Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst TV programmes ever

• 21-03-2017 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭

What are the worst programmes (other than the obvious stuff) to find a place on TV? Let's not include all reality TV and all them The Voice type competitions, and let's take The Late Late Show and poor chatshows (e.g. The Frontline) in general out of the equation too. Let's not include regular soaps either as I am aware these generate feelings of the 2 extreme ends of the spectrum too! What apart from these would be the TV shows the drives one mad? And why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

What are the worst programmes (other than the obvious stuff) to find a place on TV? Let's not include all reality TV and all them The Voice type competitions, and let's take The Late Late Show and poor chatshows (e.g. The Frontline) in general out of the equation too. Let's not include regular soaps either as I am aware these generate feelings of the 2 extreme ends of the spectrum too! What apart from these would be the TV shows the drives one mad? And why?
    Everybody loves Raymond and the big bang theory both horrendous TV shows IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭twilight_singer

Give my head peace.

Northern Irish "sitcom"

Absolute poison.

Surely this one is too obvious...

I once downloaded an episode of Mrs. Brown's Boys to see what the fuss was all about. It was the Christmas episode. I genuinely thought I had accidentally downloaded a parody. Easily one of the worst things I have ever seen, but when you add the popularity of the show to the equation, it compounds an extra dimension of unfathomable confusion. Not only is it garbage, but huge numbers of people love it. It's identical to the fake show in Extras, "When the Whistle Blows". It's identical to a fake show created to emphasis that a man has completely sold out for lowest common dominator rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Many nominees for this title, and previous posters have given two outstanding candidates in Mrs Brown's Boys, and The Big Bang Theory. However, I would rate these as Emmy-worthy in comparison to the utter tripe that is Two and a Half Men. Hellish

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Blue Badger

The American version of The Inbetweeners was an affront to humanity.

And that's putting it delicately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

the gilmore girls
    7th Heaven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Upwardly Mobile. Nothing else can compare to it in terms of awfulness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Upwardly Mobile. Nothing else can compare to it in terms of awfulness.

Beat me too it, it's over 20 years old and still sends shivers.

Makes Mrs. Brown's Boys look like a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭BuyersRemorse

Apart from Mrs Brown's Boys, there's Citizen Khan, also on the BBC (and by the looks of it, sharing the same set). There was also a Jason Byrne sitcom a couple of years ago which made Mrs Brown look like Fawlty Towers by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Legend of the seeker. It was insulting to anyone who read the books.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway. I wish somebody would take the f**king thing away. Absolute dross, really forced humour.

Tipping Point. Watching somebody play a penny pusher, seriouly WTF? If you saw a crowd of people down the arcade watching somebody play one, you'd think they're not wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Tipping Point. Watching somebody play a penny pusher, seriouly WTF? If you saw a crowd of people down the arcade watching somebody play one, you'd think they're not wise.

I like Tipping Point. But l like most quiz shows all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭robbe

Quite possibly not the worst but getting there - Leave it to Mrs O'Brien.....think Father Ted played as a true life drama - it was meant to be a comedy but I defy anyone to find a laugh in there anywhere. Didn't really watch it just vaguely recall it being there and shuddering.

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/0331/778611-leave-it-to-mrs-obrien/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭NinetyForNone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Irish comedy definitely dominates .. and rightly so! Mrs Brown's Boys Christmas specials are certainly among the worst. Some other desperate ones have been mentioned too. I'd add The Walshes, Wagon's Den and the like too. Away from comedy, I'd have to place The Big Bow Wow in there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I once downloaded an episode of Mrs. Brown's Boys to see what the fuss was all about. It was the Christmas episode. I genuinely thought I had accidentally downloaded a parody. Easily one of the worst things I have ever seen, but when you add the popularity of the show to the equation, it compounds an extra dimension of unfathomable confusion. Not only is it garbage, but huge numbers of people love it. It's identical to the fake show in Extras, "When the Whistle Blows". It's identical to a fake show created to emphasis that a man has completely sold out for lowest common dominator rubbish.

The Christmas episodes of Mrs Brown's Boys are among the worst drivel ever committed to film. The first series of it in 2011 or so was mildly funny and escapism from the then depressing diet of doom and gloom on chatshows like The Frontline. By now, MBB has only gotten more and more idiotic. Those Christmas specials of last year and the year before are particularly awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Big Bang Theory and Mrs. Brown's Boys spring to mind for me. The former maybe not the worst thing I have literally ever seen committed to film, but it's the insane popularity that just leaves me baffled beyond words. I mean, I think something like Two and a Half Men is objectively quite terrible, but actually a welcome tonic compared to having to sit through BBT.

Moving to sort of more high-budget, cinematic TV - that show Terra Nova from a few years ago, hyped as the next big thing. Just so astoundingly bad you have to wonder how any expensive many-multi-million euro productions can pass through so many expansive, expensive production stages with endorsement, agreement, et al all around and still end up like that.

That show 'Olympus' on SyFy too - the backdrops look like they belong in a Resident Evil game from the PSX era. Why you'd attempt to do grandiose, large scale storytelling on a shoestring budget is beyond me. The result is as you'd expect and occasionally even worse.

I thought the US Inbetweeners was dull and pointless but not inherently god-awful, but....check out the pilot to the UK version of That 70's Show. It's painfully bad, and almost impossible to sit through, and looks like it was actually made in the 60's rather than the late 90's.

On a similar note....the US pilot of The IT Crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

If not the worst, it's at least one of the most depressing looking, non funny shows...Birds of a Feather :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway. I wish somebody would take the f**king thing away. Absolute dross, really forced humour.

You actually watch those two programs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    I like Tipping Point. But l like most quiz shows all the same.

