Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A ban on headphones and penalty point for cyclists...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Deedsie wrote: »
    To be fair, the haulage lady is a very good speaker. I have heard her a good few times before. There was no prep from cycling Ireland.

The second she said haulage drivers have to pass 3 tests the cycling girl should have said. "Why do they continue to drive into railway gates and bridges?

I thought she was dreadful. Entrenched attitude, not willing to listen with very obvious resentment towards cyclists. Clearly not keen in sharing the roads with cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I suspect the hauliers recognise that they are going to come under pressure to get cabs with better sight lines and other improvements, as well as restrictions in access to city centres, so they're getting their retaliation in first.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Cycling home today, on I had headwind, crosswind and tailwind all at various points. That alone distorts sound, where its coming from and my ability to judge it. I checked over my shoulder frequently for approaching traffic. Wearing headphones wouldn't have made me any unsafer on a day with conditions such as today. All the road noise just blended to be honest and I wholly trust my vision better than I trust my hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

My experience on the Garristown road is quite different. Whether riding solo or in a group, the Dennigan trucks always hang back and only pass when it is safe to do so. Private cars are a much greater threats INHO.
    That would also be my experience on that road. Even when out with beginners groups at slower speeds I don't ever recall getting any grief from them. We usually single out or pull over if they've been behind for a while and often get a hoot of the horn for doing so. They are also accommodating when the club is racing there on summer evenings.

(In fairness to Sam Dennigan's location, it's not as if the business was suddenly plonked there. It grew gradually from a ordinary farm into the successful business it is today).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Licences for headphones. Now it's getting a bit mad ted.
    Is it one licence per set of headphones (like a dog licence) or per user (like a driving licence)? Do audiophiles with many sets have to go door to door to introduce themselves when they move to a new neighbourhood?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it'd be ludicrous if you could just shack up to the NHPLS and pay for a headphone licence without some sort of proficiency test too. otherwise, what's the bleedin point?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Seems like CEO of the Farm Contractors Association, who were also at the same committee today, is a closet member of boards.ie

http://www.independent.ie/business/farming/machinery/tractor-drivers-hit-out-at-cyclists-travelling-sometimes-four-abreast-on-country-roads-35555012.html

:D

Lots of training required to cycle over 40kmph

And how or where can I get a bicycle rated for speeds in ecess of 40kmph. Who would want to buy a standard one when you can get a fast one! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Is it one licence per set of headphones (like a dog licence) or per user (like a driving licence)? Do audiophiles with many sets have to go door to door to introduce themselves when they move to a new neighbourhood?

And do you pay half price, or get an exemption, if your headphones are mono?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

OK sorry to rain on this parade. There are with lots of humorous posts stating how off -the- wall the suggestions of hauliers and tractor contractor representatives were at today's oireachtas transport committee hearing. Some other posts saying the truckers feel under pressure and are getting their retaliation in first but that since their view is nonsensical their recommendations wont be taken seriously. I think you may all be mistaken. These are our legislators the representatives are addressing and I think the cyclists on multiple boards cycling threads need to get the cyclist perspective across in the media and to their TD's; either individually or via Cycling Ireland, Cycling Campaigns etc. We wont be joking here in 5 or 10 years time if powerful lobby groups have had their views so enmeshed in everyday thinking that high-viz and helmets have been made compulsory and headphones have been banned. After all the garda and rsa are already sold on the high-viz argument. So, on yer bikes folks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Beasty wrote: »
    Also I like tractors - they are great. Unfortunately there are far fewer tractors around to draft than other cyclists which perhaps helps explain their claim that tractors are involved in less accidents .....
    Much better than nasty buses - filthy diesel exhaust in your face, constant stop/start.
    Weepsie wrote: »
    Cycling home today, on I had headwind, crosswind and tailwind all at various points. That alone distorts sound, where its coming from and my ability to judge it. I checked over my shoulder frequently for approaching traffic. Wearing headphones wouldn't have made me any unsafer on a day with conditions such as today. All the road noise just blended to be honest and I wholly trust my vision better than I trust my hearing.
    I wear earphones for three reasons;
    1) Protection from wind buzz (quite a lot lately)
    2) Announcements on time/distance/heart rate/directions. No more dangerous than looking at a mounted device.
    3) Music (at a low level)
    If anything I reckon I check behind me MORE often when wearing earphones. Nowadays with so many electric/hybrid vehicles can't rely solely on hearing to sense traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

I'd ban certain types of headphones. Dre Beats, for example, cos the sound quality is BRUTAL

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

also, they're not aero.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

These are our legislators the representatives are addressing and I think the cyclists on multiple boards cycling threads need to get the cyclist perspective across in the media and to their TD's; either individually or via Cycling Ireland, Cycling Campaigns etc. We wont be joking here in 5 or 10 years time if powerful lobby groups have had their views so enmeshed in everyday thinking that high-viz and helmets have been made compulsory and headphones have been banned. After all the garda and rsa are already sold on the high-viz argument. So, on yer bikes folks!

I think this has hit the nail on the head!
    We do need to , as a group , start legislating for changes for our benefit also.
    Just because the points seem ludicrous doesnt mean they cant/wont happen (Smoking ban+ plastic bag charge seemed crazy at the start)

So maybe if Boardsies + cyclists in general started lobbying their own Td/Councillors for improvements on the road for the betterment (?) of all of us on the road.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Homer1798 wrote: »

erm is the lorry driver a cyclist when he's not working?

confused

EDIT: ah I think my sarcasm detector was broken

greenspurs wrote: »
    (Smoking ban+ plastic bag charge seemed crazy at the start)

They were perfectly logical and reasonable from the outset.

