Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scrappage deal question on really old car.

Options
  • 21-03-2017 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

I am looking for some advice on buying a new car for my OH.

She is currently driving a 1998 VW POLO which is taxed and NCT'd until Jan 2018 but will not last much longer. We have had the car for years now and have got more than our moneys worth from it. To be honest I was thinking of just selling it for scrap and buying a new one but my friends think I would be mad to do this.

I have got the cash saved to buy a new small car (was thinking of a Yaris) and our friends were saying that we should go for a scrappage deal at a local Toyota dealers and we should get around €2000 for our Polo. I find that hard to believe as the Polo at this stage would be worth next to nothing and I thought that the scrappage deal ended a number of years ago when all of
    the older cars were taken off the road.

However, I do not drive myself and I do not know a great deal about cars or buying so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Lazy Bhoy

I have just copied and pasted the result :eek:

THE AVERAGE TRADE-IN VALUE OF YOUR CAR IS
    €913
    GOOD NEWS!
    WE WILL GUARANTEE YOU €4,000
    IF YOU TRADE IN AGAINST A 171 NISSAN PULSAR (PETROL)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There's no official scrappage deals taking old cars off the road, it's simply manufacturers and dealers offering good trade in deals for cars, normally €4k, most of the cars end up resold and are put back on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

There's no official scrappage deals taking old cars off the road, it's simply manufacturers and dealers offering good trade in deals for cars, normally €4k, most of the cars end up resold and are put back on the road.
    yes, spot on, it's called a scrappage deal but not as cars are sold on. I got this deal last year.

That is great news, I honestly wasn't expecting this :-)

Can anybody who has done this tell me anything about the process eg: how long it takes or when do they actually take our old car. Do I pay up front? Will we be without a car for a few weeks? Do I need to choose a finance package with the dealer or can I pay by cash?

Sorry if the questions seem basic but I have never had to buy a car before and we bought the previous car from a relative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Lazy Bhoy wrote: »
    I have just copied and pasted the result :eek:

THE AVERAGE TRADE-IN VALUE OF YOUR CAR IS
    €913
    GOOD NEWS!
    WE WILL GUARANTEE YOU €4,000
    IF YOU TRADE IN AGAINST A 171 NISSAN PULSAR (PETROL)

There's a catch (it's in the last line!)

Op it's really a marketing ploy to be honest. But not a bad thing.

Lets say you walk into a dealer and want a straight purchase, no trade-in. They could easily give you 2k off list price in many instances.

Bmw and Mercedes were giving 10% of car value for instance.

Now you walk in with a car worth a certain amount but can't be bothered or will find difficult to sell. They give you the 2k they were originally given you without a trade-in and another 2k for your car, which they can move on to a smaller dealer.

If it helps them get rebates at end of quarter, it's worth it.

Yep, joking aside it's quite a good offer.

Yes it looks like a great deal.

Like I mentioned in my earlier post, we had the money saved for a new car anyway and I was expecting to get next to nothing for our old car so it is a nice bonus for us and if it works out we will be well chuffed with that.

Hyundai are doing scrappage as well.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Hyundai are doing scrappage as well.

Cheers, I will take a look at them too.

That is great news, I honestly wasn't expecting this :-)

Can anybody who has done this tell me anything about the process eg: how long it takes or when do they actually take our old car. Do I pay up front? Will we be without a car for a few weeks? Do I need to choose a finance package with the dealer or can I pay by cash?

Sorry if the questions seem basic but I have never had to buy a car before and we bought the previous car from a relative.
    some dealers have this offer, others may have a different offer e.g. zero interest rate. Check the websites. You can pay a deposit of a few hundred euro to secure the deal, then arrange a collection time to pick up new car and on same day drop off the trade in, so you will not be without a car. You can pay by cash, card or cheque. Or whatever method suits but I don't think you can avail of scrappage deal and a finance deal. It's one or the other as far as I know.

Yes August12, we have been saving for a couple of years now because we knew that our old car was coming to the end of the road so we have the money to pay for it without finance so if it works out that we get a deal like that for our old car then that is great.

Can't decide now between a Toyota Yaris or Nissan Note. It seems that Nissan offer more for the old car but then charge double for delivery so I am looking at both websites at the moment for other hidden charges.

Yes August12, we have been saving for a couple of years now because we knew that our old car was coming to the end of the road so we have the money to pay for it without finance so if it works out that we get a deal like that for our old car then that is great.

