Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I was heading to the train yesterday morning and could hear him roaring at you from about 20 meters away
    I only came around the corner after the incident
    Was stopped at the crossing as you went off and when the traffic followed he took off a such a pace over the railway bridge I wouldn't have been surprised if he was going to run you off the road, I would guess though you would have been over in the bus lane the other side of the bridge by then so were safe

Total and utter W@nker, especially with a kid in the jeep, though she seemed oblivious too it so sadly I would guess his behaviour and outbursts are a regular occurrence

Don't be down about your reaction, you were very restrained compared to what he deserved

Thanks for that NO, It's much appreciated. I did think afterwards that I let myself down by responding to him. Sometimes you just react to these situations in ways you never would under normal circumstances (I'm not in the habit of getting into shouting matches with complete strangers!)

I re-watched both videos last night, I'll post them up here when I can extract them from the bigger file - they're both worth reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,969 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

xckjoo wrote: »

Does anyone have recommendations for a decent, cost-effective (cheap :D) camera? I've been meaning to get one before I need it.
    There are a few of the Aldi's rear facing light/camera left at reduced prices of €40 if you hunt around. It's a decent camera, though you'd probably need a front one too.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057789765

More suggestions in this thread;

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Thanks for that NO, It's much appreciated. I did think afterwards that I let myself down by responding to him. Sometimes you just react to these situations in ways you never would under normal circumstances (I'm not in the habit of getting into shouting matches with complete strangers!)

It happens the best of us. Honestly. I make a point of not engaging, but sometimes you get such a shock that it just happens. That coupled with the fact that you're probably out of breath, a bit tired and it's a perfect storm. Don't sweat it :).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I re-watched both videos last night, I'll post them up here when I can extract them from the bigger file - they're both worth reporting.

Rant away, you will feel less stressed over it once you get it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Rant away! As you said, there's not point in getting into it with people like that so get it out of you here.

Does anyone have recommendations for a decent, cost-effective (cheap :D) camera? I've been meaning to get one before I need it.[/QUOTE

try one of these hero session ones. They are only 160e, but worth in case of anything bad happening...

Although I myself find, that the more I have camera recording, it fells more bad stuff happening around.
    Could be something to do with the fact that with camera I feel I can take more risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I rarely have 'incidents' but was startled by a very close pass on the Hearse Road (aptly named!) this morning around 10am. Heading east, bright with a wet road and low sun. I think the female driver who passed me very closely simply didn't see me as she didn't seem to change her normal position on the road.
    That's a lethal combination and one that might make me move to the footpath. Fortunately, I'm usually heading west in the early morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭mackeminexile

1) I never made it an excuse for bad driving

2) I ran on that route this morning and its ok for cycling. Yes you might have to stop at a few junctions and understand the frustration there but there is no reason not to use the cycle bridge.

PS The leaves are also on the bus lane where you cycle!

There are nowhere near the leaves there are in the cycle path, I'm on it most mornings. No, I know you didn't but it is an excuse used by plenty and it grates me every time I hear it. The planning of the route taking you off at the Deadmans and over the bridge, through Palmerstown and then down the shared use (and extremely well covered in leaves) path at the Applegreen, then down through on path signage and back on to the road is really bad. Parts are dangerous and I'd guess to a lot of competent and quick cyclists, not worth it. Coming back out of town is worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭mp31

Does anyone have recommendations for a decent, cost-effective (cheap :D) camera? I've been meaning to get one before I need it.
    As am I, and wondering if there are any that would use NIR for night time - thinking of having one facing back as it might be easier to get reg plates etc from that.

Mobius 2 (beware there are Mobius 2 fakes out there). Slim, light, good battery life and records up to 1080p x 60fps. Easy to attach via velcro to the top of your helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭purcela

Cycling up my road this evening and put my right hand out show I was about to turn into my driveway, a taxi behind me decided to ignore that and try to go through me. Luckily he didn't hit me, and after I asked him what was he playing at he roared something that rhymed with ducking banker.

I decided that was not on so took off after him and caught him at traffic lights a minute later. Sharp knock on his passenger window and again asked why he ignored my hand signal, and he had the gall to tell me I hadn't signaled at all before rolling his window back up.

Professional driver...

