Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't catch a salmon for the life of me

• 22-03-2017 11:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭

I have been fishing for salmon for two seasons. I am 17 so this is my last year of the ten euro juvenile licence so its about to get expensive. I've spent good money on good fishing spots over the past two salmon seasons and I can't get one. Last year I was fishing and there was hundreds of salmon jumping throughout the day and they wouldn't take anything. Glenda Powell was fly fishing and she caught nothing either. I fish the Munster Blackwater at Glendas beats a lot. I get really disheartened when I see people catching their first salmon the first time they ever fished in their lives. I try a load of places. I spin fish but I dont know about trying worm as Im not really into worm. I got a take on my single handed fly rod when I was fishing for trout but he didnt stay on. This year Glenda is helping me take up double handed fly fishing and I am hoping to catch my first on the fly or Ill settle for one on the spinner, but I am hoping I catch a salmon this year to make my efforts seem worth it. Is there any tips to help me with this? I was fishing the Bandon and a good grilse followed the spinner right up to my feet but did not take the hook. this was two years ago and I still remember this experience fully and sometimes I get upset that he didnt take. Im going to stick at it but am getting a bit disheartened

Thank You

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,698 ✭✭✭corks finest

Olwas2014 wrote: »
    I have been fishing for salmon for two seasons. I am 17 so this is my last year of the ten euro juvenile licence so its about to get expensive. I've spent good money on good fishing spots over the past two salmon seasons and I can't get one. Last year I was fishing and there was hundreds of salmon jumping throughout the day and they wouldn't take anything. Glenda Powell was fly fishing and she caught nothing either. I fish the Munster Blackwater at Glendas beats a lot. I get really disheartened when I see people catching their first salmon the first time they ever fished in their lives. I try a load of places. I spin fish but I dont know about trying worm as Im not really into worm. I got a take on my single handed fly rod when I was fishing for trout but he didnt stay on. This year Glenda is helping me take up double handed fly fishing and I am hoping to catch my first on the fly or Ill settle for one on the spinner, but I am hoping I catch a salmon this year to make my efforts seem worth it. Is there any tips to help me with this? I was fishing the Bandon and a good grilse followed the spinner right up to my feet but did not take the hook. this was two years ago and I still remember this experience fully and sometimes I get upset that he didnt take. Im going to stick at it but am getting a bit disheartened

Thank You

Aldi,or Dunnes,I always get one first cast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭.red.

I'm guessing a lot of lads here won't bother answering you.
    From what i remember, every time you come on asking for help you go away and do the opposite of what advise you are given.
    It might sound harsh but people won't go to the effort of typing out a reply, just for you to ignore it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭Olwas2014

I don't remember doing that. My brother did it, not me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭.red.

I don't remember doing that. My brother did it, not me

If that's the case then I apologize!

.red. wrote:
    If that's the case then I apologize!

That's okay Red. I am truly sorry if you are right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

First off catching a salmon can be easy or hard, that's it simply, I'm teen at the moment and have caught a good few salmon for 3 seasons since I've started. I only fly fish, no other methods I was thinking of starting spin fishing this year still unclear, with salmon there a very complex fish, you catch them depends on a lot of reasons, like the water temp, is it high or low temperature? Is the river in flood? If so when was the last flood since that flood I mean it's very complicated, lucky for you, you have some great rivers near by you, normally you pay the price but in return there's a good chance of catching. Your doing the right thing by getting a lesson from glenda I herd that she's great things, it's just about dedication and keep going to the river when the conditions are right, it'll take a while to know when to hit the river at the right time. As for methods your only fishing the fly correct? If so try and have a good selection of flys and sizes, try and match the river condition to size of the hook. If you get me. Normally for grilse I'd only use sz 10's to 16's

