Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mythological Creature

Options
  • 22-03-2017 5:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭

Half way between Manorhamilton and Kinlough there is or was a bridge and just before the bridge was a small graveyard. I think there was a post office at this bridge. Sorry I am going on memories that are 35 years old!!!

In this graveyard there is said to be the remains of a Door-ra-haun (phonetic)

Head of a man, body of a greyhound.

Is this true or can anyone shed any light on it for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

‘the Dobharchú is the seventh cub of the common otter’ (mada-uisge): the Dobhar-chú was thus a super otter.’ taken from the second link below.

Many times I have passed this cemetery and planned to stop at it but never did. Will certainly stop the next time I go by as now I have a reason to call in.

Had to look up a map for the name of the cemetery and a quick Google found this link but only the first page can be viewed, to see the remainder of the article you have to register to view and this is free.

Also found this second link on a further search, and a photo of the gravestone here. Very interesting reading and hopefully some light has been shed on it for you but it will certainly break up the journey the next time I am heading home to South Leitrim.

Advertisement