Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car keeps rolling when in gear

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

You are saying compression has nothing to do with it, stick by your post now. If it's a diesel remove the glow plugs and injectors.

I am sticking with it, have I hinted at otherwise.
    Again, I park my car on a hill. Leave in first, apply the handbrake and then turn the wheels in towards the footpath so it doesn't roll down.
    Why, would any compression within the engine be factor here?
    No one is going to try your experiment tbh.

Edit. After checking it out it seems you may be correct.
    However, it would have to be a very steep hill for this to apply and simply putting it in reverse would stop it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

bear1 wrote: »
    I am sticking with it, have I hinted at otherwise.
    Again, I park my car on a hill. Leave in first, apply the handbrake and then turn the wheels in towards the footpath so it doesn't roll down.
    Why, would any compression within the engine be factor here?
    No one is going to try your experiment tbh

The compression in the engine makes it harder to turn when there's no combustion happening. Take the glow pugs or spark plugs out and there's no compression in the cylinder.

Putting it in reverse would make no difference in this case. The gearing may be different than in first, that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The compression in the engine makes it harder to turn when there's no combustion happening. Take the glow pugs or spark plugs out and there's no compression in the cylinder.

Putting it in reverse would make no difference in this case.

Fair cop I was wrong.

Isambard wrote: »
    i thought you shouldn't leave a diesel in gear or is that ancient history?

Yeah, these days you can't really push start a diesel that hasn't got the ignition turned on.

Back in the day when everything was mechanical you could.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yeah, these days you can't really push start a diesel that hasn't got the ignition turned on.

Back in the day when everything was mechanical you could.

just as well as I've had a diesel for two years and only just remembered that nugget!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

compression is all you need
    1MC7Yzm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

You also need fuel, with modern electronically controlled injectors no fuel will be injected unless the ECU is active, which means the 'ignition' must be turned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Pete67 wrote: »
    You also need fuel, with modern electronically controlled injectors no fuel will be injected unless the ECU is active, which means the 'ignition' must be turned on.
    You're way over thinking this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Maybe it was parked on one of those magic slopes where everything goes mad?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

emeldc wrote: »
    So how will the engine generate enough compression to get moving with the engine running.

Add fuel obviously.

• Advertisement

Add fuel obviously.

I'm not a mechanic but that is absolute utter rubbish. You know what they say, when you're in a hole ................

I'm not a mechanic but that is absolute utter rubbish. You know what they say, when you're in a hole ................

You are dismissing adding fuel for an engine to go, riiight. :cool:

You are dismissing adding fuel for an engine to go, riiight. :cool:

Go ahead, add as much as you like. If you've no compression you won't get very far.
    How come it took you so long with the 'adding fuel' answer. Google not working right today.

Go ahead, add as much as you like. If you've no compression you won't get very far.
    How come it took you so long with the 'adding fuel' answer. Google not working right today.

I proved my posts along time ago in this thread, don't believe me read Colms one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I proved my posts along time ago in this thread, don't believe me read Colms one.

I must have missed the post where you proved Toyota were using "low compression" small n/a petrol engines in 2005

It's a low compression engine on par to others in 2005. Is this turning into a court case or What?

Ah we could be here all night. I haven't the interest TBH. As the man says in the film Toodaloo Mothafcukaaaaaaaa :D

I'm the same, I must face some real world problems tomorrow :)

It's a low compression engine on par to others in 2005. Is this turning into a court case or What?

No Jack it's actually a higher compression engine than most other economy designed 1.4's from the mid noughties.

Plenty high enough to hold a corolla on slightly slanted ground at a petrol station, most likely designed as such to prevent standing water.

But yes I agree this isn't a court case and I apologise for rising ya.

You do often dabble in a bit of the aul rising yourself though in other threads ;)

Where has op in this thread said it's a 1.4 petrol? Could be right in front of my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Hang on I think everyone missed to ask the question

When at the pumps, did the car roll back, or go forward?

If it went forward when in first that makes sense

If you put it into reverse and it went forward then really is messed up.

I just tried both scenarios in a 2.2 td car on a hill

I'm no mechanic though

Where has op in this thread said it's a 1.4 petrol? Could be right in front of my eyes.

I've made an educated guess on that as it'd be the most common configuration.

However it might be a 1.8 corolla T-sport but the aul high revving 2zzge has an even higher compression ratio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

In Paris they used to leave the handbrake off / applied very lightly so that people could slowly drive into the bumper of the car and shunt it along to make more space when parallel parking.

You'd just leave your handbrake on very lightly and the wheels straight and the car in neutral.

If wasn't an official thing, just a convention.

Things aren't quite as convivial these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

In Paris they used to leave the handbrake off / applied very lightly so that people could slowly drive into the bumper of the car and shunt it along to make more space when parallel parking.

You'd just leave your handbrake on very lightly and the wheels straight and the car in neutral.

If wasn't an official thing, just a convention.

Things aren't quite as convivial these days.

Geneva too, and afaik they still do it.

Edit: this could have been just certain districts, but I know for sure it was true for the streets surrounding the IFRC headquarters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

It's probably less doable nowadays as you've a lot more electric and automatic handbrakes on manual transmission cars and also way more automatic​s and semi automatic​s not to mention hybrids and elevated EVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭mikeecho

OP, how far does the car roll?
    Is the engine turned off?
    Are you pressing the clutch ?

i know that these might seem like overly simple questions.. but they have to be asked

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

mikeecho wrote: »
    OP, how far does the car roll?
    Is the engine turned off?
    Are you pressing the clutch ?

i know that these might seem like overly simple questions.. but they have to be asked

...read my mind. Also, the car being manual was never mentioned. I don't know if there even was an automatic Corolla in 2005, nor if they have that "PRDN321" selector type in case, but I've seen people with auto cars say "it's in first" because they put the lever on "1" with the car stationary. Sorry for assuming such level of "cluelessness" OP, but we've seen stuff like this before on Motors :P

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    ...read my mind. Also, the car being manual was never mentioned. I don't know if there even was an automatic Corolla in 2005, nor if they have that "PRDN321" selector type in case, but I've seen people with auto cars say "it's in first" because they put the lever on "1" with the car stationary. Sorry for assuming such level of "cluelessness" OP, but we've seen stuff like this before on Motors :P

They did a traditional PRND321 torque converter in the 1.6 petrol model, they also did the dreadful multimode automated manual in the 1.4 D-4D which you could leave in gear like you would a manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Have we actually established that this is a manual gearbox, and not an Auto?? :D:D:D

Leaving an Auto in "First" and the handbrake off, won't do much.....

• Advertisement

It's safe to say it's a manual as 99.9% of corollas sold in Ireland around then were manual

Advertisement