Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beauty Blender - not sure I'm getting it

Options
  • 21-03-2017 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

So a while ago I was thinking about refreshing my makeup brushed and a few posters recommended starting with buying a beauty blender and then seeing if that would replace some foundation brushes.

Anyhow, I duly went out and bought one and have used it a bit over the past few weeks, with various foundations and concealers and I'm just not sure I get it.

I think its good as an extra tool to use after applying foundation with a brush, but I found when I tried to use it to apply the foundation in the first instance that (i) it absorbed loads of product and (ii) i didn't get the same coverage.

I do like it for blending concealer etc, but I don't see my throwing out my stippling brush anytime soon (although I may buy a new one!)

Am I just not getting it or are my expectations too high?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

I had the same experience.
    I found that for me it was best to still apply the foundation with my regular brush and then use the blender to finish it off.
    It gave a nice 'airbrushed' finish that I didn't get from the brush alone.

However I only had it a while and didn't bother to replace it when I felt it had seen better days.
    I wasn't sure how best to clean it so was worried about the hygiene side.

I'd try it again though, I did like it. Especially around the eyes and nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Ya I'm the same I couldn't work out how to use it for foundation application so I just use it to buff in my concealer afterwards and it just gives a fresher look overall and more even finish. I spray it with mac fix plus spray to dampen it first or you can run it under the tap, I find that makes it too wet though, I prefer it slightly misted with the spray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

THanks both - glad its not just me! I do like it, but its not a replacement in my view, I still need a foundation brush as a starting point.

So annoyed I missed the St.Patricks day discount code on Cloud10 (I love a good discount code!) as theres now a set of brushes from Spectrum that I'd love to try, now I know that the Beauty Blender isnt the answer to my woes!

I got a lovely foundation brush from Fuschia, one of the best I've used.

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    I got a lovely foundation brush from Fuschia, one of the best I've used.

Do you remember the name of the specific brush?

I've currently got my eye on somethign from Spectrum, because they're gorgeous looking but also cruelty free which is something I like to support where I can.

https://www.cloud10beauty.com/tools-accessories.html?limit=48&manufacturer=2435

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

If you dampen the beauty blender it won't absorb as much product. But my favourite ever foundation tool is the blank canvas f20 brush. I swear by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I saturate the BB in water, squeeze it out well, then squeeze it out again wrapped in a tissue. Make up goes on really nicely.
    If it's too damp, the coverage is horrible, and if it's not wet at all it just absorbs the product!

Yeah I do wet it properly - I squeeze it first and then again inside a towel so its not holding too much water but I still found that I was using more foundation (I can measure it because whit my brush i use two pumps and with the BB, I needed 3/4 for the same coverage.) I've looked up plenty of Youtube tutorials etc so I don't think I'm actually doing anything wrong, I'm just not sold on it being a replacement for a good foundation brush. I do like to use it for concealer and general blending though.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Beauty Blenders give amazing foundation coverage, but you need a decent one. By decent, I don't mean the real Beauty Blender which retails about over E20, the Real Techniques one is perfect! Penneys ones are too hard and don't expand properly when you wet them, I'd avoid those although their mini ones are great for small work i.e. dabbing a pore minimizer or something like that into the skin. Just make sure your blender it's damp and has expanded in size so don't just wet it once and squeeze it out, do it a few times until the blender expands quite a bit. The reason for using it damp is so it won't soak up your foundation. Put your foundation on the back of your hand (personal preference of course but this is what I do!), dab the blender into it and then dab the foundation into your face, don't drag or wipe it, it's all about dabbing.

It does take a while to get used to it, especially if you are used to brushes (I use both!) but the finish is amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Keepingitreal

Beauty Blenders give amazing foundation coverage, but you need a decent one. By decent, I don't mean the real Beauty Blender which retails about over E20, the Real Techniques one is perfect! Penneys ones are too hard and don't expand properly when you wet them, I'd avoid those although their mini ones are great for small work i.e. dabbing a pore minimizer or something like that into the skin. Just make sure your blender it's damp and has expanded in size so don't just wet it once and squeeze it out, do it a few times until the blender expands quite a bit. The reason for using it damp is so it won't soak up your foundation. Put your foundation on the back of your hand (personal preference of course but this is what I do!), dab the blender into it and then dab the foundation into your face, don't drag or wipe it, it's all about dabbing.

It does take a while to get used to it, especially if you are used to brushes (I use both!) but the finish is amazing!

Agree with all the above but I will add that some foundations work better when using a brush first and then smoothing over with the BB.

Zoeva do amazing brushes and are cruelty free. I personally have not tried any of the foundation brush but have an eye set and they are the bomb! Lisa Eldridge uses the face shape one all the time and the reviews on beautybay and other places are nearly all positive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 chickfreak.com

I first apply my foundation with brush and then blend it with beauty blender. And blender must be wet for the better results. When I bought it I was doing all my foundation with blender but for me it works better just for blending foundation especially if it is full coverage.

Advertisement