Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To buy a smart TV or buy a google chromecast??

Options
  • 22-03-2017 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm hoping someone in the know how can provide me with some information please!
    At present I have a 32" TV which is not a smart TV.
    I now want to move this in to the bedroom and but a bigger tv for the living room , I'm thinking 55".

I can buy a 55" TV for about €500 but it is not a smart tv.
    A 55" smart tv costs considerably more.

So i was think if I bought a TV that wasn't smart and bought the google chromecast, I could then make either the 32" or the 55" smart as required (really just for Netflix).

At present I do not have wifi in the house but have unlimited data on my phone which I would use with the chrome cast.

So basically my questions is:

Should I spend more and just buy the smart tv, even though I don't have wifi
    or
    should I but the TV that isn't a smart TV and buy the chromecast to make it smart as required.

Note: I have not experience of smart TVs or the google chromcast.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Buy the dumb tv and a chromecast. Most SMart TVs arent very smart..

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Densey12 wrote:
    At present I do not have wifi in the house but have unlimited data on my phone which I would use with the chrome cast.

Chromecasts only use WiFi afaiw

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Densey12

@howamidiffernt : Thank you for the reply , this is what I was edging for!
    @ ianob7 But can I hot spot my phone to the Chromecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I changed my old 32" non Smart TV about 12 months ago. I toyed with the idea of a fully laden smart TV but in the end put the money into a non Smart TV and that allowed me to have a significantly larger screen for less money.
    I already had a Chromecast so decided that would give me the smart features I wanted.

Go dumb and go large.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, in two years time its hundreds for a new TV, €30 for a new chromecast.

You can hotspot it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

The unlimited data on your phone is very unlikely unlimited enough to bingewatch on Netflix. You should be able to connect the Chromecast to the internet using the hotspot function, but this might not be enough, as Chromecast also needs the local network for the control app.
    That being said, I find the Chromecast features good enough to make up for a non-smart TV, also Chromecast is usually more stable (Netflix app on my Sony smart tv crashes from time to time, never happened on Chromecast)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Densey12 wrote:
    @howamidiffernt : Thank you for the reply , this is what I was edging for! @ ianob7 But can I hot spot my phone to the Chromecast?

Yeah hotshot should be fine. regular data is no use though

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Be careful, you cannot hotspot and use the Chomecast from the same device.

So you will need another device to stream to the Chromecast if you use phone as a hotspot, which will also need to be connected to the hotspot.

I have never done this so can't confirm it actually works but in theory i can't see why it wouldn't as long as the signal is adequate

Also be careful that Unlimited internet plans usually have a fair usage policy,

Three for example set it at 60GB per month and also in the terms and conditions state that tethering is not allowed.

Casually using Netflix probably won't cause any issues here but heavy usage may alert the Provider and result in the service being capped or stopped.

Buy a good android TV box regardless of their other questionable uses or a phone/laptop/tablet that has a hdmi out port. It will be of more use than a smart TV.

Of the 2 I've had from different manufacturers they have more services stripped from them than added in "updates" over the last few years. Samsung ones I think still have RTE player as an exclusive ? Which you can't cast same as TV3.

With chromecast you at the mercy of apps supporting casting, where as with an android box or other device you are at the mercy of the app store and using your phone as a remote. Unless you have a phone that can cast it's screen to the chromecast as opposed to just apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

U_Fig wrote:
    Be careful, you cannot hotspot and use the Chomecast from the same device.

There was a Bargain Alerts thread for CC audio recsntly where someone posted a workaround to use it in a car with both the WiFi and streaming of Spotify done via one mobile. Basically you use another phone initially with an SSID of 'abc' for example to connect the Chromecast to. Then change the SSID of the hotshot on the streaming phone to the same SSID. People said it worked. Ymmv.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

By a smart and get a chrome cast?

The smart tv is great even for youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭furiousox

Buy a smart blu-ray player and use it for Netflix, Rte player, apps etc.

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

furiousox wrote: »
    Buy a smart blu-ray player and use it for Netflix, Rte player, apps etc.

The problem with devices like TV's and Blu Ray players is they rarely keep them updated. So a separate box is usually a better idea.

That said I like having a bluray for watching bluray I just really like the quality. Also for upscaling DVDs.

Which player do you have which has rte player on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A decent android box and wireless keyboard will give you more than a smart TV.I've a smart TV and never use the smart functions, the android box does all I need.If I want,I can even cast my phone to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

Amazon firestick would be far better than a chromecast. Netflix, Prime Video as well as being able to install Kodi etc too. The new version has Alexa/voice control as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

A Chromecast is good but an android tv box will give you more flexibility. Because I've a VPN I can watch BBC iplayer etc. Either would be preferable, in my opinion, to a smart tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭furiousox

beauf wrote: »
    Which player do you have which has rte player on it.

I have a samsung blu-ray matched with a non-smart samsung lcd tv.
    Not sure of the model number.
    The blu-ray has rte player, tv3 player as well as Netflix etc, also has screen mirroring so I can transfer content from my samsung phone.

CPL 593H

Advertisement