Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My new Virgin media STB issued two LAN I.P's?

• 22-03-2017 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I recently received a replacement STB from Virgin Media. Its the Samsung Horizon HD one.

I still have a separate CISCO 3925 modem bridged to my Asus router, so all wireless etc. is switched off on the Horizon box.

I have joined the Horizon box via ethernet cable to my home network and I can browse my NAS etc. which i found to be a nice little surprise as the Horizon box is very responsive (surprisingly)

When i logged into my Asus router but i notice that the Horizon box has been issued two LAN I.PS

UPCGW_4C00 192.168.1.106
    UPCGW_4C01 192.168.1.107

any ideas why?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Just continuing on from the above....

These are probably easily explained; but my router logs are also showing the below items since i replaced my STB which i dont understand, so any help with explaining what is going on will help.

I am also seeing some serious unexplained bandwidth drops (eg)230Mbps --to--85Mbp.

I'm wondering if my router is getting labored?

My router shows many DHCP releases for various UPCGW devices?

412593.JPG

My router log shows DHCP requests from unknown devices (similar MAC address to the above UPCGW devices)

412594.JPG

again all probably easily explained, but your help is welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its their media server/DLNA server from memory.

Yea, after further digging it seems that because I have connected the Horizon box to my home network to access my NAS that it then fires up a DHCP Server on the Horizon box.

It requests 20 i.ps from my separate router, and there does not seem to be a way to connect the STB to my home network without allowing this to occur.

unless any of you fine folk have any suggestions.

I have my suspicions that this somehow is seeing a massive drop in my speeds as when i disconnect the Horizon STB from my home network i dont see any negative effects on speed, but when connected i get unexplained sporadic drops .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Have you done:
    Login-Basic-Home Network- I want to connect to an existing home network

Otherwise itll be trying to act as a border router still rather than a client.

ED E wrote: »
    Have you done:
    Login-Basic-Home Network- I want to connect to an existing home network

Otherwise itll be trying to act as a border router still rather than a client.

Thanks!

Yea, have that setting activated by logging into the STB via web browser yet it still requests 20 addresses.

in the GUI of Horizon box you can set up your home network connection too, and in the information page see that DHCP is 'not active' yet it still sends requests?

must be a bug or glitch.

I'm wondering if it is one of those weird illogical scenarios/solutions that will allow me make one setting via the GUI but also allow the total opposite selection via the web browser ..will try when i get home.

EDIT:
    seems our friends in The Netherlands have come across similar problems: (translated for your convenience)

• Advertisement

**UPDATE**

Just as i predicted the illogical resolution worked!! :rolleyes:...

- connect to Horizon box via ethernet and login.
    -Turn off 'Home Network' which would then allow me change network settings.
    -Turn off DHCP and change I.P of box to one within my routers DHCP range.
    -Change the DNS Server to my router I.P
    -reboot box

no more DHCP requests on my router

I can also still browse my NAS on my Horizon box.

Note: The GUI on the Horizon box will still show the DHCP server as 'ACTIVE' but this is incorrect.

I will now keep a close eye on performance over the coming days.

Advertisement