Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild camping spots in Wicklow accessible by bike?

• 21-03-2017 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hey gang,

I'm planning on doing a short overnight camping trip from Dublin to Wicklow soon enough, I bicycle tour and bring everything on my bike. I noticed a lot of people here have camped in some nice spots around Wicklow National Park but I'm not sure if they are accessible by bike. Has anyone here ever bicycle toured around this area before? I'm up for wheeling the bike to gain access to trails/camping spots. Any nice suggestions?

I'm experienced enough with wild camping and the rest, always leave the place spotless after I'm done and never light fires.

Thanks! :D

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

A spot I've been to twice, off the beaten track,
    WP_000097_zps4001f9ce.jpg

DSC_0186_zpsd7yhxp4s.jpg

Wicklow Gap, bit busy but Ok,
    DSCN0571_zpsb85d2129.jpg

http://www.eastwestmapping.ie/

You should get a couple of their Wicklow maps, all trails, forest fire roads etc on them. Loads of options and trails.
    They're waterproof aswell. Well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Rhyso

Thanks a million, Nice Surly btw! I have a Long Haul Trucker myself.

If you have GPS I can pm you coordinates of the first wooded site.
    Actually, you don't need a GPS unit, computer should do it for you.

That would be great, looks like a lovely spot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Planet X, if you don't mind me asking, how do you find that bike on and off road?

EDIT: Just noticed it's a Surly. Is it a hybrid?

Planet X, if you don't mind me asking, how do you find that bike on and off road?

Surly Disc Trucker, brilliant bike!

Don't use it off road, it's a touring/road bike.
    I love it. Have a dynamo front wheel and use it daily for commuting. Bombproof.

Surly Disc Trucker. 26" wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Ihatehalloween

Hi Planet X....any chance you could PM me the coordinates of that first site as well. It looks just what I'm looking for to bring my daughters camping. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

one that caught my eye if ever cycling was the forest near the Glencree centre (Enniskerry-Glencree Road) where there is a forest barrier. Its where you might come out if you had been hiking over Prince William's seat from Enniskerry. there is a small stream so youd have water and plenty of cover

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
Advertisement