Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV owners, do me a quick calculation please.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,525 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks KC, was hoping for a cloud based solution thats some of the chargers support that might upload the data to the cloud..

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Thanks KC, was hoping for a cloud based solution thats some of the chargers support that might upload the data to the cloud..

Im sure thats there too but I presume those chargers are at the upper end of the price range?

I wouldnt value that cloud service enough to pay big money for it.

I occasionally log the reading along with the mileage on the car and I'm building up a view over time myself. I dont really need a daily report.... once a month would do.

I usually do it as well when I get the reminder to submit my electricity meter reading to my provider.... the EVSE and the meter are next to each other so I just take both readings together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Interesting website, thank you for sharing: how do you keep track of the electrons loaded at night if you charge at home?
    Thanks

I have a plug-in power meter since I only use a 13A socket at home for charging (charger in the car is only 10A), and I record/reset this when I fill the tank (as I only have the one trip counter for all hybrid/EV mode driving).

I guess it's a bit more complicated if you have a fixed charging point (EVSE) installed in your home - you'd need one in the charger or in the consumer unit (fuse box) like what KCross said.

Your car may measure how much energy is used from charging but may not take into account loss in efficiency i.e. the power drawn from the mains will be higher than what goes into the battery.

I also always forget to record energy used from public chargers, but don't use them much (probably <10% of my charging).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I have a plug-in power meter since I only use a 13A socket at home for charging (charger in the car is only 10A), and I record/reset this when I fill the tank (as I only have the one trip counter for all hybrid/EV mode driving).

I guess it's a bit more complicated if you have a fixed charging point (EVSE) installed in your home - you'd either need to get a charger with an integrated meter, or get a dedicated meter installed in your consumer unit (fuse box) which I think is possible, but probably not cheap.

Your car may measure how much energy is used from charging but may not take into account loss in efficiency i.e. the power drawn from the mains will be higher than what goes into the battery.

I also always forget to record energy used from public chargers, but don't use them much (probably <10% of my charging).

The actual KWh meter commonly used is very cheap and is Chinese , a sparks I suspect would add it during install for little or no additional charge , if you supplied the unit

I have totalising counters, but to be honest beyond estimating from the night rate , Ive given up counting electrons, its not like I have any choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

I don't think NIMAN's thread is the place for a discussion on charging etiquette, and certainly not the place to critique other's use of the network.

Can we pull this back on topic and refrain from the personal attacks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

This thread is officially retconned back on topic. :P

Advertisement