Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you choose a saddle?

Options
  • 22-03-2017 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

The saddle on my road bike is ok but I suspect that there are more comfortable ones out there and I'm contemplating a new one. How do you get it right though? Especially buying online. I don't want to drop a load of cash to find that actually I got the wrong one...

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

There is alot on the forum about measuring sit bones and matching up saddles. Personally, just trying them is the best way. I went for Brooks B17 for years based on recommendations and that was great. I got a Charge spoon with a bike which worked perfectly for me. The former is 100euro+, the latter was sub 30euro. Currently riding a Fizik Antares which came with the bike, also quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

My first bike came with s Peologo Nago gel which is a flat hard saddle. I knew zero about bikes or saddles but decided to stick with Prologo and went for their Scratch model which I didn't really get on with either. From it I changed to the Zero PAS which was a bit better but not overly comfortable on longer spins so read countless reviews etc and finally plumped for the Prologo Kappa PAS and love it and have it on both bikes now. It suits me perfectly and is very comfortable even on 6hr+ rides.

Some people are lucky and find a saddle quickly and easily anc others have to try several before getting one that suits them, a lot of it is pure luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Trial and error.

(And when you find one that's comfortable... stick with it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....Some people are lucky and find a saddle quickly and easily anc others have to try several before getting one that suits them, a lot of it is pure luck.
    And some of us are lucky enough to easily adapt to any saddle!

(In saying that, I have a B17 that I'll throw on if I know it going to be a long one).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

some bike shops will have loaner saddles you can borrow for a week or so - but they tend to be the pricier ones, i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

(In saying that, I have a B17 that I'll throw on if I know it going to be a long one).

A "long one" being 300+ or 500+ ? ;)

Don't know if they still do it but Cycle Superstore used to allow you to try out different saddles for a few days before deciding on a purchase. OP, it might be worth giving them a call if you are Dublin based or nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I had a Selle Royal Viper on my bike when I got it, it never felt right and was almost constantly making itself known when I was cycling.
    After a bit of research I bought a Fizik Kurve Bull when it was on sale on CRC, which felt ok for the first few rides, but I stopped noticing it after a few days, which I guess is the sign of a good saddle!
    Mostly what I was looking for in reviews was people who were having the same problems I was having with mine, but they didn't notice it on the one they were reviewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Saddles came with respective bikes. Used bikes to go from A to B. That's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I had my sit bones measured when doing a bike fit and tried to find something at that size. Currently have a Selle Italia Turbo on both my road bikes and love it. Good enough for the Badger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Maybe it's just me but with my first saddles I instinctively thought that "Wider" would be more comfortable. I was very mistaken!

Turned out I needed a thinner one. I currently use in and around 130mm ones.
    Such as this one, which is cheap too. Selle Italia X1

It's more about your sit bones than the size of your ass, and the more you lean forward, the closer in your sit bones go, so your riding position should influence your saddle/comfort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Op, try as many saddles as you can. And don't just try them for 20 mins, take them on a few long spins if possible over a few days. What seems comfortable for the first while may well 'saw the bollix off ye' after a couple of hours!

My LBS had a selection of 'tester' Fizik saddles that I was able to borrow for a week at a time (they are garish yellow and purple with TEST written on them in case anyone considers not returning them!). Fizik rank their saddles based on your flexibility, but TBH I think this was marketing rubbish as I favoured the Arione which is apparently for super flexible 'snakes' which I am anything but!!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

A "long one" being 300+ or 500+ ? ;)

Don't know if they still do it but Cycle Superstore used to allow you to try out different saddles for a few days before deciding on a purchase. OP, it might be worth giving them a call if you are Dublin based or nearby.

Cyclesuperstore have a big bin near the till with a load of saddles marked "tester". Never asked them about it but presume it's a simple enough process to sign one out with them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

How do you get it right though?

Somebody on here compared the B17 to your favourite tattered old leather chair in the local pub. Worked for me then and still does :)

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭mp31

Crocked wrote: »
    Cyclesuperstore have a big bin near the till with a load of saddles marked "tester". Never asked them about it but presume it's a simple enough process to sign one out with them

You simply buy the saddle at the marked price and try it for a week (don't forget to tell the checkout person that you want to test it out and he'll mark the purchase as a trial and the receipt will show the same). If it doesn't suit then you can go back and get a refund or exchange for another saddle. Repeat as many times until you find the saddle that you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Another point to remember is saddle height, reach (distance from saddle to handlebars) and saddle tilt angle all have a part to play in saddle comfort. The reality is, as long as the saddle is the right size, most are very comfortable...its the Height, reach and angle that cause the discomfort.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Trial and error. I spent a good few years moving between different saddles and riding them for a few months at a time before eventually settling on one I found the least numbing/hurty.

Advertisement