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭hhmmm?

purcela wrote: »
    Cycling up my road this evening and put my right hand out show I was about to turn into my driveway, a taxi behind me decided to ignore that and try to go through me. Luckily he didn't hit me, and after I asked him what was he playing at he roared something that rhymed with ducking banker.

I decided that was not on so took off after him and caught him at traffic lights a minute later. Sharp knock on his passenger window and again asked why he ignored my hand signal, and he had the gall to tell me I hadn't signaled at all before rolling his window back up.

Professional driver...

Did you look back to see if it was safe before turning across the road?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

hhmmm? wrote: »

That’s called a lifesaver.

I’ve had taxi drivers speed up to stop me moving across after I’ve indicated and made eye contact.

Some people just d!cks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

hhmmm? wrote: »

Mod Note - Just a warning to be very careful with your posts. You've already been warned in another thread on another forum. If you want to contribute to the discussion, please do so constructively. Any more of this carry on and you'll be taking a break from the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

My Daughter was knocked off her bike on Whitfield Road this morning by driver who pulled out in front of her. The driver didn't even stop to see was she ok.
    The same could be said of all the other passerbys. She didn't get his Reg No unfortunately. Sad state of affairs.

Jesus H, is she OK????

EDIT: Any chance of CCTV from a business or something on the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

Badly shaken but she'll be ok . Thanks for asking, much appreciated. Bike wrecked but that's a minor thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

jelutong wrote: »
    My Daughter was knocked off her bike on Whitfield Road this morning by driver who pulled out in front of her. The driver didn't even stop to see was she ok.
    The same could be said of all the other passerbys. She didn't get his Reg No unfortunately. Sad state of affairs.

That’s terrible. Glad to learn she is ok. Some people struggle with the basics of dignity and humanity. When they also drive, it’s appaling what they can do to other people’s lives and think nothing of it. I would be reporting that to the Garda and if there are injuries, and damage, it’s worth taking a punt through MIBI. It may be covered via the uninsured motorist process. (It is a hit and run)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

I was driving the last two days, and all I can say is I was glad I wasn't on the bike. The amount of reckless risk-taking by motorists was beyond belief. Saw a guy yesterday eve, do a U turn in the middle of Fairview. On Monday, a driver (in a 171D) just pulled out of Forrest rd Swords onto the Naul rd, in the dark and wet, because he didn't want to wait. Forced both sides of main rd. to stop. Saw a bad accident at junction of R122/R125 on Monday and more crazy risk taking at same place last night. Even at the exit of the business park, I saw a car overtake a line of bikes at least 50km/h to get through the lights. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Cycling Home last night on the R125 was stressful! Lots of Risk taking/close passes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

which end of the R125 do you cycle? one of the scariest near misses i had was on that road - a bus eireann bus, near the ratoath garden centre.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

jelutong wrote: »
    Badly shaken but she'll be ok . Thanks for asking, much appreciated. Bike wrecked but that's a minor thing.
    In the long run, all that matters is she is OK. I hope it doesn't put her off but I would understand.
    If you are intent on finding the driver, like all people, typically creatures of habit. Likely to be on the same route, give or take a few minutes, that day next week.

Got hit myself last week by a driver undertaking. Swung into the bus lane just behind me and clipped me. I didn't fall but he knocked me side wards, which was a blessing as the following car was even closer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Close one this morning ON the Clontarf cycleway at the Dublin bus garage. One of the staff just didn't look while driving across the cycleway into the staff carpark there, he didn't care.

Speaks to the attitude of some of the Dublin Bus staff, fail to give way as is signposted, nearly knock down a cyclist with two 450lux flashing headlights on a cycleway and then not even acknowledge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

which end of the R125 do you cycle? one of the scariest near misses i had was on that road - a bus eireann bus, near the ratoath garden centre.

Swords to Rolestown. Geez, last night almost EVERY car overtook me into oncoming traffic at a bend! mad stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ferris wrote: »
    Close one this morning ON the Clontarf cycleway at the Dublin bus garage. One of the staff just didn't look while driving across the cycleway into the staff carpark there, he didn't care.

Speaks to the attitude of some of the Dublin Bus staff, fail to give way as is signposted, nearly knock down a cyclist with two 450lux flashing headlights on a cycleway and then not even acknowledge it.

It's an awful "junction". It's not really a junction I know, but visibility is non existent for both coming through there. I would take extreme caution when passing it. I have a Hornit which I blare when I pass through it.

I had a terrible one last night. And the last number of weeks had been just fine for me, so maybe it was due. R106 to Portmarnock, the coast road. Dark but otherwise clear conditions. I was taking the primary position, a car decides to pass while traffic was approaching. On-coming cars were forced to stop dead in order to prevent a head on collision. Horns blaring, he passes close and then speeds off. Not sure if I have the reg, need to check footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

It's an awful "junction". It's not really a junction I know, but visibility is non existent for both coming through there. I would take extreme caution when passing it. I have a Hornit which I blare when I pass through it.

I had a terrible one last night. And the last number of weeks had been just fine for me, so maybe it was due. R106 to Portmarnock, the coast road. Dark but otherwise clear conditions. I was taking the primary position, a car decides to pass while traffic was approaching. On-coming cars were forced to stop dead in order to prevent a head on collision. Horns blaring, he passes close and then speeds off. Not sure if I have the reg, need to check footage.

Agreed the junction design increases the risk here, I also am careful there but its difficult when they don't even see you until you have stopped and are looking in the side window.

Baldoyle coast road is a disaster of a road and totally unsuitable for the traffic that uses it. We should start petitioning TD's on this, somebody is going to get killed and it will be all I told you so's. Its ridiculous, there is loads of land that can be CPO'd around there to sort those routes out and build in cycleways.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that stretch is under investigation for a cycleway already, albeit with at least a few crossings back and forth expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

My cheapo aldi rear camera has revealed a few gems since I started using it Monday. Quality is ok in day time, a bit patch at night.

First evening of use, Close passed by a white van and taxi (no surprise there), white van man barged into ongoing traffic.

Tail gated for about 300 meters along the south quays cycle / bus lane by some tool in a BMW (no surprise there) on Tuesday evening. He eventually had enough of a cyclist using the lane legally and at 30 kph (the speed limit), so did a dramatic swoop out (way in excess of the speed limit) into the traffic lane he should have been in in the first place, again close passed me at speed for good measure.

Tailgated by a motorbike in the cycle lane at Curfew Street and leading to Stephen's Green. Not unusual to get one gun it and speed by you, but this guy's patience was admirable :).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Ferris wrote: »

Does that not have a yield sign for the cyclists to give way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

It has a stop sign for traffic going into the car park. You can see if on google maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    My cheapo aldi rear camera has revealed a few gems since I started using it Monday. Quality is ok in day time, a bit patch at night.

First evening of use, Close passed by a white van and taxi (no surprise there), white van man barged into ongoing traffic.

Tail gated for about 300 meters along the south quays cycle / bus lane by some tool in a BMW (no surprise there) on Tuesday evening. He eventually had enough of a cyclist using the lane legally and at 30 kph (the speed limit), so did a dramatic swoop out (way in excess of the speed limit) into the traffic lane he should have been in in the first place, again close passed me at speed for good measure.

Tailgated by a motorbike in the cycle lane at Curfew Street and leading to Stephen's Green. Not unusual to get one gun it and speed by you, but this guy's patience was admirable :).

It's funny when you watch back, all the things that went on behind you that you knew nothing about!!! This morning I had a lovely young woman pass me with about 1/4 millimeter to spare on the quays (she disagreed - I may be exaggerating slightly but not much!). When I watched back the footage she had been tailgating me for a while, then we were stopped at lights so she rooted in her handbag, took out her lipstick and put it on and then proceeded to almost run me down :rolleyes:. I promised her I'd report it, so I'll keep my word :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

It's funny when you watch back, all the things that went on behind you that you knew nothing about!!! This morning I had a lovely young woman pass me with about 1/4 millimeter to spare on the quays (she disagreed - I may be exaggerating slightly but not much!). When I watched back the footage she had been tailgating me for a while, then we were stopped at lights so she rooted in her handbag, took out her lipstick and put it on and then proceeded to almost run me down :rolleyes:. I promised her I'd report it, so I'll keep my word :).

Its important to look your best when running people over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement