Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upstream nymphing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

ardinn wrote: »
    Im pretty sure the dry is at the end! But maybe im wrong - wouldnt be the first time ha. But the way I do it is the top image, seems to make more sense.

[IMG][/img]Untitled.png
    Nymph is at the end you fish a klinkhammer on the top nymph tied to the hook or the klinkhammer can be tied to a dropper a its called new zeland style,you normaly use bright orange for the post of the klinkhammer as a sight very good at lifting a lot of trout it is probaly the nearest form of flyfishing to float fishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Bloodknot for a dropper is a no no if you did get a decent trout it would snap I use this knot https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dZGQ05JaiGo really easy to do, I normally use nylon Drennen 4lb-6lb

That's the knot. Very quick, very easy and never fails. I use fluorocarbon but that just my personal choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Floro is good especially for just dry fly fishing as it sinks faster compared to nylon I would use either or to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Floro is good especially for just dry fly fishing as it sinks faster compared to nylon I would use either or to be honest

Something wrong here.

Something wrong here.

:confused: if your fishing on lakes or rivers spooky trout will see your nylon leader floating when fishing with dries so they will hesitate to bite or not. Floro tents to sink but the dry stays up with gink.

• Advertisement

:confused: if your fishing on lakes or rivers spooky trout will see your nylon leader floating when fishing with dries so they will hesitate to bite or not. Floro tents to sink but the dry stays up with gink.
    On lakes sparsly tied size 14 and 16s the fluro will pull them down no mater what you put on them.fish stroft with double davey knots down to the lighter lines will do the trick.

blackpearl wrote: »
    On lakes sparsly tied size 14 and 16s the fluro will pull them down no mater what you put on them.fish stroft with double davey knots down to the lighter lines will do the trick.

"fish stroft with double davey knots down to the lighter lines will do the trick" now I am equally confused. I will be fishing rivers. So what will I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Black this is more of a beginner discussion so explanations needed on more experienced terms.

Stroft is a type of line. Very thin in diameter - probably the best going.

Nobody knows it all. I am fly fishing for over 20 yds.

Black this is more of a beginner discussion so explanations needed on more experienced terms.

Stroft is a type of line. Very thin in diameter - probably the best going.

Very expensive and just not worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Nobody knows it all. I am fly fishing for over 20 yds.

With a bit of practice you will get to 30yrds easy
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

With a bit of practice you will get to 30yrds easy
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

30yrds pfft make that 40yrds:eek::eek:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

We all have our fav materials and it's down to personal pref. Mine are maxima ultragreen for drys, or frog hair copolymer if they are v fussy and fulling mill fluro for when I want to go deeper quicker, buzzers, wets etc. I'd never use fluro for drys that's just mad!
    3 turn water knot for joining 2 pieces I.e dropper, perfection loop for loops! and orvis knot for hooks. That's after many yds of trying different things.

Auldloon wrote: »
    We all have our fav materials and it's down to personal pref. Mine are maxima ultragreen for drys, or frog hair copolymer if they are v fussy and fulling mill fluro for when I want to go deeper quicker, buzzers, wets etc. I'd never use fluro for drys that's just mad!
    3 turn water knot for joining 2 pieces I.e dropper, perfection loop for loops! and orvis knot for hooks. That's after many yds of trying different things.

Yes I agree I'd sometimes use floro on rivers, normally when fishing the rivers as there not that picky I find but when fishing lakes especially when there's no wind I defo go for floro.. I think that fish in lakes have more time to inspect the fly but river fish only have a few secounds.. that's just a few things I picked up in all the yrds!!

Very expensive and just not worth it.

At 1.50 euro dearer than maxima ultra green for a 100 meter spool ,and half the thickness for the same weight dont know where you are comming from.

"fish stroft with double davey knots down to the lighter lines will do the trick" now I am equally confused. I will be fishing rivers. So what will I do.

Sorry minktrapper i got carried away i would fish 12 to 20s dry on rivers and never use fluro, grease the leader to within about 9" of fly works for me.

At 1.50 euro dearer than maxima ultra green for a 100 meter spool ,and half the thickness for the same weight dont know where you are comming from.

My apologies, I was on the wrong tack. I was thinking of a fly line I saw a couple of years back for €175. I thought it was Stroft but it was something similar and also, d'oh, not tippet or leader as you referred to.
    Put it down to old age.

My apologies, I was on the wrong tack. I was thinking of a fly line I saw a couple of years back for €175. I thought it was Stroft but it was something similar and also, d'oh, not tippet or leader as you referred to.
    Put it down to old age.

By the sound of things a good few happy years fishing left in you yet,cheers.

So I went fishing today. Upstream nymphing with a size 14 pheasant tail nymph. I only put on the one. Got four small trout and all were returned. I did not feel any of them take the nymph which is a bit disappointing but at least I caught some. I hope there are larger fish to be caught.A lot of strong sunlight today which I presume would not be ideal.

So I went fishing today. Upstream nymphing with a size 14 pheasant tail nymph. I only put on the one. Got four small trout and all were returned. I did not feel any of them take the nymph which is a bit disappointing but at least I caught some. I hope there are larger fish to be caught.A lot of strong sunlight today which I presume would not be ideal.

most of the time you wont feel them watch where the leader enters the water you will see it move strike if you see any movement like a flash of a trout strike anything at all that you sence that is different you will soon get the hang of it.

• Advertisement

Actually the one time I saw a fish moving I did not feel anything. I struck it and nothing.Thats fishing for you. I still don't see any decent fish moving though. As in anything over a half pound. I saw a trout "drowning in the river a few years ago". For want of a better explanation. It was during a very warm spell. Could this be from lack of oxygen? Could this have an over all effect on the river?

Could be a number of things a trout that was releasted the day before ,old age ,after a flood and what you said ect hard to know unless you seen a lot of trout in this state.

Half pound trout in perfect condition. Hardly old age. But could be a multitude of other things I presume.

Half pound trout in perfect condition. Hardly old age. But could be a multitude of other things I presume.

all depends on what river you were fishing a 1/2 pound could be between 8 and 10 years old.

Very true, depends on the insects and if there is a lot of food available, a half pound isn't to be sniffed at in my opinion! All trout in fact!

all depends on what river you were fishing a 1/2 pound could be between 8 and 10 years old.

Very true. In the normal run of things 1/2 lb trout would be considered small. Any idea how old the same fish would be on a rich limestone river.

Very true. In the normal run of things 1/2 lb trout would be considered small. Any idea how old the same fish would be on a rich limestone river.
    I remember a trout caught on lough sheelin a few years back by a young fella spinning from the shore that was 12 pound the scales of the fish were sent to a marine bio in dublin the trout was 7 years old sheelin is a rich limestone lake where they say a trout can put on up to 2lb a year.

I remember a trout caught on lough sheelin a few years back by a young fella spinning from the shore that was 12 pound the scales of the fish were sent to a marine bio in dublin the trout was 7 years old sheelin is a rich limestone lake where they say a trout can put on up to 2lb a year.

That's incredible.

In a river I think it could be different, I herd a half a pound a year in a very rich river, also rivers are more prone to pollution. There's very few rich rivers like the suir around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

ive caught trout up to 3lb on the liffey... ive heard of a 5lb on being caught too.. but theres a trout club 8 miles away from me and the average size is a 1lb or so. would that have to do with more coarse fish on my stretch for trout to prey on??

Advertisement