Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scarifier

Options
  • 23-03-2017 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

I see Lidl have a scarifier. Worth buying? Our north facing front garden is full of moss and dandelions. If you use one what else do you do with the lawn?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

For a small lawn, yes, the lidl machine is very useful.

What you do: Take time to read the instructions and set it up correctly - there will be very fast-moving spikes/blades and an electrical cord, so the last thing you want is something to not be secured. Not being patronising.

You cut the lawn.
    Attach the aerator cartridge (using the scarifying blade will cut grooves in the lawn) and set it at the highest operating height for the first run anyway, which should be 0. Don't need to use the grass catcher - it's too small.
    Slowly scarify/rake the lawn (the aerator will cut grass too).
    Go over the lawn with the mower to pick up the debris.
    Maybe give a liquid or granular feed to the lawn.

If your lawn is far more moss than grass there will be a few other bits that need doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Used a Lidl manual one on the back suburban garden last year.
    Mighty work in more ways than one, raised a sweat.
    Took an amount of crap off it. Brought up enough soil to reseed by going over it twice.
    The grass was thin and poor. Spread seed, used hand rake to cover and used back of shovel to consolidate as I hadn't a hand roller. Turned out very well.
    Fed it later.

Scarifying is one of the best things to do to a manky lawn.
    Must look up this electric one. I'm getting old.

Advertisement