Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A ban on headphones and penalty point for cyclists...

Options
  • 22-03-2017 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭

..has been proposed by the Irish Road Haulage Association at the Oireachtas Committee for Transport.

Can't find a media link yet to see if they provided any research to back their calls up, heard it on the headlines on one of the wireless stations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

So will motorists be banned from using earphones or listening to music at a high volume while driving?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not that i'm expecting a different answer, but are they calling on a ban on headphones, or just a ban on cyclists wearing headphones?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,370 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

How do you give penalty points to cyclists who don't have a licence? :confused:

Sounds like a total headline/attention-grabber to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

not that i'm expecting a different answer, but are they calling on a ban on headphones, or just a ban on cyclists wearing headphones?

I was sure it was a ban on cyclists wearing headphones, but you have me doubting myself now given I was working at the time and only tuned into the story when I was 'triggered' by the mention of cyclists :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

I'm all for heavy fines but how do they expect to impose penalty points?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

This is a well thought out proposal. :P

I wear a skull cap during the winter, how would anyone be able to tell if I had a in-ear headphone underneath it?

Seems like CEO of the Farm Contractors Association, who were also at the same committee today, is a closet member of boards.ie
    Speaking at a hearing of the Oireachtas Transport Committee today, Michael Moroney CEO of the Farm Contractors Association (FCI) said the requirement to allow 1.5 metre space to overtake a cyclist is difficult to achieve with tractors in many N and R grade roads.

"While it is legal to cycle two abreast, in many situations FCI members meet groups of cyclists travelling four abreast with little interest in other road users.

"We have noted that some of these cyclists are moving at speeds in excess of 40km/hr while the proposal is that tractors at these speeds have to undergo an NCT test.

"There is no special licence required, no formal training needed and and no NCT on bicycles that are rated for speeds in excess of 40km/hr.

"There are more accidents with cyclists than with tractors," he said.

http://www.independent.ie/business/farming/machinery/tractor-drivers-hit-out-at-cyclists-travelling-sometimes-four-abreast-on-country-roads-35555012.html
    no NCT on bicycles that are rated for speeds in excess of 40km/hr.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I read the thread title and immediately thought "Oh God, another motorist has found their way into the cycling forum"

Is that wrong of me?

Also, it does sound very headline grabbing, but would be entirely unenforceable to give cyclists penalty points.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

What about a ban on eejits wearing headphones while driving,not the usual earpiece for hands free but actual over the ear headphones.
    I've no problem with people wearing headphones while cycling,I've done it since I was young,the problem is forgetting to look around before pulling into traffic etc. That's a basic given whether walking across the road,driving or cycling.
    We've all seen people do stupid things when they forget about observation.
    I'm sure many here saw the video of the truck driver in England wiping out a family as he messed with his iPod while driving and hauliers want them banned for cyclists??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

http://www.irha.ie/contact-us.html

Perhaps they should be contacted regarding how moronic the idea is and that should we ban stereos from Trucks etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Tractorman's contribution is a feat of logical reasoning, the like of which hasn't been seen since the death of Aristotle. This man is wasted in the Farm Contractors Association.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ThisRegard wrote: »
    note the use of the photo showing three cyclists engaging in criminal behaviour, cycling three abreast across a road. a road that a car would not be able to pass a single cyclist on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Weepsie wrote: »
    http://www.irha.ie/contact-us.html

Perhaps they should be contacted regarding how moronic the idea is and that should we ban stereos from Trucks etc

Banning loud music from the cabs of large vehicles is probably a good thing.

However, given the drastically more severe consequences to a cyclist who is involved in a traffic accident, I feel it is fair to directly target cyclist behaviour that reduces their ability to concentrate on, and be aware of the traffic surrounding them.

In saying that, I'm not aware of any studies linking headphones with accidents (but I have never looked for them either)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

A cyclist was once given penalty points by a judge though? About five years ago?

(Not that this is a sensible proposal in general, I hasten to add.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

I heard it on Today Fm news there after 11am. I think it mentioned banning pedestrians and drivers using headphones too? And also, they want to make helmets compulsory, and a dress code, banning cyclists from wearing certain types of clothing like jeans. That last part sounds like a joke but yeah, apparently they've spend loads of money on research for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,370 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

tomasrojo wrote: »
    A cyclist was once given penalty points by a judge though? About five years ago?

(Not that this is a sensible proposal in general, I hasten to add.)
    To be attached to what, though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

It takes a special kind of nastiness and stupidity to conclude that the answer to lorries killing cyclists is to impose more penalties on cyclists.

Tractorman's contribution is a feat of logical reasoning, the like of which hasn't been seen since the death of Aristotle. This man is wasted in the Farm Contractors Association.

Old "Men have more teeth than women" Aristotle, eh?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    To be attached to what, though?

The cyclist had a driver's licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭DKmac

How much does a motorcyclist hear under their helmet? Or a driver with his stereo blasting? Or a pedestrian with headphones?

It comes down to personal vigilance and care. I've cycled many times with and without and can confirm that with headphones did not effect my ability to see what's coming at junctions or hold my road position. It also did not make me less visible to drivers as far as I know. Hearing what's coming behind me makes no difference once I hold my position on the road correctly. In my opinion a nervous cyclist would only be more erratic reacting to the sound of a big rig. Add to that most of the muppets who have no consideration for cyclists on the roads drive past at such a pace to prove their point that you don't hear them coming anyway. You wouldn't pass a horse and rider the way some motorists drive yet its ok for a cyclist to get the treatment.

Its a cop out for careless driving, "I smashed into the cyclist because he couldn't hear me" not "I should have been able to see him as I approached at a reasonable speed!".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    How do you give penalty points to cyclists who don't have a licence? :confused:

Sounds like a total headline/attention-grabber to me.

Well they can ban a driver who has never had a drivers licence. Though that's a bit of a logic fail seeing as to get the ban they would already be driving without a licence in the first place...

Fines yes, I can't see points working though.

To generalise, many of the really dodgy moves I see are made by cyclists wearing headphones seemingly in their own world (whether I'm driving or unfortunately less often, cycling). I'm talking genuinely dodgy close call stuff - changing Lane into faster moving traffic, undertaking a vehicle indicating left etc. Not just common or garden disobedience of the rules of the road...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I am somewhat disappointed at the lack of imagination in terms of suggested punishments. Penalty points for cyclists? Yawn. Why not roadside branding?

To generalise, many of the really dodgy moves I see are made by cyclists wearing headphones seemingly in their own world
    i think this is a classic case of confusion of correlation and causation though? the headphones did not turn them into idiots, they were born that way. or we blame the parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

DKmac wrote: »
    How much does a motorcyclist hear under their helmet?....

Good point - I used to wear earplugs in my ears because there is a sort of 'bell' effect as ye go faster on a bike (probably not relevant for city centres as ye can ride along there with the visor up and what have ye). It was fairly common as I understood it, it wasn't just me wearing them :)

edit: http://www.webbikeworld.com/Earplugs/earplugs.htm

And also, they want to make helmets compulsory
    i must write to them and ask them which bike helmets are HGV proof.

btw, can someone confirm it was the IRHA who made the calls? the indo article linked only mentions the Farm Contractors Association.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

Rules of the road should apply to cyclists aswell, most seem oblivious to observing any rules but their own. How to enforce it though is the hard part.
    Anyone who wears headphones either on a bike or driving a car is an idiot IMO with little regard for their own safety or the safety of others.

btw, can someone confirm it was the IRHA who made the calls? the indo article linked only mentions the Farm Contractors Association.

It's what I'm sure I heard on Newstalk, and I've been frantically trying to find an online source ever since!

edit: Just tuned in here for the live broadcast, http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/watchlisten/watchlive/committeeroom4/ and was immediately met by someone saying agreeing with the haulage rep that everybody should be wearing high-vis vests, pedestrians and cyclists.

The lady from the IRHA is making the point that a bulb can go in your light, like in vehicles, but a vest is not likely to blow off you.

EDIT @magicbastarder, I can rest easy now without fear of being sued for misrepresentation http://www.southeastradio.ie/2017/03/irha-wants-to-ban-headphones-for-cyclists-and-pedestrians/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
    A call’s been made for new laws to ban cyclists AND PEDESTRIANS wearing headphones.

The Irish Road Haulage Association’s suggested it at the Oireachtas Committee on Transport this morning.

They also want cyclists subjected to penalty points similar to other road users.

The groups President Verona Murphy says everyone who uses the roads should follow the same rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭DKmac

To generalise, many of the really dodgy moves I see are made by cyclists wearing headphones seemingly in their own world (whether I'm driving or unfortunately less often, cycling). I'm talking genuinely dodgy close call stuff - changing Lane into faster moving traffic, undertaking a vehicle indicating left etc. Not just common or garden disobedience of the rules of the road...

Firstly how can you prove the headphones were actually on? And secondly how can you confidently say this doesn't happen with the same regularity for cyclists without headphones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Putting the headphones aside for a moment, but did I read that right, NCT or similar for bikes. I am all for bikes being in good nick on the road, but where will it stop, will little Jenny's tassels on her handlebars be within a certain length.

:D

As the headphones, I will put my hand up, and admit to cycling with an in ear headphone in my left ear, but do also see many drivers with their in ear phones clearly visible, buy a bluetooth speaker for feck sake.

It's clearly an attempt from the anti cyclists brigade, pissed off by all the sactions imposed on them as drivers.

Advertisement