First off catching a salmon can be easy or hard, that's it simply, I'm teen at the moment and have caught a good few salmon for 3 seasons since I've started. I only fly fish, no other methods I was thinking of starting spin fishing this year still unclear, with salmon there a very complex fish, you catch them depends on a lot of reasons, like the water temp, is it high or low temperature? Is the river in flood? If so when was the last flood since that flood I mean it's very complicated, lucky for you, you have some great rivers near by you, normally you pay the price but in return there's a good chance of catching. Your doing the right thing by getting a lesson from glenda I herd that she's great things, it's just about dedication and keep going to the river when the conditions are right, it'll take a while to know when to hit the river at the right time. As for methods your only fishing the fly correct? If so try and have a good selection of flys and sizes, try and match the river condition to size of the hook. If you get me. Normally for grilse I'd only use sz 10's to 16's

Thank you for that

Thank you for that

No problem there very ify as in you could go in drought conditions and catch! There very unpredictable whether they'd take or not I remember covering with the fly when there was fish all around me for hours in one beat and no luck! Your not the only one that took a few years to catch one!

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭con___manx1

i caught my first salmon fishing with a size 10 gold headed nymph. i was just fishing for trout and got lucky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

Went a year fishing for salmon with fly no luck ,and then one evening while fishing sedge for trout i let the fly go down stream to light a fag and had the rod under my arm and hooked into a5 pound grilse 3 lb pound cast the battle went on for ages i landed him but if that was not luck i dont know what was ,the funny thing after that i started getting fish when i was fishing for them i think it was all about the first one ,it all came togeather so keep the head down and dont give up it will happen hopfully sooner than later.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭shugy

A big net and you'll have them on the bank in no time! N sore back from standing all day aswell.

That's a joke above! Don't even consider using a net because its illegal and itll clean the rivers out in no time from fish. Stick to legal methods , ask for help and you'll be landing them in no time. Good luck

I would like to update. On Monday I was fishing the river blackwater on Upper kilmurry with Glenda Powell. She thought me how to use the double handed fly rod also and I really enjoyed it. After the lesson a big salmon took my fly. I was delighted but the sad thing is that the hook came out. I was devastated but still happy with the experience

I would like to update. On Monday I was fishing the river blackwater on Upper kilmurry with Glenda Powell. She thought me how to use the double handed fly rod also and I really enjoyed it. After the lesson a big salmon took my fly. I was delighted but the sad thing is that the hook came out. I was devastated but still happy with the experience

Nice to hear someone getting out haven't been out, should get one this season your fishing really decent rivers, also never strike into the salmon leave it a few secound s to allow the salmon to turn the gently bend into the salmon..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

As a matter of interest, how much that cost you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I have never gotten lessons but I meet a chap on the banks regularly who was taught by Glenda - the guy (is a dick) has some serious moves - I have never seen casting like it - beautiful to watch!

ardinn wrote: »
    I have never gotten lessons but I meet a chap on the banks regularly who was taught by Glenda - the guy (is a dick) has some serious moves - I have never seen casting like it - beautiful to watch!

A lot of them about :D really and truly all you need to know is, single spay that would get you anywhere in Ireland, and the overhead casting too.. no real need for all that fancy casting in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

A lot of them about :D really and truly all you need to know is, single spay that would get you anywhere in Ireland, and the overhead casting too.. no real need for all that fancy casting in my opinion.

Yeah, but, y'know - i wanna be that dick!!!

I got thought the roll cast and the double Spey by Glenda

SeaFields wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, how much that cost you?

She didnt charge me anything. Its usually 50 euro an hour. She also allowed me to fish the day for nothing. I tried to pay her but she wouldnt let me. That says a lot about her generosity. I only saw your post now hence the slow reply

blackpearl wrote: »
    Went a year fishing for salmon with fly no luck ,and then one evening while fishing sedge for trout i let the fly go down stream to light a fag and had the rod under my arm and hooked into a5 pound grilse 3 lb pound cast the battle went on for ages i landed him but if that was not luck i dont know what was ,the funny thing after that i started getting fish when i was fishing for them i think it was all about the first one ,it all came togeather so keep the head down and dont give up it will happen hopfully sooner than later.

I have been told by many fishing guides that that is the way it is. He said to me as well that all the salmon start coming once I catch the first!

• Advertisement
Advertisement