If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to square one (Cinema system)

Options
  • 22-03-2017 3:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭

So after upgrading my tv last month i am again thinking about speakers for my sitting room setup (Pc , Ps4 etc )

I have looked at everything from sound bars to all in one cinema systems to av receiver and speaker packages i even considered logitech z906 pc speakers.

Bascially i still dont have a clue what to finally settle with.

I have asked about this in the past but nearly everytime i look at upgrading sometime else comes up so im back to square one yet again.

Ive been looking at the pros and cons of every option.

I like the fact most of the all in one systems including what i already have the rear speakers are wired separately so theres no wires running all over the room.

The size of the actual AV receivers themselves are a concern for me plus the fact any speakers attached to a receiver would have the issue mentioned above of wires running from the one side of the room to the other.

The price of all in one systems can run fairly high and systems pieced together are mostly even higher priced again so this is obviously an issue as id be looking for something as nicely priced as possible which is why i was looking at the logitech pc speakers.

Volume levels would be a major thing for me as well considering the walls here seem paper thin at times so id need a system that sounds good at low levels just as much as extremely high! 

Audio quailty is obviously important though as when i tend to invest in technology id rather pay for something that will last and perform over time.

So long story short i guess what are my options in general ? I mean im not looking to start up a cinema! i just want an upgrade on what i already have (Old samsung 1000 watt tower speaker cinema system) that i can perform very well for Music Tv shows Movies and Gaming.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Possibly what you are looking for is AV nirvana and at the moment I'm not compact AV receiver with wireless speakers and excellent audio quality - unfortunately I have to say that at the moment I don't know of such a beast - but I do know that PC Logitech speakers just wont cut it!

We don't do any proper AV receivers which have the option of wireless rear speakers - however Denon via their HEOS brand are just about to launch an interesting soundbar as part of the HEOS network system - this is quite a weighty piece of kit and includes a optional wireless subwoofer AND critically the option of truly wireless rear speakers ( ie not even mains wires if you use the battery packs & the HEOS 1 rear speakers) 

Have a look at the Denon video here: 

We expect it to arrive in the next few weeks at approx £799 (ish) for the soundbar..

Thanks again and keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Possibly what you are looking for is AV nirvana and at the moment I'm not compact AV receiver with wireless speakers and excellent audio quality - unfortunately I have to say that at the moment I don't know of such a beast - but I do know that PC Logitech speakers just wont cut it!

We don't do any proper AV receivers which have the option of wireless rear speakers - however Denon via their HEOS brand are just about to launch an interesting soundbar as part of the HEOS network system - this is quite a weighty piece of kit and includes a optional wireless subwoofer AND critically the option of truly wireless rear speakers ( ie not even mains wires if you use the battery packs & the HEOS 1 rear speakers) 

We expect it to arrive in the next few weeks at approx £799 (ish) for the soundbar..

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Thanks for the reply!

That system sounds interesting I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Would cable management with standard speakers be a straight forward job?

I'd have to plan out my sitting room to see how it would be possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Thanks for the reply!

Hi guys

Just to interject here 

I have run my speaker wires around my sitting room behind the skirting board,removed skirting board placed wires behind and then used screws as opposed to nails to put back in place for easy future access,helps when the walls need to be painted too as i just flip over the skirting board and it provides a natural protector for the floor and no need for masking,double benefit :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

clintondaly,

I appreciate that your intention is to be helpful but queries on this forum are for Richersounds to answer, Boardies input/advice is not appropriate here - please have a quick read of the Charter, all is explained clearly there.

Taking account of the nature of the issue I'm not snipping your post but would ask you not to offer input like this again, please feel free to offer advice opinion etc in the Home Entertainment forum any time you like.

Ritz.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Thanks for the reply!

Hi How Soon is now,

Cable management can be quite straightforward but really depends on how well you want the cables hidden. The way to do it properly (i.e. completely hidden) would involve either tracking walls or hiding behind skirting boards. You can tack cable along skirting as a quick and easy alternative using a very thin gauge cable like the Cambridge Audio Ultra Micro or the QED Micro. But like I say it depends to what extent you want to hide the cables.

I hope this information has been helpful.

Many thanks

David

• Advertisement

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Thanks for the reply!

Hi How Soon is now,

Cable management can be quite straightforward but really depends on how well you want the cables hidden. The way to do it properly (i.e. completely hidden) would involve either tracking walls or hiding behind skirting boards. You can tack cable along skirting as a quick and easy alternative using a very thin gauge cable like the Cambridge Audio Ultra Micro or the QED Micro. But like I say it depends to what extent you want to hide the cables.

Many thanks

David
    Id like things as neat and tidy as possible cause i already have a load of cables behind the tv with the unit i have already. Is there currently any all in one cinema systems that would compare to a av receiver and speakers setup that wont cost an absolute fortune? Ive seen Atmos systems mentioned but your talking at least a grand.

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Thanks for the reply!

