Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Incredible Value for Money

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Don't think I've watched anything on RTE - bar maybe the occasional soccer international - in the last 10 years. Have I missed anything worthwhile?
    Subscription-based is the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Like a lot on here I haven't watched rte for years , listen to today FM .

I watch free views on sky and Netflix . feel really cheated .

They want to put price up.... They can if they want ... I won't be paying that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Facts are facts, he is the host of highest rated show. And no I don't believe that any punter could walk in off the street and do it; I would say far from it.

Should the state broadcaster be producing this show though, just because it brings in the revenue? Is it public service broadcasting?
    Just because it's always been there, doesn't mean it has to continue.
    If mud wrestling brought in the advertising should RTE produce that too?
    Is it Ryan Tubridy's innate talent that brings in the viewers? I think not. It's viewer inertia and would get the numbers anyway. Why people want to watch RTE staff being interviewed week in week out is beyond me.
    Its cultural significance is lost on me.
    Subscription is the way to go and we'll see just how popular it really is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Storm in a teacup, folks. A story that spun out of control.
    However, after said media storm, Forbes has clarified what she meant, telling independent.ie: "What I was saying was that the licence fee here in Ireland is incredible value at 40 cent a day. The breadth of value and programming of everything that goes out from RTÉ every day for 40 cent a day is incredible. A cup of coffee here in the canteen is €1.60...

"What I was saying was that it’s good value - it is more in other markets - it was really around value…

"If it was doubled, would it be good value? Of course it would! But I’m not for one minute calling for a doubling of a licence fee because it’s not practical."

That, our dear friends, is the sound of someone digging up.

http://entertainment.ie/tv/news/Everybody-relax-you-wont-have-to-pay-double-for-your-TV-license-fee/391629.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Ok enough is enough.

You don't like my opinions, so you come out with this nonsense.

This is where debate just descends into farce.

Not only will you not entertain other differing opinions, but you come up with this....

A living internet cliché in our midst.

I could go a step further and say this sort of bull**** logic - the flat refusal to engage in discussion, to tease out issues, and instead have the 'outrage' default setting - is the reason why nothing ever gets done in this country.
    It isn't nonsense, what is nonsense is how you try to justify RTE's over inflated salaries in a company that can't even keep afloat by being subsidised by most households in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭County rebel

what madness me is when some people that have no aerial in there house they watch all there programs on rte.ie and dont have to spend a penny for the service while another person with a aerial is charged 160 euro.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭booterboy

Apres Match which was on RTE 2 on Monday night is being repeated again now (9pm Wed)2 days later and this is prime time.RTE 1 has the Brendan O'Connor garbage on now.
    Value for money?
    Absolute joke of a network.
    Tv 3 showing Germany v England live in the footy.
    The plug needs to be pulled on RTE now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jamesax

it takes 4 plus to read the news, need i say more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Waestrel

Value for money is determined by the consumer. Not the producer

But she has never worked in the free market, so she would not know that.

Sure sign the disruption is imminent. Even RTE can smell it now. Expect further runs to the gov demanding protection.

Meanwhile irish people will be getting their news off podcasts and entertainment off netflix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I have to say, whatever about the rest, you have to love Marian Finucans unique style of just got out of bed and waffled for an eternity style of broadcasting.
    She's worth every penny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

https://static.rasset.ie/documents/about/final-rte-top-ten-highest-paid-press-release-table-dec-2015-final.pdf

There are two presenters in that bracket, and one of them presents the Late Late Show also.

To give them credit
    (I) salaries have come down considerably
    (II) my own opinion - and you may disagree with this - is that Ryan Tubridy at 500k per annum is about right. For the guy who does a daily radio show, and hosts the weekly TV show that gets consistently the highest ratings in a country of 4mn people, I would expect him to be paid that amount.

Is Joe Duffy worth the €416k he took in 2014 (and likely higher in 2015 and 2026) in fees from RTÉ in your opinion? The man is on air 75mins a time (incl. breaks) 5 days a week (tops) and works no more than 40 weeks a year. He admits himself he strolls into RTÉ between 11 and noon and leaves at 3 (immediately after the show). He had acteam of researchers and at least 4 producers and as regular listeners to the show will testify to, often there are NO revenue generating ads on the show. This is before we talk about how rude, ignorant and generally unprofessional he is. Just curious if you think he is worth his fees?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Is Joe Duffy worth the €416k he took in 2014 (and likely higher in 2015 and 2026) in fees from RTÉ in your opinion? The man is on air 75mins a time (incl. breaks) 5 days a week (tops) and works no more than 40 weeks a year. He admits himself he strolls into RTÉ between 11 and noon and leaves at 3 (immediately after the show). He had acteam of researchers and at least 4 producers and as regular listeners to the show will testify to, often there are NO revenue generating ads on the show. This is before we talk about how rude, ignorant and generally unprofessional he is. Just curious if you think he is worth his fees?