It is the stupidest quiz ever, I've seen harder questions on This Morning competitions!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

One rightly forgotten atrocity from RTE was The Last Furlong. Simon Delaney from Batchelor's Walk playing a Portugese guy with accompanying stupid accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Terra Nova is s good shout for non comedy.

I liked the premise so much that i stubbornly watched through a few episodes before admitting this is a catastrophe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I remember watching the pilot Of Under The Dome and thinking "this is some of the very worst acting I've seen in a show". I nearly always give shows a few episodes, but I just couldn't give it another try.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Vicar of Dibley. Not funny at all. Put me right off Dawn French.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the last X files series and the Macgyver reboot

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Sam Kade wrote: »
    You actually watch those two programs?

Tipping Point would be on in the work canteen. The other half watches Takeaway, so I just have to grin and bear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Buttros

I try to watch some of the Netflix originals when they come out. There has been a few clangers but "Haters Back Off" was the worst ive ever seen. I don't think I lasted 5 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭duvetdayss

Anything to do with Daniel O'Donnell sweet jaysus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UxUUDr0C-as

Cop Rock. A musical cop series from 1990. An hour every Monday night on
    Network 2 I will never have again, as flat mate owned the TV and the remote control...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Has anyone witnessed the horror that is Say yes to the dress? A show about 21 year old women picking out wedding dresses.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Tipping Point would be on in the work canteen. The other half watches Takeaway, so I just have to grin and bear it.

Why not.. do something else while she watches it? Sounds like a cop out and you actually love watching it because it's so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Tipping Point may not be the greatest game show ever created... but, for heaven's sake, it's not the worst game show ever created either.

After all, it has general knowledge questions - something which can't be said for Deal or No Deal (which it pretty much killed off) or our own Winning Streak. And for the most part, if you don't answer these questions correctly, you don't get to put any counters into the machine.

Also, let's not forget that, like most other game shows these days, the contestants are chosen for their personalities and not for their general knowledge. And most of them are likeable, regardless of how much they know.

Finally, there's the pressure of being in that studio with the hot lights, the rolling cameras, and the knowledge that millions of people are going to be watching. And some of the remarkably wrong answers on Tipping Point - and indeed on shows like Pointless, The Chase, or from an earlier era the Weakest Link - come about simply because of that pressure.

Again, I'm not saying in any way that Tipping Point is a really great game show - I'm just trying to explain why I don't think it deserves to get so much stick.

And there are at least five game shows I could name that are/were genuinely worse - and which I could provide clips of, too:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

The Wall

human-tetris-wall.gif

TheChevron wrote: »
    The Wall

human-tetris-wall.gif

You mean Hole in the Wall. :)

Yes, that was pretty rubbish too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

TheChevron wrote: »
    The Wall

human-tetris-wall.gif

that looks great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

Ally McBeal and Dawson's Creek have to be up there. Shudder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

These 5 shows are absolutely appalling:

Brown's Boys
    Big Bang Theory
    Ray D'Arcy Sat nite
    X Factor
    Ireland's The Voice!

Oh, and any show those two twats, Ant and Dec are on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Anything with Philip Scofield.

No problem with him, but anything he's been on since Blue Peter is lowest common denominator vacuous horsesh*t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

When you mention quiz shows, how can you leave out "Going for Gold"?
    Peculiar attempt to embarrass contestants from across Europe by asking questions in their second or third language. Months of cringe, and all to win a weeks holiday in Australia....

Highway with Harry Secombe...as Bernard Manning once said. If I see that screeching bas€&rd, Harry Seecombe on Highway I'll knock the cu*t down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭George White

What kills the series is the nepotism, that O'Carroll doesn't seem to realise that his friends and family bar his sister and possibly son, while suitable for an adult pantomime stage show can't work on a sitcom. The daughter/daughter-in-law are too wooden and come across as too cold and dislikable, the ill-suited "serious" storylines show that he is trying to be John Sullivan, but the storylines e.g. "Mark is illiterate" feel like a sub-On the Move educational series made by RTE for 12 year olds.

walshb wrote: »
    Oh, and any show those two twats, Ant and Dec are on!

Even SM:TV?!? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Anything with Philip Scofield.

No problem with him, but anything he's been on since Blue Peter is lowest common denominator vacuous horsesh*t.

You're thinking of either the Broom Cupboard or Going Live!. :)

And I'm not sure I'd call The Cube "lowest common denominator vacuous horsesh*t"... :o:o;)

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    When you mention quiz shows, how can you leave out "Going for Gold"?
    Peculiar attempt to embarrass contestants from across Europe by asking questions in their second or third language. Months of cringe, and all to win a weeks holiday in Australia....

I'd put Tipping Point in the same category as Going for Gold - a popular game show mainly because it's a bit rubbish. :D;)

I'd put 3-2-1, Strike it Lucky/Rich and even Bullseye in this category too... :o:o:D;)

On the other hand, the shows I provided clips of in post #34 were much more rubbish and much less popular.

Speaking of GFG... the French version, Questions Pour Un Champion, is still on the air after nearly 30 years. :eek: :eek: :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Modern Family, nauseatingly unfunny, it's popularity only adds to my distain.

Impractical Jokers, just terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I have never seen an episode of Upwardly Mobile or The Cassidys, but given the love (and by love I mean hate) expressed for them on this and other threads over the years, I actually want to see them to see for myself how bad they are!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I find those Reality Bits documentaries are terrible sometimes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I have never seen an episode of Upwardly Mobile or The Cassidys, but given the love (and by love I mean hate) expressed for them on this and other threads over the years, I actually want to see them to see for myself how bad they are!

There's a couple of episodes of Upwardly Mobile on Youtube if you feel like losing the will to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Mrs Brown's Boys

Absolute tripe! do not understand how people find this funny, it is the ultimate cringe fest at best

• Advertisement
Advertisement