Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoning home

Options
  • 22-03-2017 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I'm using an mvno called ultra mobile that gives me unlimited data but direct calls to Irish mobiles are quite expensive. Most of my friends back in Ireland are on the road all the time so I have to call them on their mobile phones without using VoIP on their side. Data coverage is very sketchy when they're driving, especially on the old N7 road.

I've been adding credit to my Google voice and that gets be calls to mobiles in Ireland from the US at 8c/min. That's about the cheapest I've found.

Ultra mobile did have a Dublin number that my friends could call, then type in my mobile number and they were only billed for the local call but I can't find that number anymore and the staff at Ultra mobile don't know what I'm talking about.

I'd be interested to know how others are calling home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Stenth

Lycamobile. 5c per minute to mobiles in Ireland, 1c/min for landlines.
    I think their $29/month plan has unlimited calls to Ireland, including mobile phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭knockoutned

I pay an additional $15 a month on top of my existing T-Mobile plan. For that, I get unlimited calls to both landline and mobile numbers to Ireland as well as to other countries (UK etc).

I also get unlimited data and txts when roaming outside of the US. When I was last back in Ireland, data was LTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Slightly related query, I'll be in the USA for 6 weeks, have an HTC phone and am on Vodafone.

Is it possible to get a US Sim card for while I'm there, or what should I do??

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

OP have you tried WhatsApp ?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

I might have a look into the t-mobile.  I don't mind switching from ultra mobile now since everyone is doing unlimited plans.  

WhatsApp won't work because I have to be able to call mobiles directly in Ireland that may not have a data connection, or at least a good enough one for good call quality while they are driving.

I will look at Lyca again, but I think it might just be lyca to lyca that's free so the person I'm calling would have to have the lyca sim in their phone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement