Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Country Marathon

Options
  • 22-03-2017 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

A long shot I know; the three countries being Germany, Austria and Switzerland. Has anyone taken part in this before? TfB maybe?

http://www.sparkasse-3-laender-marathon.at/home/

Any feedback would be much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Hi all,

A long shot I know; the three countries being Germany, Austria and Switzerland. Has anyone taken part in this before? TfB maybe?

http://www.sparkasse-3-laender-marathon.at/home/

Any feedback would be much appreciated :)

Indeed. :) As it happens, I ran this all the way back in 2005. Happy memories too, this was where I first broke 4 hours in the marathon :)

Things may well have changed in the last 12 years, so take all of this with a pinch of salt. As far as I remember it was very well organised as well as pancake flat, so definitely PB potential (though it rained very heavily throughout in 2005).

The start in Lindau is 10km away from the finish in Bregenz but they used ships to transport the runners for free, which went very well despite a rather lengthy queue for boarding.

About 10k are in Germany, maybe 5 in Switzerland, the rest in Austria. You're running in the Rhine valley, which is why it's so flat but the mountains around you as well as Lake Constance make for great scenery (except in 2005 when it was raining heavily ...).

Unless things have changed it's definitely one I would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

That's magic, thanks a million! Long story short, there may be a group from work travelling. There's also a HM, a 10k, and (I think) a 5k. It looks amazing in fairness :D I'm signed up for DCM already though, so if I go it'll probably be the HM for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

That's magic, thanks a million! Long story short, there may be a group from work travelling. There's also a HM, a 10k, and (I think) a 5k. It looks amazing in fairness :D I'm signed up for DCM already though, so if I go it'll probably be the HM for me.

It is a lovely run, so go for it if you can. The half won't go into Switzerland, though.

If you have a day to spare while in the area, take a ferry to "Insel Mainau" and spend a day there, with plenty of flower gardens and a butterfly house and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Looks interesting. Don't know how I haven't come across it before. Skinny enough field; very few sub 3. Kinda weird giving the countries it's run in and the flat profile.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Nice one. May have to put this on the agenda for 2018. Some of the translations are funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

That's gone on my list of events I'd like to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Same as that. Drove along some of Lake Konstanz after a flight into Memmingen and it really is fantastic countryside. Not a million miles away from the in-laws so it's very doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Same as that. Drove along some of Lake Konstanz after a flight into Memmingen and it really is fantastic countryside. Not a million miles away from the in-laws so it's very doable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

WW - You're doing it, then?

Probably the half B. Not confirmed yet, but there'll be a few going over. There's a full, a half, and other shorter distances. My plan is to run the half at MP + 30-40s. Should be a bit of craic anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

Website is a disaster 😦 how much is it and where do you fly into?
    I'm away for the DCM and might be a little curious 🀔

Anyone do it, then?

Unfortunately I was a DNS for the half. Due to unforeseen circumstances I wasn't in a position to travel last weekend. Anyone else?

Advertisement