Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upstream nymphing

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Could be, brown trout that are larger like 4lb tend to go for bait fish I've seen some very decent trout caught on roach deadbait I remember last year catching a trout I'd say about a half pound on the dry fly and only to find out a salmon smelt in his mouth!! There very predatory fish! Could be that there are more insects. Better water conditions etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

In a river I think it could be different, I herd a half a pound a year in a very rich river, also rivers are more prone to pollution. There's very few rich rivers like the suir around.

Analee in cavan has unbeliveable growth rate between cavan and lough Eirn some huge trout on the sedge if you no where to look up to 6 or 7 lb hard work more so in pike like water but their still their and one or two streams in westmeath .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

blackpearl wrote: »
    Analee in cavan has unbeliveable growth rate between cavan and lough Eirn some huge trout on the sedge if you no where to look up to 6 or 7 lb hard work more so in pike like water but their still their and one or two streams in westmeath .

Mostly them big fish are from lakes, one river I fish has run of spawning fish from a lake and you get them from June onwards there mostly 5lb or more I've caught them before released them. They come from the lake and would go into a river to spawn! I tend to catch them were you would normally go for pike too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

i think trout are a lot more predatory than people realise.

Advertisement