Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A ban on headphones and penalty point for cyclists...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Deedsie wrote: »
    By self centred morons. Any right thinking person realised they were both great ideas before they were ever introduced.

The only people complaining were publicans and smokers.

The only people complaining are cyclists ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

jive wrote: »
    Same. I was on the N11 going by the junction at the entrance to UCD, I stopped at the red light in front of an AirCoach bus but still in the cycle lane to the left hand side. When the light turned green the bus proceeded to attempt to overtake me before pulling into the bus stop at UCD, circa 25 metres from the traffic lights.

While he was pulling in on top of me and I was hitting the brakes I realised I had my headphones in. Boy was my face red!!

I had the same happen to me at that exact spot before, the Aircoach is a scourge on the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Cartons of milk from now on :-)

Off-topic, but a two-litre plastic jug of own-brand milk is €1.49. One-litre cartons of own-brand milk are 75c. I get the latter anyway because it's easier for the kids to pour their own milk, but the savings of getting the larger size are not enormous.

I've always assumed the carton option is the more recycleable of the two, but never looked into it. (They do make fleeces from the milk plastic jugs, but the world surely doesn't need that many fleeces.)

I am a motorist, I am complaining.

I am a pedestrian, I am complaining.

Yes, you are a complainer .... :rolleyes:
    But you didnt complain about the Smoking ban or Plastic bag levy? :confused:
    Go green man .....

The only thing that gives me pause is that "cartons" despite their name connoting cardboard, are actually a form of plastic-infused cardboard. For much the same reason, disposable coffee cups aren't recycled. (There is one plant in the UK that can recycle them, I think; I assume there are zero here.)

I know that cartons are acceptable to put in the green bin, but so are two-litre plastic jugs.

Not saying that carton isn't more recycleable; I'm just not quite 100% on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

greenspurs wrote: »
    Yeh yeh,
    But, Was there an outcry? some dissention ? People whinging about it?
    Yes, yes there was. And the proposals were brought into law, which was my point.....
    Anyway , not gonna continue.... :rolleyes::confused:

There was, but not based on any logical or scientific foundations, more so because of the inconvenience to them.

Ah yeah, but, as I said, my misgiving is that tetrapak cartons are coated in plastic. They require a recycling plant that separates the plastic from the cardboard. Can and glass bottles, for example, don't require this extra step.

This is, as you say, quite a bit off-topic now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Wonder will there be any talk of left turning HGV's - the biggest killer of cyclists?
    I'm calling for a lock on steering wheels so they can't go anti-clockwise past 12 o'clock.

Problem solved....
    412589.jpg

Go back to work everybody.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    There was, but not based on any logical or scientific foundations, more so because of the inconvenience to them.

THAT IS MY POINT !!!

Truck drivers complaining about cyclists wearing headphones........... :confused::rolleyes:
    Neither logical or based on Scientific foundations....
    a bit like most peoples arguements in here ....... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

A murder charge for truck drivers who kill cyclists. If this were imposed there would be a few of them in jail now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Sorry to jump in, but I thought i was going mad. I remembered reading this in a pub 'free edition' Herald during my lunch hour a while back - http://www.herald.ie/news/cyclists-face-40-spot-fines-for-using-earphones-says-minister-34202918.html

So i thought it was already illegal?
    Also, would this include Open-ear earphones?
    for example these - http://shop.panasonic.com/audio-and-video/headphones/open-ear-headphones/RP-HGS10-P.html
    Or these etc..
    https://aftershokz.com/products/trekz-titanium?variant=7698984833

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Suckit wrote: »
    Sorry to jump in, but I thought i was going mad. I remembered reading this in a pub 'free edition' Herald during my lunch hour a while back - http://www.herald.ie/news/cyclists-face-40-spot-fines-for-using-earphones-says-minister-34202918.html

From the article
    Minister Paschal Donohoe confirmed that although it is not a specific offence under road traffic legislation, using headphones could be seen as dangerous to other road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Suckit wrote: »

The trouble with what is linked is that they want it to fall under "reasonable consideration". What is reasonable consideration varies from person to person, and Garda to Garda. How do you prove that it was or wasn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

amcalester wrote: »
    From the article
    Minister Paschal Donohoe confirmed that although it is not a specific offence under road traffic legislation, using headphones could be seen as dangerous to other road users.

Yep, I am not 100% that, that is the same article i read, as i was in a hurry when posting the link, but it is similar.
    "I have made the offence of driving a pedal cycle without reasonable consideration a fixed charge offence," Mr Donohoe said in the Dail.

