Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

minimum wage???

Options
  • 22-03-2017 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a student (over 18) working part time on weekends/holidays in the same business for the past 3 years. When I started I was on 7.70ish an hour as far as I remember, and now Im on 8.55/hour. I understand the national minimum is now 9.25/hour, and am wondering if being paid lower than this is illegal, or if there are circumstances where lower than minimum wage can be paid? Thanks for any responses

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

How old are you? If you've been working for two years since turning 18 (i.e. if you're 20) then you're entitled to the minimum wage of €9.25.

If it's your first year of employment since turning 18, you're entitled to €7.40. If it's your second year of employment since turning 18, you're entitled to €8.33.

See here from citizens info.

Advertisement