Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job - Company Finishing times differ from recruitment agency

Options
  • 21-03-2017 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

I applied for a job through a recruitment agency. I got called to the agency for an interview. Here, they told me about the job and said they were going to forward my CV to the company. The job has a yearly fixed salary. One of the perks of the job was they said it was a 9-5 M-F.
    I got called for interview by the company and later got offered the job. I start in a few weeks. My contract arrived today. On it, it says my working hours are M-F 9-5.30 And that unpaid overtime will be expected on rare occasions.
    I will be relying on public transport and if I dont take the 5.30 bus (10 mins walk from office), I will have a 2 hour wait to the next bus.
    Do you think its worth saying anything to the recruitment agency who said it was 9-5? Or wait until I start the job and ask if I could start 10mins earlier/take 10mins less for lunch and finish 10 mins earlier?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

I would say start the job and have the chat with your boss. Any normal human being would be fine with your suggestion given the long wait you would have for the next bus. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

Cheers Hubba, I was thinking the same

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

hubba wrote:
    I would say start the job and have the chat with your boss. Any normal human being would be fine with your suggestion given the long wait you would have for the next bus. Best of luck.

Don't wait to start the job. Ask for some leeway to be put in your contract on the basis that you were told it would be 9 - 5 given your transport circumstances. The company would in all likelihood offer a half hours lunch instead of a full hour.

It well just be awkward for everyone to leave it to be sorted after you start.

Advertisement