Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxymo canceled insurance - what now?

Options
  • 21-03-2017 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭

My 19 year old son just had his insurance canceled (effective from 31/03/17) by Boxymo for a severe speeding incident - he was doing 163kph on a motorway late at night. Alone in the car and said he was distracted while talking to his mate on the Bluetooth hands free. He'd been with them since October (his first insurance) and up to now had a very good record - monthly scores in the mid 90s.

Now I have absolutely no problem with Boxymo canceling his insurance as it's in their T & Cs and 163kph was an insane speed. He pleaded with them but no dice. Hopefully an expensive lesson learned!

He's been looking for quotes today best so far €3,800 (was €2,100 with boxymo) He's driving a 2012 Kia Rio, 1.1L diesel and has a full licence. Any tips on companies/brokers that might offer a better quote? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

digitaldr wrote: »
    My 19 year old son just had his insurance canceled (effective from 31/03/17) by Boxymo for a severe speeding incident - he was doing 163kph on a motorway late at night. Alone in the car and said he was distracted while talking to his mate on the Bluetooth hands free. He'd been with them since October (his first insurance) and up to now had a very good record - monthly scores in the mid 90s.

Now I have absolutely no problem with Boxymo canceling his insurance as it's in their T & Cs and 163kph was an insane speed. He pleaded with them but no dice. Hopefully an expensive lesson learned!

He's been looking for quotes today best so far €3,800 (was €2,100 with boxymo) He's driving a 2012 Kia Rio, 1.1L diesel and has a full licence. Any tips on companies/brokers that might offer a better quote? Thanks

I would imagine he would have to disclose his boxymo policy to another insurer and if they see the report of 163 then they may jack up the price and see him as a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Id be giving him a medal for getting a 1.1 rio to over 100MPH :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Good point - not sure if Boxymo can disclose this info as he was not actually caught by the Guards?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm assuming he declared that he had insurance cancelled? Best trying a broker and check every online insurance quote system but I suspect once he ticks 'yes' for insurance cancelled then he won't get an instant quote.

It was a costly mistake.

rex-x wrote: »

Downhill, late at night with the wind behind him!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Good point - not sure if Boxymo can disclose this info as he was not actually caught by the Guards?

AFAIK they can disclose it as their system records that speed and im sure when you sign up to them they state they can pass the info on to the relevant people (Guards etc) where necessary.

I'm assuming he declared that he had insurance cancelled? Best trying a broker and check every online insurance quote system but I suspect once he ticks 'yes' for insurance cancelled then he won't get an instant quote.

It was a costly mistake.

Maybe he'd be better off canceling it himself before 31/03/17?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Problem is that he'll have to answer yes to the underwriting question asking if he's ever had insurance​ cancelled and won't get a quotation online so will have to do it all by calling around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭geotrig

To be honest id discourage him from driving for his own safety as well as everyone elses on the road .When he had policy that monitored his speed he did this !Imagine what it will be like on an open poilcy that doesnt do this ! there is no way youd not notice a 1.1 diesel rio not doing over 120 never mind 160

geotrig wrote: »
    To be honest id discourage him from driving for his own safety as well as everyone elses on the road when he had policy that monitored his speed he did this. imagine what it will be like on an open poilcy that doesnt do this ! there is no way youd not notice a 1.1 diesel rio not doing over 120 never mind 160

I was very surprised at him seeing as up to then his driving score on Boxymo had been excellent with lots of bonus milage earned.

• Advertisement

Maybe he'd be better off canceling it himself before 31/03/17?

That wont make a difference because the company have already said they are terminating the policy. Hes just going to have to suck it up for a couple of years with higher prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

While I hate the fact my insurance is high due to bad drivers behaving irresponsibly..

Have you tried chill Insurance they seem to do a policy through xsdirect where you have a high Excess to being down the initial cost?

Might be worth a shot.

jonnycivic wrote: »
    AFAIK they can disclose it as their system records that speed and im sure when you sign up to them they state they can pass the info on to the relevant people (Guards etc) where necessary.

From the policy
    Disclosure to Third Parties
    We may disclose information collected by the box:
     Where you have provided your consent in the Telematics Services Agreement between MCL Insurance
    Services Limited and you;
     To our agents and service providers in connection with this agreement;
     If we are legally obliged to disclose that information by virtue of legislation, regulation or court order;
     For the purposes of addressing insurance fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

He is in serious bother.

His first policy has been force cancelled for severe speeding.

He is a young driver.

No insurance company will want to touch him with a 50 barge pole.

He is most likely going to have to go down the declined cases route so what ever he was paying Boxymo I'd say at an absolute minimum multiply that by 3.

He has to declare the cancellation to every single insurer he tries to get a quote off in the future.

I also don't buy that he didn't realise what speed he was doing.

You get to 140kmph you know all about it never mind 160+ in a small car.

Its just lucky he didn't meet some poor unfortunate and mill them out of it.

From the policy

So they can pass the details on and is in the T&C that you signed up to :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Boxymo won't be bothered disclosing the reason for cancellation to any other insurer. The obligation is on your son to declare that an insurer has forced a cancellation on him. Failure to do so is a serious matter and could be construed as obtaining insurance by deception and the problem snowballs

Fair enough I was expecting a bit of abuse. I hope it's just a once off and in general he's a good lad - sports mad and doesn't drink or smoke so at least he's got a bit more disposable income than most of his peers. He is declaring everything when looking for quotes - always the best policy. Cheapest so far €3,700 which probably isn't too bad under the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

rex-x wrote: »

Especially as top speed according to specs is 99mph/159.3kph! No way did he not know. You cant red line a diesel that size with out knowing. Going from 150 to 160 probably took a minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

expensive mistake but hopefully he has learned a leson and one in which no one got hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

Ryath wrote: »
    Especially as top speed according to specs is 99mph/159.3kph! No way did he not know. You cant red line a diesel that size with out knowing. Going from 150 to 160 probably took a minute!

Hi all, just throwing an idea out there. Does this Boxymo telemetry use GPS signals? If so, is there any chance the GPS got a bad reading? I know from using GPS cycling with friends, we've seen 120kmh speeds showing as max speeds. When you look at a chart of the data you can see it's a pure spike in the readings.

Maybe I'm way off the ball there but 160k in a little car like that with a kid that knows he's being monitored sounds strange?

• Advertisement

Deagol wrote: »
    Hi all, just throwing an idea out there. Does this Boxymo telemetry use GPS signals? If so, is there any chance the GPS got a bad reading? I know from using GPS cycling with friends, we've seen 120kmh speeds showing as max speeds. When you look at a chart of the data you can see it's a pure spike in the readings.

Maybe I'm way off the ball there but 160k in a little car like that with a kid that knows he's being monitored sounds strange?

He remembers the "incident" and had his excuse ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

But Boxmo don't need to declare it.

Any policy I've done recently always ask "have you ever had an insurance policy cancelled for any reason".
    This will of course lead into "why was it cancelled" I thought this was a standard question now.

I'd imagine brokers are the only way forward and I'd expect he will need large tubs of lube to hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

He could try claim that due to his previous record it was a technical glitch with the system and see what they have to say.

In all fairness, with a full licence and quotes of 3600€, I would be seriously questioning how much I need a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

He remembers the "incident" and had his excuse ready.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SteM

I'm sure their monitoring software can establish what is a 'glich' in the GPS reading and what is sustained excessive speed tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,351 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

He'll have to volunteer the information as he will answer yes to the "have you ever had insurance cancelled or refused?" Question.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 EIMxxxEAR

When you say he had a good driving score in the mid 90s I'm afraid this is bad. The score each month is out of 100 with the lower being the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 briankin

Did he manage to get insurance cover after in the end?

Advertisement