Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacement key for 2012 Avensis

Options
  • 22-03-2017 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I have a 2012 Avensis Estate and I need to get another key for it. A local dealer was charging an insane amount for a new key and claimed that we had to buy a key with all the locking features etc. Anyone know what would be the best way to go about getting one? If it is possible we would be happy getting one without the locking features.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Most locksmiths can copy you a basic key which will open and start the car. They are generally around €50-70.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

How much did the dealer want off you?

I think your definition of an "insane amount" could well be off the mark because I know that keys for that shape Avensis are very reasonably priced from Toyota.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,299 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd say €75-€100 from a locksmith, probably €150-€175 from a main dealer, I would go main dealer if that's the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kebab12

The dealer wanted 375 euro for the key with locking features. He said we couldn't get just a key.

kebab12 wrote: »
    The dealer wanted 375 euro for the key with locking features. He said we couldn't get just a key.

Yeah I'd imagine that is correct as they'll supply a brand new OE key and code it for that price. Just get one from any good locksmiths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Is it the flip type key?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kebab12

I'm not sure. The keys we currently have are flip keys so I would guess so?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,449 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is it possible that they could use an 09-11 non-flip key? Or even a non-remote key?
    I'd be checking with the dealer (or another dealer)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I have an issue like this where the spare key sets off alarms if the car is opened through the door.

Is there any way to sort it? Not worried about central locking just to be able to open/close the car and start the engine with the spare key.

Thanks

I have an issue like this where the spare key sets off alarms if the car is opened through the door.

Is there any way to sort it? Not worried about central locking just to be able to open/close the car and start the engine with the spare key.

Thanks

You mean if you lock the car using the spare key (which I assume has no remote locking buttons and is just a plain key) then when you open it again using the key the alarm goes off?

• Advertisement

You mean if you lock the car using the spare key (which I assume has no remote locking buttons and is just a plain key) then when you open it again using the key the alarm goes off?

No if the car was centrally locked with the main key - I then come along later and use the spare key to unlock through the door and it sets off the alarm.

No if the car was centrally locked with the main key - I then come along later and use the spare key to unlock through the door and it sets off the alarm.

Yes that's normal because the central locking button on your main key activates the alarm also but when you open the car With the spare key you are not turning the alarm off first as the spare only opens the door and starts the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Try a different dealer. I think that price is not correct, unless there is something unusual about your car. I got one for a 131 Avensis, full function flip key, programmed to the car, and the car serviced, for under 300 incl vat, Irish main dealer (key for a UK import car).

Key on it's own about 120-140 with main dealer. Per George Dalton's comment, keys for these are very reasonably priced as keys go.

Yes that's normal because the central locking button on your main key activates the alarm also but when you open the car With the spare key you are not turning the alarm off first as the spare only opens the door and starts the car.

And is there any way to disengage the alarm with the spare key only?
    I am thinking what would happen if I lost the main key.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,449 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

And is there any way to disengage the alarm with the spare key only?
    I am thinking what would happen if I lost the main key.

On some cars the alarm turns off when you turn the ignition.

Advertisement