Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning to work after maternity leave

Options
  • 21-03-2017 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I am due to go back to work in 3 weeks. I had a short informal conversation with my new line manager a few weeks ago just to confirm that my days and hours would be the same. I work a 3 day week in retail, my days are usually during the week because they have college students to work the weekends but I never complained if I had to work during the weekend which was rarely. I'm a mother of 2 now so working during the week suits me. In the conversation I said if it was possible could I have my days during the week as much as possible to which I was told there would be no problem as they have too much staff at the weekend anyway. Today I received a letter from head office that due to that conversation I must fill in a flexible working request form to state what days I am able to work. I never requested my days/hours to change I just wanted to make sure that nothing had changed since I was out on mat leave. I have spoken to another manager who has told me that there have been changes made to the rota and they would either need me to work my 20hrs over 4 days or my 3 days over the weekend (every weekend). The cost of working a 4th day would not be worth my while and I would find it hard to work every weekend as my childminder has her own kids and would not be able to have my 2 also and my husband also works in retail so does not have every weekend off. Am I not entitled to return to work under the same conditions I left on? I had a verbal agreement with management that I would work my 20hrs over 3 days and I mainly worked those days during the week which was what I was used to. I'm meeting with them tomorrow to discuss it all but would appreciate any help/advise anyone can give me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

They cannot discriminate against you because you were out on maternity leave and must allow you to return to your job again. However, you do not have a right to special treatment either so if there is a change in all employee rotas then yours would be no different. If colleagues who were not on ML are also having rota changed, then you may not be on solid ground.

Find out if it's just you, or is it everyone who is effected

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sueboo22

davo10 wrote: »
    They cannot discriminate against you because you were out on maternity leave and must allow you to return to your job again. However, you do not have a right to special treatment either so if there is a change in all employee rotas then yours would be no different. If colleagues who were not on ML are also having rota changed, then you may not be on solid ground.

Find out if it's just you, or is it everyone who is effected

Thanks Dave, my guess is that everyone has changed. They have an extremely high turnover of staff and so are having to change the rota to move more experienced staff to the departments that need them. I'll check it out to be sure tomorrow tho.

Advertisement