Can't decide now between a Toyota Yaris or Nissan Note. It seems that Nissan offer more for the old car but then charge double for delivery so I am looking at both websites at the moment for other hidden charges.
    Also check the terms and conditions. Offer seems to end March 31st but most likely will be available again for July if you want a 172 number plate.

http://www.scrappageguarantee.ie/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwnsPGBRDo4c6RqK-Oqu8BEiQAwNviCSotGxc_zWPuUmivRnSKFSwL4j0xiaxufYDQfIx_eWcaAulU8P8HAQ

Think only of full cost to buy and own new car. Don't worry if it's low interest rate, delivery charges, pcp, any of that rubbish.

The full cost is the full cost. The rest is just background music.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Note is being replaced later this year with a new Micra based model if that bothers you. Toyota Yaris is getting a major makeover in the next month or two also.

bmwguy wrote: »
    Think only of full cost to buy and own new car. Don't worry if it's low interest rate, delivery charges, pcp, any of that rubbish.

The full cost is the full cost. The rest is just background music.

Yes, I will be looking to just trade our old car with cash. So no interest rates or pcp or any of that. Like you said, just the cost to buy and own the car.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The Note is being replaced later this year with a new Micra based model if that bothers you. Toyota Yaris is getting a major makeover in the next month or two also.

Yes, ideally we would like to hang on for the 17 2 models but I am not too sure if our old car will last that long. It has been acting up lately and we cannot justify spending more money to have it repaired if a big problem occurs.

As I mentioned earlier, we were never expecting to get a deal like that for our old car so I don't really want to push our luck for the sake of a couple of months.

Yes, ideally we would like to hang on for the 17 2 models but I am not too sure if our old car will last that long. It has been acting up lately and we cannot justify spending more money to have it repaired if a big problem occurs.

As I mentioned earlier, we were never expecting to get a deal like that for our old car so I don't really want to push our luck for the sake of a couple of months.
    Right, you need to act fast so as car needs to be registered before 31st March to qualify for scrappage deal. That means the car you are buying will need to be in stock and it generally takes nearly a week or more for registration process from what I remember. Narrow your options down to one make and model and check a few local dealers for cost price to you. Generally there could be a few hundred euro in difference. A pity you can't hold out for new models. And double check your car qualifys for deal as I've read on one site the scrappage deal is for 00 reg and up. Think it might have been Toyota but you might need to double check that.

Thank you everyone for your advice.

Today I called a local Nissan dealership and they confirmed that the website was correct and that I would indeed get €4000 off the price of a Nissan Note if I was to use the old VW Polo as a trade in the scrappage deal.

We popped into them today and put down a €500 deposit on a Nissan Note SV. The only extra was for the metallic paint €550 and the delivery charge of €1000 which they explained on the phone before hand. I could have got a cheaper delivery charge from Toyota but then they also were willing to offer me less for my old car so that was more or less the same difference.

They did try to sell us a lot of extras which we felt that we did not need so we politely refused. They also gave us a lot of booklets for different protection policies (ie paint protection, fabric protections, service plans and stuff like that. I haven't had time to read through them yet but I cant see me buying them.

So all in all we are very happy and the car should be available to pick up early next week. :D

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Today I called a local Nissan dealership and they confirmed that the website was correct and that I would indeed get €4000 off the price of a Nissan Note if I was to use the old VW Polo as a trade in the scrappage deal.

We popped into them today and put down a €500 deposit on a Nissan Note SV. The only extra was for the metallic paint €550 and the delivery charge of €1000 which they explained on the phone before hand. I could have got a cheaper delivery charge from Toyota but then they also were willing to offer me less for my old car so that was more or less the same difference.

They did try to sell us a lot of extras which we felt that we did not need so we politely refused. They also gave us a lot of booklets for different protection policies (ie paint protection, fabric protections, service plans and stuff like that. I haven't had time to read through them yet but I cant see me buying them.

So all in all we are very happy and the car should be available to pick up early next week. :D

Thanks again.

Well done best of luck will be nice going from a very old car into a brand new one, did it once from a 1990 Hyundai (when Hyundais were muck) into a 2002 Peugeot 307 which is still in the family to this day.

Thanks again.
    don't bother with paint protection or fabric, waste of money. Maybe the service plan might be worth checking though and sensor parking is also very handy, this might be already in the car, worth having in my opinion. I didn't get it but wished I had. Makes parking a lot easier. Anyway, enjoy, a good deal and a nice car.

Advertisement