You know well that he's worth every cent. Who do you want presenting the Lavhline - Mary Wilson or Bobby Kerr perhaps? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Ye forgot Funny Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

40 cent a day.... For all the stuff you don't want to watch. Yes incredible value!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

She makes the point that it's well worth it on the basis that it's publicly funded and therefore has integrity - when the opposite is the case. i.e. #rtebias

It doesn't deliver value and to cap it off, it's a propaganda machine for the establishment. She can double it or she can offer it for free - I've given away my TV - won't be watching one more second of RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭2forjoy

I pay Sky €480 a year and really all I watch is the Irish channels . I think €170 is good value for money .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭q2ice

2forjoy wrote: »
    I pay Sky €480 a year and really all I watch is the Irish channels . I think €170 is good value for money .

So you are paying €590 a year to watch RTE? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Have you heard of saorview?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Cheltenham was in TV3 this year. Brilliant coverage. No 'experts' sitting in the studio ( no doubt at considerable cost) waffling on while we were missing the atmosphere at the track between races. Could never understand why we needed Jimmy McGee or George Hamilton to broadcast from Wembley for the FA Cup final. This was (is?) the height of madness when the BBC/ITV feed would be fine. Different for when Ireland playing I agree (Rugby/Football) but some events are/were just gravy trains. And I agree about reading the news, particularly on radio. Just how many do we need to present the news?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,468 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Waestrel wrote: »

Sure sign the disruption is imminent. Even RTE can smell it now. Expect further runs to the gov demanding protection.

Meanwhile irish people will be getting their news off podcasts and entertainment off netflix.

Podcasts whats that? Netflix not yet maybe in 2018. I like getting my news off the ole TV. A bit of RTE, some BBC,Sky and Channel 4 and I am happy. Maybe Euronews sometimes too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Waestrel wrote: »

That bit in bold you have said is wrong.

Dee Forbes has worked for Discovery Networks before she came to RTÉ.

Her role there was for President & Managing Director of Discovery Networks in Northern Europe. She was based in London for that role.

https://press.discovery.com/uk/dsc/executives/dee-forbes/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

What do you give them the extra tenner for :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭cython

Thanks for the LOL., classy touch.

Wayne Rooney earns 216k every four days. Do you think he........snoozzzzzzze........

Boring argument.
    False analogy, Wayne Rooney is paid that by an entirely private enterprise that people choose to fund. If you want to own a TV in Ireland to watch any station, you don't get to choose whether or not you fund bloated RTE salaries.
    Sure.

Where is the analysis on this thread on RTEs revenue generation?

(Its nowhere)

Furthermore, whats that all got to with Angela Merkel?

She's a more relevant example/contrast than Rooney, to be honest, as her salary is paid by public funds, and so too is part of Ryan Tubridy's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

cython wrote: »
    False analogy, Wayne Rooney is paid that by an entirely private enterprise that people choose to fund. If you want to own a TV in Ireland to watch any station, you don't get to choose whether or not you fund bloated RTE salaries.

She's a more relevant example/contrast than Rooney, to be honest, as her salary is paid by public funds, and so too is part of Ryan Tubridy's.

I think you mean a slightly less irrelevant example if that's all they have in common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Feathers wrote: »
    If half the 'top' presenters left the station & you replaced them via an open audition, I don't think the quality of programming would noticeably drop.
    Yes, and when many presenters go on holidays they do get some presumably usually lower paid person in to take over, and they often do a grand job.
    Ryan Tubridy at 500k per annum is about right. For the guy who does a daily radio show, and hosts the weekly TV show that gets consistently the highest ratings in a country of 4mn people, I would expect him to be paid that amount.
    Thanks for the LOL., classy touch.

Wayne Rooney earns 216k every four days. Do you think he........snoozzzzzzze........
    Facts are facts, he is the host of highest rated show. And no I don't believe that any punter could walk in off the street and do it; I would say far from it.
    They do not have that similar a job and skill level. There are plenty of shows which actually are dragging in punters off the street, reality shows. If some half decent reality show was on in the same time slot as the late late show it would definitely pull in big ratings -its not that difficult to get ratings at that time, which is what he is "doing", it is not necessary to be a presenter.

I expect foreign teams around the world are putting in very high bids to get Rooney. Is there much evidence of attempted poaching of Tubirdy, and not jsut worldwide have the likes of TV3 or other local entities trying to get him?

Viewing figures for forced subscription services do not impress me, only serves to disgust me more.

Not everybody has the money for netflix, sky subscriptions, dvds or whatever alternative. As struggling people have already been forced to pay for this licence many feel they should at least get some use from it.
    What else would 160 per annum buy in the media space

- Irish Times print edition at the weekend; that's 52 copies per year.
    If the government decided everyone had to subscribe to the Irish Times then unsurprisingly its readership figures would go up, wow -who would have thunk it. Many reading it would consider it bad value for money, many would prefer to have the option of buying the paper they would prefer.

Some might still buy another paper and bin the times, terrible waste but figures might show it still went into your house, any maybe you did catch a glimpse of the headline so could be drawn into phoney readership figures.
    Others who cannot afford to will just make do with this forced subscription, and read only the times, as they can no longer afford the one they really want and they think the times is "just good enough". Due to economies of scale I would hope the forced newspaper subscription would come down in price.

I would like to see RTE being a subscription service, this was investigated before and seemed a viable option, even with the increased price people seemed willing to pay -good for them.

Advertisement