Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple grafting tools

Options
  • 23-03-2017 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for somewhere in dublin that sells apple grafting tools. Online doesn't work as I don't have time to wait for delivery. Can anyone help me out? It's to graft from a tree that's being taken down on Monday. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd say your best bet would be to ring the likes of mr. middleton - not that they woul dnecessarily sell them, but they're likely to know who might supply them maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭gk5000

Effects wrote: »
    I'm looking for somewhere in dublin that sells apple grafting tools. Online doesn't work as I don't have time to wait for delivery. Can anyone help me out? It's to graft from a tree that's being taken down on Monday. Thanks.
    All you really need tool wise is a sharp knife and some tape, duct tape & electrical tape is fine - just to keep the joint together and water out- but do you have root stock to graft it on to?

Also, you can take scions from the old tree - a bit longer that needed and stick them in damp compost - just to keep them alive/dormant until you are ready and then trim them.

Lastly - unless you're skilled take make many more grafts that you need - and some will work, and try a few practice cuts first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I found using a tool easier than a sharp knife!
    I do have root stock. Leftovers from a quick workshop I did on grafting.
    I thought the tree was finished as 95% was cut down in December but there's a few bits on it that I think I can graft from.
    Planning to take as many as I can, in case of failures.

Thanks for the advice

Advertisement