Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€35 to change your address with Chill Insurance

• 21-03-2017 5:47pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've actually gotten fairly lazy in my outrage lately but this just pisses me off in a big way. Seriously, how the F*** can they justify €35 to do something that takes less than a minute to achieve? This is an instance of a out and out rip off because at the time of the request for this charge, the customer hasn't much choice except if they were ready to renew and could move. With 5 months left on the policy it would be more expensive to move and we will have little choice but to change the address at some stage so we can get the NCB cert at the time of renewal. I can guarantee you one thing, we will NEVER be renewing with Chill and at every opportunity I will be warning people off going anywhere near them. For the sake of €35 they will be losing a lot more business :angry:

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,571 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Alot of insurance companies have an admin charge of around 30 - 40 euros. Thats how they offer "cheap insurance". Its all great until you need to do anything with them!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yeah the vast majority have it all in their terms and conditions so its fair game really.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Nothing justifies a charge like that for something that could be done in the same time it takes to argue with you over the charge in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I used to be with TopQuote about 12 years ago and they had something like that going on. I usually moaned like fcuk about it and they normally gave in a let me off with it. It was particularly galling when you just want to switch insurance temporarily to a loaner car, they wanted to hit you to switch over and then again to switch back (double-whammy).

Although I guess it wasn't as bad as my Brother-in-Law who went with some nonsense package from 123 where he wasn't allowed to transfer the policy temporarily. His car was off the road for a week for repairs and he couldn't take a loaner car as 123 refused him.

Madness Ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I'm with 123.ie and had to change my policy last week, I was all ready for a fight about the €40 charge and possibly a charge as the new car would probably be a higher risk car. At the end of the call she just says "there's no charge for this change, bye" I was stunned, have they changed their policy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Senna wrote: »
    I'm with 123.ie and had to change my policy last week, I was all ready for a fight about the €40 charge and possibly a charge as the new car would probably be a higher risk car. At the end of the call she just says "there's no charge for this change, bye" I was stunned, have they changed their policy?

Maybe they have. My BIL's incident was from about 6 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Maybe they have. My BIL's incident was from about 6 years ago.

6 years ago they were still doing some brokering; now they're effectively a sub-brand of RSA so would be working to RSA rules only. I seem to remember a part of their premium is a large enough fee for basically setting up the premium so this may be considered by them to cover all admin costs.

I suspect that in time these fees will end up like various cases in the UK where excessive fees have been considered penalties rather than true costs. Cost of a temporary change and back is max two 15 minute phone calls (they won't have any underwriting costs for something that minor); even being generous with staff wages and overheads you're looking at 15 quid - not 35.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement