Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landscape lens

• 22-03-2017 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Looking to get a lens for landscape with a budget of around €300. Im using the 750D and i currently have the kit lens, Samyang 10mm f2.8 and the 50mm f1.8. i've heard good things about the sigma 17-50mm, has anyone any other recommendations? Cheers

Comments

For landscapes, I can only imagine you'll be using a tripod and you'll want a large depth of field, so you'll see no benefit looking for fast lenses specifically.

Comfortably 'in budget' is a Canon 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS EF-S lens.

With an equivalent to a 18-30mm in 35mm/FX, that's a nice range for landscape work IMHO.

Have a look at it anyway. In my own experience, a 17-50/55mm zoom on a crop sensor body (Nikon in my own case) isn't especially useful for landscapes. I usually want something a little wider.

If you're looking for something to fill some of the gap between your 10mm and 50mm primes, not necessarily something ultra wide, a Canon 24mm EF-S f2.8 can be had for half your budget, giving a 38mm equivalent field of view. That's incredible value for money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Tiriel wrote: »

And 5 times the budget.

JayZeus wrote: »
    And 5 times the budget.

I know - that's why it's still on my list and not in my bag. But budgets change sometimes and it's worth noting that it's an option. If one came up second hand, the OP may just consider it, who knows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I know - that's why it's still on my list and not in my bag. But budgets change sometimes and it's worth noting that it's an option. If one came up second hand, the OP may just consider it, who knows!

Well Canon just replaced that model with an even more out of budget version III , :p or there is the slightly cheaper F4 with IS

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1274708-REG/canon_ef_16_35mm_f_2_8l_iii.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Nebaw

I'd love to be even able to consider it :( Even 2nd hand its a pricey piece of kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Homer

Well Canon just replaced that model with an even more out of budget version III , :p or there is the slightly cheaper F4 with IS

In fairness the cheaper F4 version if you are shooting landscapes would be just as good as you would never really be shooting at F2.8. Comes in handy for low light situations but if its purely for landscape then save the money and get the F4 version!
    You could pick up a cheaper 17-40 F4 L series version on adverts etc for around €400-500

Homer wrote: »
    In fairness the cheaper F4 version if you are shooting landscapes would be just as good as you would never really be shooting at F2.8. Comes in handy for low light situations but if its purely for landscape then save the money and get the F4 version!
    You could pick up a cheaper 17-40 F4 L series version on adverts etc for around €400-500

I'd like to be able to have it if I ever make it to see the Northern Lights and also for night/star trail stuff. I can dream ;)

Nebaw wrote: »
    I'd love to be even able to consider it :( Even 2nd hand its a pricey piece of kit.

What I've been using to date is a 28mm F1.8 Canon EF lens. I got it new in the US when there about 5 years ago and it's been great.

I'm afraid it's also out of budget new at closer to €600 here, but maybe if you found one second hand it would be an option. Conns have it and Whelans.. https://www.whelancameras.ie/Canon-EF-28mm-F1.8-USM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

What I've been using to date is a 28mm F1.8 Canon EF lens. I got it new in the US when there about 5 years ago and it's been great.

I'm afraid it's also out of budget new at closer to €600 here, but maybe if you found one second hand it would be an option. Conns have it and Whelans.. https://www.whelancameras.ie/Canon-EF-28mm-F1.8-USM

Wex currently have one second hand for £233 (about €275-€280) but you would need to use parcel motel or similar for delivery.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-used-canon-ef-28mm-f1-8-usm-lens/p1622354

I bought a 17-40 F4 from them last year for €380 after exchange rates, the can be some great bargains if you are prepared to shop around second hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Nebaw

Wex currently have one second hand for £233 (about €275-€280) but you would need to use parcel motel or similar for delivery.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-used-canon-ef-28mm-f1-8-usm-lens/p1622354

I bought a 17-40 F4 from them last year for €380 after exchange rates, the can be some great bargains if you are prepared to shop around second hand.

I've actually never been on wex, thanks for that! I'm all for shopping 2nd hand its probably the way i will go for the next lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Homer

I'd like to be able to have it if I ever make it to see the Northern Lights and also for night/star trail stuff. I can dream ;)

I shot the northern lights up in Tromso at the tip of Northern Norway just over two years ago.. Will try root out what camera/settings I used but from memory I used a faster lens focused to infinity wide open to allow in as much light as possible rather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

You could also consider one of the Sigma 10 - 20 zooms, should be within the budget and are highly thought of for landscape work on a crop sensor camera.

Advertisement