Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old dial type telephone

Options
  • 21-03-2017 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

i have an old dial type telephone from the UK i want to use here.i have connected it and all i get is the dial tone,it wont make or receive calls any one any ideas ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do the AXEs still support pulse dialling? If not youll need a converter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 madred2

cheers ill have a look around for a converter

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Is the phone an original model or a reproduction? If the latter, there's almost certainly a switch underneath to select between pulse and tone dial - typically indicated as 'DTMF'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 madred2

its an old 70/80 's dial phone no switch im afraid .thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭cml387

You won't be able to dial any calls, you should be able to receive calls and the phone should ring.
    I assume it's a standard telephone line from Eir?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

cml387 wrote: »
    I assume it's a standard telephone line from Eir?

Even if it's a Virgin Media phone line hanging off a router or a Horizon box, the same rules apply. They're all analog lines which require DTMF dialling. There is a myth out there that the phone service from VM is 'digital', it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭parkerpen

You'd imagine they would be making reproduction models more readily available that are compatible with the new system. Older style phones are really fashionable.

Advertisement