They were perfectly logical and reasonable from the outset.

Were they?
    People didnt give out about how unworkable they were? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I was cycling home yesterday in the lashings of rain. As it was a bit murky I had my lights on front and back even though it was still "daytime". I don't always wear high-vis, but the raincoat that I keep in the bottom of my bag is bright yellow with reflective strips, due to the inclement weather I was wearing it.
    I had a taxi edge slowly then quickly pull out in front/alongside of me nearly hitting me, not seeing me until I had gone around him and waved at him through the windscreen, later as I approached a set of traffic lights a woman in a car turned right across my path forcing me to apply the brakes hard.

However, I must admit that I was wearing headphones, so it was clearly my fault

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

dub_skav wrote: »

Penalty points for you, you rascal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

dub_skav wrote: »

Same. I was on the N11 going by the junction at the entrance to UCD, I stopped at the red light in front of an AirCoach bus but still in the cycle lane to the left hand side. When the light turned green the bus proceeded to attempt to overtake me before pulling into the bus stop at UCD, circa 25 metres from the traffic lights.

While he was pulling in on top of me and I was hitting the brakes I realised I had my headphones in. Boy was my face red!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Cycling to work in the lane with a car ahead of me. Slowing traffic is up the road ahead so I look to make an overtake on the outside. The car in front swerves wildly right towards the oncoming lane, then towards the footpath, and then towards the centreline again. No indicator, no glance over the shoulder, no checked mirror, just mad jinking back and forth across the road.

After the media presence of the Road Hauliers yesterday, my first instinct was to check my headphones were still in my pocket and not shoved carelessly into my lugholes. Then, as I passed the now more passive car, I spotted that the driver had managed to change whatever audio was feeding into their headphones from their phone successfully, which is what they up to when the car was veering all over the road.

Phew! Penalty points for me narrowly avoided there!

I'm glad that headphones have been posited as the cause of all possible accidents because otherwise these posts would just look silly

greenspurs wrote: »
    Were they?
    People didnt give out about how unworkable they were? :confused:

Disposed plastic bags were an eyesore and caused landfill issues.

No need to detail the issues with smoking in an enclosed space.

How many deaths have been caused to, and by, truckers by people wearing headphones?

check_six wrote: »
    Cycling to work in the lane with a car ahead of me. Slowing traffic is up the road ahead so I look to make an overtake on the outside. The car in front swerves wildly right towards the oncoming lane, then towards the footpath, and then towards the centreline again. No indicator, no glance over the shoulder, no checked mirror, just mad jinking back and forth across the road.

Similar story yesterday. I was coming up the cycle track, car two ahead of me (car A) signalled right, so car immediately ahead of me (car B) lurched into the cycle track to pass car A on the inside, only to realise that car A was in a line of stationary traffic, so car B veered back into the main traffic lane.

I wasn't wearing headphones, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to why this is my fault. Probably hiviz, helmet or road tax issue. I'll ruminate and get back to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Similar story yesterday. I was coming up the cycle track, car two ahead of me (car A) signalled right, so car immediately ahead of me (car B) lurched into the cycle track to pass car A on the inside, only to realise that car A was in a line of stationary traffic, so car B veered back into the main traffic lane.

I wasn't wearing headphones, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to why this is my fault. Probably hiviz, helmet or road tax issue. I'll ruminate and get back to you.

Pretty much the same thing happened to me on Tuesday, car moved into the cycle lane to pass a car turning right and nearly sideswiped me.

Now I have to admit I was wearing earphones, but I also have reflective stips on my jacket, do they cancel each other out?

The driver did give me an apologetic wave though, so maybe he was wearing earphones and realised he was at fault.

Yes, what happens when both driver and cyclist are wearing headphones? I think we need a blame matrix.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

tomasrojo wrote: »

I was proceeding straight along a road before Christmas. Was wearing hi-viz had flashing and solid lights front and rear but was knocked down by a car turning across my path from a junction to my left. I thought I had right of way but can see now that because I had headphones in my bag this may have been my fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jelutong

I see more truck drivers on mobiles than cyclists using headphones. Same goes for tractor drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I was proceeding straight along a road before Christmas. Was wearing hi-viz had flashing and solid lights front and rear but was knocked down by a car turning across my path from a junction to my left. I thought I had right of way but can see now that because I had headphones in my bag this may have been my fault.

Same happened to me last night - heading down Westland Row, heavy rain, 300 lumen strobe on the front and my trusty exposure flash flare on the rear. Lighting up a nice little space around me. Motorists decides the traffic lane is not for him, so heads in left to the bus lane, which I was cycling in. I banged his car, but he kept coming.

Had to brake sharply to avoid hitting him. I just bought my son a pair of skullcandy wireless headphones last weekend, which were at home, so it's entirely my fault. Sorry driver, hope you got home a bit quicker :o

• Advertisement

Disposed plastic bags were an eyesore and caused landfill issues.

No need to detail the issues with smoking in an enclosed space.

How many deaths have been caused to, and by, truckers by people wearing headphones?

Yeh yeh,
    But, Was there an outcry? some dissention ? People whinging about it?
    Yes, yes there was. And the proposals were brought into law, which was my point.....
    Anyway , not gonna continue.... :rolleyes::confused:

Advertisement