Hi How Soon is now,

Many thanks

David
    Id like things as neat and tidy as possible cause i already have a load of cables behind the tv with the unit i have already. Is there currently any all in one cinema systems that would compare to a av receiver and speakers setup that wont cost an absolute fortune? Ive seen Atmos systems mentioned but your talking at least a grand.
    Sorry for the delay getting back to you.

There aren't many that sound as good as an A/V system unless you go for something like the Samsung HWK950 atmos soundbar which has wireless rear speakers. I have heard this running though and it is very impressive!

Kind regards

David

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Thanks for the reply!

Hi How Soon is now,

Many thanks

David

There aren't many that sound as good as an A/V system unless you go for something like the Samsung HWK950 atmos soundbar which has wireless rear speakers. I have heard this running though and it is very impressive!

Kind regards

David

Ok cool no problem.

So if you where looking at a budget of about 500 to 600 euro for an good future proof av system what kinda brands should I be looking at?

I've looked around it's mostly the receivers that confuse me!

Thanks.

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Thanks for the reply!

Hi How Soon is now,

Many thanks

David

Kind regards

David

Ok cool no problem.

So if you where looking at a budget of about 500 to 600 euro for an good future proof av system what kinda brands should I be looking at?

I've looked around it's mostly the receivers that confuse me!

Thanks.

Was looking into Yamaha receivers before this seems a really good entry level option.

Yamaha RXV381 MusicCast 5 Channel AV Reciever - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01E3W8CM8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_FNt1ybZCX51MT

Not sure about speaker packages and stands though.

• Advertisement

Was looking into Yamaha receivers before this seems a really good entry level option.

Yamaha RXV381 MusicCast 5 Channel AV Reciever - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01E3W8CM8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_FNt1ybZCX51MT

Yeah the RXV381 is a very good little amp.

Currently priced at £249.00 with £6.99 shipping
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-201986-rxv381.aspx

We are still slightly cheaper than the Amazon price on the RXV381.

You could add the Denon SYS2020 speaker pack priced at £149.00
    http://www.richersounds.ie/cssearch.aspx?searchterm=sys2020

Stands to fit would be the peerless SPK510 at ££29.95 per pair.
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-11533-spk510.aspx

Let me know what you think.

Yeah the RXV381 is a very good little amp.

Currently priced at £249.00 with £6.99 shipping
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-201986-rxv381.aspx

We are still slightly cheaper than the Amazon price on the RXV381.

You could add the Denon SYS2020 speaker pack priced at £149.00
    http://www.richersounds.ie/cssearch.aspx?searchterm=sys2020

Stands to fit would be the peerless SPK510 at ££29.95 per pair.
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-11533-spk510.aspx

I'm half hungover so my brain can't take it all in right now hahaha but I assume I'll need speaker cable as well?

....just as a side note reference your amazon link above - that title is completely misleading i my view - I'm pretty sure that the RXV381 is NOT Musiccast enabled ( From memory its the only RXV that is NOT music cast!)

http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201986-rxv381.aspx

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

....just as a side note reference your amazon link above - that title is completely misleading i my view - I'm pretty sure that the RXV381 is NOT Musiccast enabled ( From memory its the only RXV that is NOT music cast!)

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Noticed that to that in reviews I mentioned not having any of those features.

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

No problem at all How Soon is now.

Once you have looked over all the options above let me know if any do suit.

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

No problem at all How Soon is now.

Once you have looked over all the options above let me know if any do suit.
    Cheers im basically at this stage just waiting on a bit more money to come together before i bankrupt myself fully! ha.

Is there any other similar priced receivers/speakers i should look at first that might perform better or be worth spending little bit extra on for features?

Also i know this probably isn't relevant to anyone here but i have this 100 euro one for all voucher hanging around which would be handy to use in this sense if you know of any places i could use it on to pick up anything i might need to go alongside the main equipment.

HSIN,

unfortunately we don't take ONE For All Vouchers as they demand too much commission for warehousing your money! :confused: 

However if you can find a company that takes it that also sells a Chromecast you may want to grab one to add to an RXV381 ( if that was what you wanted to go for of course) as that will make it smart and enable multi room control and streaming etc.

If you were looking for ( wired) options to the RXV381 you could also look at the Yamaha YHT1810 package which is a decent Yamaha AV Receiver with a 5.1 speaker kit and its now just £229 / €299 ( the euro price includes shipping):
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-200708-yht1810.aspx?swapstore=1

Thanks again and keep us posted if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

HSIN,

unfortunately we don't take ONE For All Vouchers as they demand too much commission for warehousing your money! :confused: 

However if you can find a company that takes it that also sells a Chromecast you may want to grab one to add to an RXV381 ( if that was what you wanted to go for of course) as that will make it smart and enable multi room control and streaming etc.

If you were looking for ( wired) options to the RXV381 you could also look at the Yamaha YHT1810 package which is a decent Yamaha AV Receiver with a 5.1 speaker kit and its now just £229 / €299 ( the euro price includes shipping):

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

HSIN,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

I think the RXV381 looks a much better receiver for what I'm looking for.

