Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security standards of 3 star euro locks

Options
  • 22-03-2017 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I'm replacing euro cylinder locks soon and I have two related questions.

In particular they relate to the ABS 3 Star Euro Lock and the Yale Platinum TS007 3 star euro double cylinder.

Disregarding the width of the door / protusion of the lock, is a longer lock more secure? The Yale Platinum and Avocent ABS locks both seem to be described as having the same number of pins regardless of the length of the barrel. I've read a post saying that the shorter barrel locks don't meet the same security standard as the longer barrel locks.

For an anti-snap lock, does it matter that much if part of the anti-snap portion of the lock protrudes slightly beyond the exterior of the door? I know it's better if there is less to grab but i imagine they could be snapped as easily by placing something inside the key hole as grabbing the outside of the cylinder?

Thanks for any thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

nikita wrote: »
    I'm replacing euro cylinder locks soon and I have two related questions.

In particular they relate to the ABS 3 Star Euro Lock and the Yale Platinum TS007 3 star euro double cylinder.

Disregarding the width of the door / protusion of the lock, is a longer lock more secure? The Yale Platinum and Avocent ABS locks both seem to be described as having the same number of pins regardless of the length of the barrel. I've read a post saying that the shorter barrel locks don't meet the same security standard as the longer barrel locks.

For an anti-snap lock, does it matter that much if part of the anti-snap portion of the lock protrudes slightly beyond the exterior of the door? I know it's better if there is less to grab but i imagine they could be snapped as easily by placing something inside the key hole as grabbing the outside of the cylinder?

Thanks for any thoughts

I bought the ABS and the keys even have a magnetic tip to work the inner of lock.

The less sticking out the outside the better even with the anti bump and snap function.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,331 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I bought the ABS and the keys even have a magnetic tip to work the inner of lock.

The less sticking out the outside the better even with the anti bump and snap function.

Would this be a problem if you have a USB memory stick on your keyring? I have...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Esel wrote: »
    Would this be a problem if you have a USB memory stick on your keyring? I have...

Hi its not extremely strong its a tiny litlle part of the key. Would it be an issue I would doubt it as its weak enough. I couldn't say for sure but haven't heard of the issue regarding the key.

Advertisement