Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upstream nymphing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭minktrapper

ardinn wrote: »
    Dont let them see you!!!

The don't let them see you bit can be tricky.They are 4 and 5 rod lengths away and still they stop.The good casting bit is obvious enough. They are so easy to spook. I expect you need to cast both flies above them. So a long leader is required. 7/8 feet?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

The don't let them see you bit can be tricky.They are 4 and 5 rod lengths away and still they stop.The good casting bit is obvious enough. They are so easy to spook. I expect you need to cast both flies above them. So a long leader is required. 7/8 feet?

Yes i'd never use anything less than 9 foot because if you have less the leader wont turn over, I'd use 10ft with the klink and dink.. and with nearly everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

9ft minimum - but if they are that spooky drop the dropper and go with a single dry cast well above them. But then your not upstream nymphing!

I dont have the patience for that anyway - i'd just get above them and feed them wets!

9ft minimum - but if they are that spooky drop the dropper and go with a single dry cast well above them. But then your not upstream nymphing!

I dont have the patience for that anyway - i'd just get above them and feed them wets!

What wet flies do you use for mayfly on a river. Don't think I can get above them either as it is too deep to wade.

I'm having success on march browns

but Grey Goslings work too - any goslings really, do a bit of research on wet may's. Google is your friend!

• Advertisement

I'm having success on march browns

but Grey Goslings work too - any goslings really, do a bit of research on wet may's. Google is your friend!

Are you catching trout on mayflies already. I saw one today on the bank of the river. Thought it might be a bit early for mayflies but apparently not.

Are you catching trout on mayflies already. I saw one today on the bank of the river. Thought it might be a bit early for mayflies but apparently not.

No they are'nt mayflies - march brown is a wet pattern similar to hatching may's, the grey gosling is essentially a may nymph - I'm just back from the river and I hit 5 trout, all on grey nymphs - wouldnt touch any sparkle / olives or bright shrimps. Make of that what you will!

Are size 10 wet goslings too big for wet mayfly fishing on rivers.

Are size 10 wet goslings too big for wet mayfly fishing on rivers.

Depends - try them out - I have 12's if you need to go smaller.

Good man.Thank you.

• Advertisement

Another question. What size nymph would you use this time of year. I don't mean mayfly nymph but other nymph. And do i put something on the leader to float it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Another question. What size nymph would you use this time of year. I don't mean mayfly nymph but other nymph. And do i put something on the leader to float it.

I use 12 and 14 but it would depend on the water. Why do you want to float a nymph?

Ya dont float nymphs :D

Where are you from?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

I use to put flotant on the leader in the summer when fishing upstream with a pheasant tail nymph i would grease leader to within 3 to 4 inches of nymph this was for trout rising near and in the surface flim it worked like a dream size 16 and 14 was what i used.

Can I be bold enough to ask you what kind of grease you used to grease the leader. Would you grease close to the nymph if I had a dry fly on the dropper. Or would the floating dry fly be sufficient to keep the nymph high in the water.

Can I be bold enough to ask you what kind of grease you used to grease the leader. Would you grease close to the nymph if I had a dry fly on the dropper. Or would the floating dry fly be sufficient to keep the nymph high in the water.

I think your mixing it up - nymphs are fished underwater - close as possible to the bottom. And with K&D the dry is on the point (end) and the nymph is back up the line about 18 inches or more.

I have never hear of greasing a line but im not that long on the fly - I have heard of degreasing the line!! To make it sink - line on the water leaves a trail!

Get some Gherke's Gink and apply to the dry fly - it will not sink. The nymh is supposed to sink so dont gink that!

I think minktrapper wants the nymph to be fished under a few inches of the water to represent the hatching mayfly, all you do to do this is however deep you want the nymph to be just (for example) I was the nymph to be fishing near the surface I'd would use about 30cm-50cm of tippet from the klink dropper .

Not sure if it would work I've always fished my nmyphs down close to the river bed

I think your mixing it up - nymphs are fished underwater - close as possible to the bottom. And with K&D the dry is on the point (end) and the nymph is back up the line about 18 inches or more.

I have never hear of greasing a line but im not that long on the fly - I have heard of degreasing the line!! To make it sink - line on the water leaves a trail!

Get some Gherke's Gink and apply to the dry fly - it will not sink. The nymh is supposed to sink so dont gink that!

I thought the dry was on the dropper and the nymph on the point. Therefore the nymph would fish maybe 6" to a foot under the surface. Therefore during a hatch the nymph would represent a rising nymph just before getting to the surface. A lot of trout take the rising nymphs as opposed to the adult floating on the surface.

If I fished the dry on the point how would I get the nymph to fish on the bottom.

I think minktrapper wants the nymph to be fished under a few inches of the water to represent the hatching mayfly, all you do to do this is however deep you want the nymph to be just (for example) I was the nymph to be fishing near the surface I'd would use about 30cm-50cm of tippet.

Not sure if it would work I've always fished my nymphs down close to the river bed

Correct. It is my opinion that trout will not go to the surface to consume insects. And will instead just eat the nymph rising from the bottom. They just exert less energy as opposed to breaking the surface. This not only​ goes for mayfly but all insects that hatch on the surface. Sedges are another example.

Im pretty sure the dry is at the end! But maybe im wrong - wouldnt be the first time ha. But the way I do it is the top image, seems to make more sense.

[IMG][/img]Untitled.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Im pretty sure the dry is at the end! But maybe im wrong - wouldnt be the first time ha. But the way I do it is the top image, seems to make more sense.

[IMG][/img]Untitled.png

Klinkhammer and dink has the nymph at the end. If you have the dry at the end it's called a washing line.
    If you have the nymph at the end but the fry is on a dropper rather than tying the nymph to the bend of the the dry fly then it's called the duo.

we decided a few pages back we were not tying the dropper to the dry hook! Pay attention :-P

but fair nuff i'll concede on k&d

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

we decided a few pages back we were not tying the dropper to the dry hook! Pay attention :-P

but fair nuff i'll concede on k&d

You may have, I didn't.

I think you lose a lot of your bite indication if you use a dropper.

Depends how long the dropper is ( the klink) the longer the more less bit detection I think, and to have a smaller than normal dropper because with the klink you should keep it very short due to tangles etc. The secound image is correct Ardinn

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    You may have, I didn't.

I think you lose a lot of your bite indication if you use a dropper.

And I always found you lose more fish with droppers tied to the bend of a fly.

Is it possible to fish deep water with the klink and dink method . Would the weight of the nymph and line sink the dry fly.

Is it possible to fish deep water with the klink and dink method . Would the weight of the nymph and line sink the dry fly.

Use a longer dropper if you want to go deep.

Use a longer dropper if you want to go deep.

Or a longer leader? Can ye recommend a knot for a dropper. I used always use a bloodknot. And leader material. I see there is copolymer and fluorocarbon nylon out there now. Which is the best material.

Or a longer leader? Can ye recommend a knot for a dropper. I used always use a bloodknot. And leader material. I see there is copolymer and fluorocarbon nylon out there now. Which is the best material.

Bloodknot for a dropper is a no no if you did get a decent trout it would snap I use this knot https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dZGQ05JaiGo really easy to do, I normally use nylon Drennen 4lb-6lb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

Mucilin is what i grease the leader with and use it for all dry flys, tried them all found it the best out of them all it leaves little or no slik in the water.

Advertisement