Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sight Lines Issue

Options
  • 22-03-2017 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Currently looking at purchasing a site, the site was granted planning in 2005 but was subsequently overruled and denied by An Bord Pleanala following an appeal from the next door neighbor. The primary reason for the refusal was the lack of sufficient sight lines. The sight line which is short is on the appellants side.

Subsequently another application was lodged with the entrance adjusted to provide the max sight lines in each direction (the entrance on this application was the entire width of the site) this application was again refused based on the lack of sufficient sight lines, 60m is achievable however 70m is required.

Correspondence within the file (RFI material) suggested that the applicant tried to negotiate with the neighbor to reduce the boundary to a maintained 1m high boundary, however no success. I have no idea of the relationship between the current owner and the neighbor, their could be something else personal going on.

Now to my question, is this issue insurmountable without the neighbor cooperation? In my opinion it is, however I would be interested to hear opinions on this, maybe someone has had a similar situation.

PS: I have a call in with the council at the moment, I am awaiting a response from them, just looking for peoples opinions.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

Sounds like it's a non runner unless the neighbour is on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Angry bird wrote: »
    Sounds like it's a non runner unless the neighbour is on board.

Thanks for your response, yes I am thinking as much, I think I will approach the neighbor next to see what will happen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Walk away.

The only possibility is getting some sort of agreement with the neighbour and even then planning is not guaranteed.

It's clearly a long running issue - no point buying into problems - you'll find enough on a "clean" site!

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭bemak

You could touch base with someone like NRB to assess whether the 70m is appropriate. Sightlines are based on general rules of thumb so for example you could do a traffic survey to prove that the average speed along the road is lower than the limit or the number of cars passing is quite low. Might be worth a go. If you give them a shout and outline your problem, they wouldn't be long telling you if they'd be able to help!

Advertisement