What if, for example i repeatedly refused to pay the fine? Then surely it would be illegal? So it amounts to the same thing or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Sean Kinvarra

What next, ban deaf cyclists?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I suspect the hauliers recognise that they are going to come under pressure to get cabs with better sight lines and other improvements, as well as restrictions in access to city centres, so they're getting their retaliation in first.

It's a 'retaliation' for the 1.5m minimum distance overtake proposals. The Haulier Chief lady on the radio had some disturbingly bonkers ideas about that rule when asked. The idea that trucks should be allowed pass as close and as fast as they like was the jist of it.

Quite why a 'retaliation' is required at all is beyond my capability to understand.

Perhaps someone could do that thing they do in those murder thrillers where the cop has to put themselves in the same mindset as the frothing at the mouth maniac in order to catch them?

Any frothing should be reported here as soon as it takes hold!

greenspurs wrote: »
    THAT IS MY POINT !!!

Truck drivers complaining about cyclists wearing headphones........... :confused::rolleyes:
    Neither logical or based on Scientific foundations....
    a bit like most peoples arguements in here ....... :rolleyes:

It's the point that was made yesterday, but you made the comparison between what the road haulage guys are saying with the plastic bag levy and smoking ban and the dissent as a result.

The former, as yet, has no research that I know of that validates it, justifying the dissent and piss take, whereas the latter very much has, so the two aren't comparable.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's the point that was made yesterday, but you made the comparison between what the road haulage guys are saying with the plastic bag levy and smoking ban and the dissent as a result.

The former, as yet, has no research that I know of that validates it, justifying the dissent and piss take, whereas the latter very much has, so the two aren't comparable.

Well shur thats definitive then isnt it ...... . :rolleyes:
    Okie doke then ......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I was cycling up a narrow road the other day. A woman in a big SUV style car went to overtake me. As I was about level with the passenger window she realised that another cyclist was cycling towards her. As the road was narrow she pulled in towards me to avoid hitting opposite cyclist, very nearly squashing me into the parked car beside me.

I wasn't wearing headphones, should I have been?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Guys this is a great thread and I have learned a lot about the mindset of forum commenting cyclists.

I suppose the reality of the situation is you can be right or dead right.

Simple facts of the matter are there will always be motorists who don't behave exactly as cyclists would like, whether it be of malice or stupidity.

Look at Westminster bridge yesterday, anyone wearing earphones would have had less warning than someone who wasn't. That's reality. Even if wearing earphones only reduces your awareness of your environment marginally, those margins can be the difference between life and death.

I see cyclists breaking red lights, not using lights, cycling with no hands, dressed in dark colours. At the end of the day whether I'm driving or cycling, it doesn't matter what other cyclists do, they're unlikely to do me any serious harm. This is why there is no license needed, you pose a risk to nobody other than yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Hrududu wrote: »
    I wasn't wearing headphones, should I have been?

No I don't think headphones would make much difference when encountering a driver who isn't observant. A rosary beads would probably suffice.

Oh and sarcasm, plenty of sarcasm.

riemann wrote: »
    Look at Westminster bridge yesterday, anyone wearing earphones would have had less warning than someone who wasn't. That's reality.

ah would you cop on.

Look at Westminster bridge yesterday, anyone wearing earphones would have had less warning than someone who wasn't. That's reality.

This is so inappropriate I don't know where to begin.

Guys this is a great thread and I have learned a lot about the mindset of forum commenting cyclists.

Just wait until you see the mindset of the non forum commenting cyclists.

Maybe you should go to your local TD and propose a 24 hour lock down on all citizens. That should save us, for the most part.
    it doesn't matter what other cyclists do, they're unlikely to do me any serious harm.

If terrorists are willing to use cars, don't be writing off the use of bicycles. Bicycle bombs aren't unfamiliar in Iraq or Afghanistan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Only if they had their back to the car. Maybe we should ban pedestrians from walking with their back to cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Weepsie wrote: »
    Now if they have HD 25-ii or Q701s or Beyerdynamic DT 770 or something, then we can talk

There's all your marginal aero gains on the commute right out the window

Ah I take it all back. It's all too common to get shot while cycling in Dublin.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gunman-shoots-cyclist-before-accidentally-shooting-himself-29528339.html

And I think Michael Collins's crew made good use of their bikes (as did everyone of the period​ I suppose).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

I always find threads like this funny because for roughly 80% of the participants you tend to get a reasonable understanding of the risks involved, but for the other 20% at either end of the spectrum you get some ridiculous suggestions! Half would prefer if the world was wrapped in cotton wool for fear of something bad happening and the other half feel like they should be blameless no matter what they may do. I'd hate to live in a nanny state where you're forced to wear hi-vis every time you leave the house and can't listen to music but at the same time I understand the importance of being aware of my surroundings, why is it such a foreign concept for some people?

Advertisement