How are the denon speakers for size and placement? The look an awkward shape especially for thr center speaker.

HSIN,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

How are the denon speakers for size and placement? The look an awkward shape especially for thr center speaker.
    Hey How Soon Is Now.

We have never had any issues from customer who have purchased these in the past. Boston Acoustics also made a similar speaker many years ago and it was a best seller.

The design may not be every ones taste but it doesn't affect the sound quality.

The link below has most of our speaker packages, have a look and see if anything else may catch your eye:
    http://www.richersounds.ie/c-57-SpeakerPackages.aspx

• Advertisement

HSIN,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hey How Soon Is Now.

We have never had any issues from customer who have purchased these in the past. Boston Acoustics also made a similar speaker many years ago and it was a best seller.

The link below has most of our speaker packages, have a look and see if anything else may catch your eye:

Hi again just having a look over all of this again and wondering how the Yamaha RXV381 would fair paired up with the Wharferdale DX1 SE speakers?

HSIN,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hey How Soon Is Now.

Hi again just having a look over all of this again and wondering how the Yamaha RXV381 would fair paired up with the Wharferdale DX1 SE speakers?

Hi How Soon Is Now,

The RXV381 paired with the DX1SE is a very good system. The speakers sound incredible and are very well matched with the Yamaha which is one of the best entry level AV receivers.

David

HSIN,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hey How Soon Is Now.

Hi How Soon Is Now,

The RXV381 paired with the DX1SE is a very good system. The speakers sound incredible and are very well matched with the Yamaha which is one of the best entry level AV receivers.

David

Great so the only other thing I'd need would be stands for those speakers. Do the speakers come with cable or?

Thanks!

HSIN,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hey How Soon Is Now.

Hi How Soon Is Now,

David

Great so the only other thing I'd need would be stands for those speakers. Do the speakers come with cable or?

Thanks!
    Unfortunately there are no included cables with this system.

Kind regards

David

HSIN,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hey How Soon Is Now.

Hi How Soon Is Now,

David

Thanks!

Kind regards

David

Ok no problem do yous stock cable yourselves or? Would you be able to recommend stand for the speaker s to?

Cheers.

HSIN,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hey How Soon Is Now.

Hi How Soon Is Now,

David

Thanks!

Kind regards

David

Ok no problem do yous stock cable yourselves or? Would you be able to recommend stand for the speaker s to?

Cheers.
    We do stock cable. It is sold by the meter. I would recommend two types which are both thin gauge and easy to hide. The first is the most basic Symphony 100 at £1.19 per meter. The next is the Cambridge Ultra Micro at £3.19 per meter. This is a much better cable and gives a better sound than the stranded copper.

For stands it depends on the height you are looking to put the speakers to. Most of our stands are Hifi stands designed for larger bookshelf speakers. You could have a look at both the Omnimount ELO stands which are taller and designed more for satellite speakers or the Pixel T80s which are still tall but take a larger speaker base.

Kind regards

David

HSIN,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hey How Soon Is Now.

Hi How Soon Is Now,

David

Thanks!

Kind regards

David

Cheers.
    We do stock cable. It is sold by the meter. I would recommend two types which are both thin gauge and easy to hide. The first is the most basic Symphony 100 at £1.19 per meter. The next is the Cambridge Ultra Micro at £3.19 per meter. This is a much better cable and gives a better sound than the stranded copper.

For stands it depends on the height you are looking to put the speakers to. Most of our stands are Hifi stands designed for larger bookshelf speakers. You could have a look at both the Omnimount ELO stands which are taller and designed more for satellite speakers or the Pixel T80s which are still tall but take a larger speaker base.

Kind regards

David
    Thanks for the detailed reply I'll have a proper look later when I'm home from work! 

HSIN,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hey How Soon Is Now.

Hi How Soon Is Now,

David

Thanks!

Kind regards

David

Cheers.

Kind regards

David
    Thanks for the detailed reply I'll have a proper look later when I'm home from work! 
    No problem, keep me posted.

Ok so im going to go along with what i have picked out but i need to sort a couple of issues out first.

First and the biggest issue is how im going to run the cables from the rear speakers to the receiver. Its not a massive room but its not small either so its gonna be a bit of a job to avoid having cables going across the floor. What that also means is im more then likely going to have to buy a large amount of cable. Im going to have to look into this before i buy anything.

The other thing i have noticed is does it make a difference if the ohms for the speakers is 4 and the ohms for the receiver is 6 ??

• Advertisement

Thanks for keeping us posted - the RXV381 is happy at 6-8 Ohms but it will work no problem down to 4 Ohms and the partnership with the Wharfedale DX1 XE - the Sub is only driven at passive line out level from the receiver so the receiver does not have to work too hard to drive the satellites.

If you wanted a bundle price on the Wharfedale RXV381 / Wharfedale DX1 we can do them as a bundle with 20 mtrs of Cambridge Audio Symphony 100 speaker cable at £499 / €599.

Thanks again and keep us posted when you are ready to take the plunge,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.