Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extractor not blowing

• 23-03-2017 12:13pm
    Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭

New (to us) house and the extractor isn't blowing when turned on. I can hear the motor "buzz" when I turn on the extractor switch, but no extraction.

It's a GR04R from what I can see on the hood, and google finds me plenty of parts for it, but i'm not sure where to start, and dont fancy buying ALL THE PARTS! :pac:

Ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

Well I imagine it should be sucking not blowing, unless its connected to a vent and you are checking outside at the vent, did you take out the filter and try it without the filter, those filters get clogged up with grease fairly quickly and need to be replaced regularly.

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

ellobee wrote: »
    Well I imagine it should be sucking not blowing, unless its connected to a vent and you are checking outside at the vent, did you take out the filter and try it without the filter, those filters get clogged up with grease fairly quickly and need to be replaced regularly.

"Extractor not sucking" could imply it's a really good extractor.

It's not the filter anyways - filter meaning the removable mesh grid on the underside of the hood. Audibly, it's as though the motor is getting power (power buzz noise), but no fans are moving (no fan/whooshing air noise).

ok could be a knackered motor then, which is probably not worth replacing, depending on the type of hood of course, the bog standard ones are not too expensive,

Btw What do you call someone who used to like Tractors???

ok could be a knackered motor then, which is probably not worth replacing, depending on the type of hood of course, the bog standard ones are not too expensive,

Btw What do you call someone who used to like Tractors???

Ahhhh, this guy!

The extractor is built in. Similar to this:
    Wood-Range-Hood-Rustic-Alder.jpg
    Drive motor looks like £80+ from ransomspares.co.uk. Saucy enough.

We've an electrician calling out hopefully tomorrow (checking something else out) so i'll run it by him and see what he says/thinks. I don't fancy spending £80+ and hoping i'm right that it's the motor.

Ahhhh, this guy!

An Ex Tractor Fan!!!!:D

• Advertisement

Ahhhh, this guy!

An Ex Tractor Fan!!!!:D

I'll run that one by my electrician.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

It's a canopy fan you are after so (it's a fan that fits under your existing canopy)

Twin motor versions can be got for around €89 new, so no point spending any big money on a new motor for your old one.

Electrician confirmed, dead motor.

He also did a damning job of pointing out everything wrong with our new houses' wiring.... in fact, i'm not sure he said anything good about our electrics at all. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

To be honest, we're noticing lots of previous jobs in the house where the work is flawed. Spaghetti junction of wires at our front door. I didn't think the wiring was great to begin with, but one of his suggestions was to rewire the house. :pac:
    He showed me enough to get me thinking about it.

• Advertisement

To be honest, we're noticing lots of previous jobs in the house where the work is flawed. Spaghetti junction of wires at our front door. I didn't think the wiring was great to begin with, but one of his suggestions was to rewire the house. :pac:
    He showed me enough to get me thinking about it.
    Did your surveyor not point this out before you bought it. I guess the extractor fan is the least of your problems now

Did your surveyor not point this out before you bought it. I guess the extractor fan is the least of your problems now

Surveyor pointed out the extractor fan alright. Didn't raise any points around the electrics themselves though. I know they can't inspect and test everything, but the electrician was surprised it wasn't highlighted to us.

What's done is done, it's not news we were expecting, but we can't wish it away or ignore it. On the up side, if we get new wiring, I get to put CAT6 in where I want it. And the spaghetti (coated in layers of paint) junction of wires can disappear along with our meter (outside it goes).

#TryingToStayPositive #FriNay :rolleyes:

Advertisement