Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly Fishing North Cork / West Limerick

• 21-03-2017 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Looking for a decent stretch of river to fly fish in the North Cork / West Limerick area (anywhere within 20 miles of Charleville)

Unfortunately due to back injury unable to fish the local river Awbeg.
    Cant handle scrambling up and down banks, crawling through ditches etc.

There appears to be many local fisheries, but it appears some clubs are very territorial, if you're not local you cant join, but they seem happy enough for you to fish if you buy day tickets (shame on them). Ideally would be looking to join a club and fish its waters. On a disability benefit so cant really afford to be paying day tickets every week.

So if you know of easily accessible stretches in the above area, or are in a club that has these types of stretches and are happy for someone outside your immediate local community to join please let me know. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Hi Efanton - I was a member of Funchion angling club years ago. I'm from Cork city so not local. I can't remember any contact details for the club unfortunately. Lovely river, with some very accessible stretches if I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

thanks okedoke.

Was looking at the Funchion with google earth, and yes it does look like there are nice stretches that are easily accessible.
    Will try to contact the local culb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Sorry to hear you can't fish the awbeg OP. Fished it many times years ago. A great river!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

SeaFields wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you can't fish the awbeg OP. Fished it many times years ago. A great river!

Unfortunately the farmers have been allowed to destroy most of the banks.
    For large stretches you now have a bank that can be 2 metres above the water with the water facing bank so steep there is absolutely no way to get to the water, your only option is to wade to these stretches. As the years go by even this will be impossible due to these new banks being overgrown in briar's.

Still looking for alternatives to the Funshion.
    Unfortunately there is no record of the Funshion anglers in the interwebs. I will take a trip down to the tackle shop in Fermoy in the hopes they might be able to supply contact details.

Advertisement