Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are implications for Primary school not having a DOE roll number?

Options
  • 21-03-2017 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

Considering sending our kids to a primary school but when I checked on the DOE website the school doesn't have a roll number.

The school is also secondary which does have a roll number but none for the primary.

Does anyone know the implications for not having a DOE roll number?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is it some sort of special or private school?
    I've heard of some secondary schools having 'primary' roll numbers, but never a school with none at all.

Do they sit exams in the secondary section?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

spurious wrote: »
    Is it some sort of special or private school?
    I've heard of some secondary schools having 'primary' roll numbers, but never a school with none at all.

Do they sit exams in the secondary section?

Yes they sit junior and leaving cert. Private school btw.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Very odd. I know the roll numbers are used for exams, so perhaps the primary operates under the same roll number as the secondary.

Have they had inspection reports etc. like other schools have?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭derb12

It is probably a fully fee-paying primary with no state funding at all and as such the dept wouldn't inspect it. I know a few schools where the fee-paying secondary has a roll number but the junior school doesn't. In the cases I know, the junior schools make a point of saying that they follow the national curriculum, but the teachers don't have B.Eds, the school doesn't get inspected and they take the same holidays as post-primary schools.

spurious wrote: »
    Very odd. I know the roll numbers are used for exams, so perhaps the primary operates under the same roll number as the secondary.

Have they had inspection reports etc. like other schools have?

Secondary school gets inspected but not the primary. It is a fee paying school but it's possible that only the secondary gets state funding and the primary is subsidised by the secondary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Far fewer private primary schools exist than secondary I would imagine. The only one in Limerick shut down a couple of years ago. It was a feeder school to a DoE secondary school.

Implications OP? If it is entirely private and fee paying, it doesn't receive funding from the Dept of Ed. The school will not have inspections and while they may employ teachers who have teaching qualifications, they are under no obligation to. After that it is up to you to decide if the standard of education your child receives there is up to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Only issue is attendance so I am surprised there is no roll number unless they just use the second level roll number.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

derb12 wrote: »
    the dept wouldn't inspect it.
    How is this possible?

As there are obligations for children to be taught, how can the state be sure they are being taught?

Victor wrote: »
    How is this possible?

As there are obligations for children to be taught, how can the state be sure they are being taught?

Under the constitution, the parent is the primary educator. There is an obligation on the parent to provide an education to their child. There is no obligation to send them to a state run school. They can choose to home school or send them to one of the few privately run primary schools. The parent can prove that a child sent to this school is following a curriculum. If they choose for their child to be taught by people who may be unqualified as teachers that is their choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Home schoolers have to have a govt. inspection of some sort no?

• Advertisement

From citizens information

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/the_irish_education_system/home_education.html

Role of the Child and Family Agency
    The Child and Family Agency is obliged to maintain a register of children who are receiving education but not attending a recognised school. In effect, this register will show the names of children who are being educated at home or in private non-recognised schools. All parents or guardians who want to educate their children at home must register their child with the Child and Family Agency. Parents of children who attend private non recognised schools should make an application through the school. Registration is not automatic. It is a legal obligation and the onus is on parents or guardians to make an application on behalf of their child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Aye but that's just registration, I'm sure that they still have to have someone from the Dept to check in (even if it's just a brief assessment of where the cold is at educationally). I think one of my former teachers is now doing this.

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Aye but that's just registration, I'm sure that they still have to have someone from the Dept to check in (even if it's just a brief assessment of where the cold is at educationally). I think one of my former teachers is now doing this.

I would have thought so but can't find anything to the contrary. My concern is that the school is also wide open, parents are allowed inside the classrooms as opposed to the kids lining up outside their class. It's bedlam at pick up and drop off times as there are people everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

I would have thought so but can't find anything to the contrary. My concern is that the school is also wide open, parents are allowed inside the classrooms as opposed to the kids lining up outside their class. It's bedlam at pick up and drop off times as there are people everywhere.

I had to query this with the Dept for a totally unrelated matter a number of years ago and the Dept response was that the only State involvement was re attendance - NEWB (I think) at the time, TUSLA now.

I had to query this with the Dept for a totally unrelated matter a number of years ago and the Dept response was that the only State involvement was re attendance - NEWB (I think) at the time, TUSLA now.

Do you know what the regulatory requirements are for the school in this case, surely they are under some type of inspection similar to operating a crèche?

Honestly, if it's that poorly organised I think that a school roll number is the least of your worries. Is this school convenient to where you live or does it offer something really amazing that you are considering it over a regular primary school?

Advertisement