Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Politicians

Options
  • 23-03-2017 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

There seems to be alot of kudos being give to Paudie Coffey in being instrumental in having the North Quays being designated a SDZ which seems to have aided this whole Saudi investment coup. He was also instrumental in kick starting the boundary review which will hopefully follow the recommendations set out. So was it a mistake by the voting public to not vote him in again at the last election?

He is one of Enda Kenny's bumchums which got him into the Seanad for this term after his election defeat. It begs the question would he have got a full ministry role had he got back his TD seat this time and thus been able to influence decisions regarding Waterford and the South East much more than say John Halligan has in his current role.

He would certainly be far better than poll topper Mary Butler who is just Ciara Conway mark II, in fact she is worse, Ciara did absolutely nothing for Waterford but Mary appears to be taking this a step furthur by actually screwing Waterford by going against the boundary recommendations and saying whatever Michael Martin tells her to say!

David Cullinane, I'm not sure about yet. He is never off the telly at the moment, seems to be working his way up the ladder in Sinn Fein, is never off social media, seems to be forever publishing discussion papers but is he all talk and like alot of Sinn Fein, just saying whatever will be popular. Would he be good for Waterford if Sinn Fein were in power?

John Halligan, naive maybe, but he is in the best position we have at the moment to get stuff done here, its just a pity he hasnt acheived much for us.

There is another chap but i cant remember his name.

I know the above is very centered on Waterford, call it parish pump if you want but I do believe that grow the city and the rest of the South East region will benefit.

By the way, I don't have any time for any of them personally..as far as i'm concerned..they are all snakes!!! :p:p:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I have made this point before...lunacy to not vote for Coffey .look at what he's been connected to boundary, north quays, fire station, courthouse, investment in city centre, regional ida manager, increased fdi visits....yet all I got was silly 'he was found out'comments which mean nothing or else denials that he was involved in the positives we had when he was around.some even argued that the works on north quays and SDZ are of little value,I hope they realise how wrong they were.
    At end of day I have either serious doubts about some people's common sense and just the fact that some short sighted people prefer a table banger like halligan, Mick Wallace, etc etc but they achieve sod all in general for investment and jobs we want.
    No doubt he would have maintained his junior minister role as a minimum and IMO we would be better off than we are now.there is no nice way to say this, I'm no Einstein but thru the years, I came to conclusion that a lot of people don't know much about various things they should do and their decisions can be, in general, nonsensical like not voting for the person who is most likely to get jobs and investment into your area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Not voting back in Coffey was a big mistake. He will surely get back in the next election. The present 4 TDs are useless. At least Coffey achieved things. John Cummins is good too. Only thing hampering them is their party don't care about Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Fine Gael will have to make it worth John Deasy's while to not stand in the next election, otherwise Fine Gael mightn't even win a seat!

AdMMM wrote: »
    Fine Gael will have to make it worth John Deasy's while to not stand in the next election, otherwise Fine Gael mightn't even win a seat!

Surely Coffey will take deasy's seat, whether deasy runs or not. An if Fianna Fáil are to run a second candidate then that candidate should take butlers seat. Can't see butler getting back in despite topping the poll the last time. Halligan and Cullinane to take the other two seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Fianna Fail have said they will vote against the boundary extension. How can any Waterford person vote for any candidate they put forward?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

longshanks wrote: »
    Fianna Fail have said they will vote against the boundary extension. How can any Waterford person vote for any candidate they put forward?
    There's lots bigger reasons not to vote for Fianna Fáil than the boundary extension .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

There's lots bigger reasons not to vote for Fianna Fáil than the boundary extension .

I agree completely chief, but Mary Butler was voted in last time even though she was largely anonymous, and now she is campaigning against Waterfords growth and development.

longshanks wrote: »
    I agree completely chief, but Mary Butler was voted in last time even though she was largely anonymous, and now she is campaigning against Waterfords growth and development.

She is a doormat. Obviously has no backbone and is more concerned with following the party line than her constituents.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

She is a doormat. Obviously has no backbone and is more concerned with following the party line than her constituents.

Which is exactly what Ciara Conway done and she got the heave for it , but she had lots more potential than Butler but like them all she put the party first over her constituents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Not voting back in Coffey was a big mistake. He will surely get back in the next election. The present 4 TDs are useless. At least Coffey achieved things. John Cummins is good too. Only thing hampering them is their party don't care about Waterford.

I actually think FG were trying to get rid of Deasy but it back fired and the one they wanted to keep lost. You don’t have to be a big follower of politics to see Deasy is clearly a pariah in FG.

I do think Coffey’s achievement have been exaggerated. In the election one of his leaflets came in my door and he was claiming credit for everything bar the tides on the Suir.

At the end of the day this time in government FG has treated Waterford appallingly. The way they treated Waterford in 24 hr cardiac care issue on its own would put most people off voting for them. This is why their vote collapsed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Surely Coffey will take deasy's seat, whether deasy runs or not. An if Fianna Fáil are to run a second candidate then that candidate should take butlers seat. Can't see butler getting back in despite topping the poll the last time. Halligan and Cullinane to take the other two seats.

Hasn't Halligan said he won't be running again?

I think Cullinane gets in again, other then that its wide open.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Halligan is nothing more than a piece of s.. manure.

An empty voice without the resonance of an echo!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭invara

Some of the comments here seem a bit rough on people who go into politics. I think most of them put themselves forward trying to improve things for the city/region.

Since the state was founded Waterford has only had one or two TDs with the power to do something meaningful for the city/region. I might be wrong but I think we have only had two senior ministers- Austin Deasy (with little interest in the city) and Martin Cullen. If true it is remarkable that in 33 Dails, with 15 cabinet spots and around 160 tds, that we have had so little time in the sun. Cork, Limerick and Galway almost always have one or two senior ministers each.

I feel the main reason was that we sent docile backbenchers back election after election and then never made them pay electorally for their failure to deliver. Thankfully that practice appears to be at an end now. We also have been unlucky (so Coffey might have made it last time out, but Deasy took the FG vote; or O'Shea might have got something if he had not retired and been replaced by Conway etc.....).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

invara wrote: »
    Some of the comments here seem a bit rough on people who go into politics. I think most of them put themselves forward trying to improve things for the city/region.

Don't be so naïve! Who got the penthouse at the Maritana Gate complex because he pulled a few strings in the process??? I'll give you a clue, he is living in Florida!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Don't be so naïve! Who got the penthouse at the Maritana Gate complex because he pulled a few strings in the process??? I'll give you a clue, he is living in Florida!

Thats quite an accusation, are you saying it wasn't paid for, is there anything concrete/to trust behind your comments? You accused previous of naivety, you could be accused of paranoia or just spreading baseless lies.
    +The previous 2 comments by previous poster are not unique, an indication of the level of or lack of proper thought on who to vote for, its shocking when you think of when you consider these idiots actually have a vote. SupposeI, must take into account most of posters contributions are negative, pathetic,or trolling.

Advertisement