Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTTH Router Configuration questions

Options
  • 23-03-2017 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭

I have a few questions regarding the supplied router, and how I can integrate it into my home network. I realise that some configurartions may not be "supported" and I am not concerned with that.. What I am concerned with is whether what I am describing is technically possible.

I wish to use my own router because of the advanced QoS and filtering capabilities. I use what is basically a small Linux box with DNSMasq for blacklisting malware and age inappropriate content.

Is it possible to bridge the Eir provided router so that my router is basically "on the internet", i.e. it has a publicly routable address.

If I bridge the router, what happens to the telephony aspect? Is it possible to register my own SIP client to your telephony server?

Assume for the above quesitons that you won't have to hold my hand, and thta in the event of any issues I won't come crying to you about my non-standard configuration. 

Do you block any traffic alt all? Protocols/ports? Do you prioritise any traffic?

Your advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Gerry

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭eir: Anna

Hi gerryk,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Unfortunately, modem bridging can conflict with the eir's wifi recommended settings so we don't support it.

We don't block any traffic on our broadband or prioritise traffic.

If you click here you will be able to find previous threads with information on bridging.

Thanks,
    Anna.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Hi Anna...
    thanks for the fast reply. Regarding your first answer... I am less concerned what what is supported and more with what is possible. I get that you can't advise on how to do something lest you be seen to support it, and therefore be on the hook for issues that may arise.

Could you advise re. this question please: "If I bridge the router, what happens to the telephony aspect? Is it possible to register my own SIP client to your telephony server?"

Regards
    Gerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭eir: Anna

I would recommend contacting our technical support team on 1890 260 260 or freephone 1901 and they would be able to assist you further on your query.

I apologise I can't  assist you further on this.

Thanks,
    Anna.

Advertisement