GTX760-reference-cooler-design.jpg
    Single (small) fan, exhausts out the back of the case.
    Generally only alright, can get noisy, not the best thermal solution.

Then their Add-in Board (AIB) partners will release bigger coolers with multiple fans.
    These are preferred in cases with decent airflow, as they're generally quieter & cooler-running.

Also, the AIB partners offer different levels of warranty support (with EVGA being the best here).

LTT has a good video on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Buy the one with the prettiest lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

RossieMan wrote: »
    Buy the one with the prettiest lights.

Bonus points if the card is black and red. Every Gamer and ork knows red one's go faster :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Venom wrote: »
    Bonus points if the card is black and red. Every Gamer and ork knows red one's go faster :D

The one I picked is black and red :o:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

RedXIV wrote: »
    The one I picked is black and red :o:o

MSI gaming X?

It's an MSI anyway :)

Looking forward to everything arriving now, never put a tower together before so a bit nervous but been told it's like lego :D If the parts fit, it's right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

and just like Lego try not to stand on it or shove it up your nose

Skerries wrote: »
    and just like Lego try not to stand on it or shove it up your nose

These are the crucial instructions often omitted from the packaging :D

Advertisement