Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Ferris wrote: »
    Close one this morning ON the Clontarf cycleway at the Dublin bus garage. One of the staff just didn't look while driving across the cycleway into the staff carpark there, he didn't care.

Speaks to the attitude of some of the Dublin Bus staff, fail to give way as is signposted, nearly knock down a cyclist with two 450lux flashing headlights on a cycleway and then not even acknowledge it.

This is a poor intersection ; council really needs to cut down the vegetation there. A car pulled out in front of me and the stopped - bang. To be fair, the driver was very good and was most concerned for my welfare. I was ok but was very relieved it was me and not two young kids that I had passed about 10 seconds earlier. If I remember correctly there are four stop signs on the access/egress points of the car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

Richmond St this morning, opposite Bernard Shaw.

Pedestrian decided to change suddenly from strolling straight in middle of path to dash across the road without looking behind him, running straight into me. Luckily was only doing 20kph as a rat runner from Lennox St had just blocked cycle lane a bit further back up the road.
    Anyway hit the ped, his coffee cup exploded all over me and I landed on my elbow, lay there for a bit. Before stumbling up embarrassed and somewhat philosophical. Got the chain back on and cycled rest of way to work, arm movement got worse during day unfortunately.
    Codiene and Difene script from the GP tho! Xray in morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,970 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

stop wrote: »
    Richmond St this morning, opposite Bernard Shaw.

Pedestrian decided to change suddenly from strolling straight in middle of path to dash across the road without looking behind him, running straight into me. Luckily was only doing 20kph as a rat runner from Lennox St had just blocked cycle lane a bit further back up the road.
    Anyway hit the ped, his coffee cup exploded all over me and I landed on my elbow, lay there for a bit. Before stumbling up embarrassed and somewhat philosophical. Got the chain back on and cycled rest of way to work, arm movement got worse during day unfortunately.
    Codiene and Difene script from the GP tho! Xray in morning.

Awful that you're faced with medical bills, hope you're OK. And awful that he wasn't wearing hi-vis, because apparently collisions like this never happen if you're wearing magic hi-vis.

Did he even apologise?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

And awful that he wasn't wearing hi-vis, because apparently collisions like this never happen if you're wearing magic hi-vis.
    ah here, now's not the time for misplaced humour. it's obvious that the real issue is that the pedestrian did not have a licence plate allowing for easy identification.

stop, any issues with scalding? or are the injuries just down to the fall?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Only answer is a coffee tax. For sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

and Coffee cups need to have HiViz on at all times.......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Saw a nasty incident on the quays earlier - this location. https://goo.gl/maps/8RrzbrRajKo

One of the reasons I ignore the bike lane and take center lane of the bus lane. Particularly since I had a similar incident with some tool a while back who advised me "it's up to cyclists to watch out for their own safety" when he cut in front of me and left hooked across the cycle lane to get to a red light turning left.

Girl on a Dublin bike was going straight ahead down the quays - motorist approaches on her right and tips her. I thought surely this was an accident. She let a scream, motorist did the same again. Basically used his car to barge her out of the way. Physically hit her with the car and continued up left. She managed to keep upright, but looked visibly shaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

The 'scourge of pedestrians' need to pay Road Tax and Insurance, Joe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

https://goo.gl/maps/qDcsTMjrj1u

Took the bike lane this morning rather than my usual route of merging with the bus lane just before. Instant regret as I got left hooked by a car, thankfully I was only pottering and managed to avoid getting slammed into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

CramCycle wrote: »

Took the bike lane this morning rather than my usual route of merging with the bus lane just before. Instant regret as I got left hooked by a car, thankfully I was only pottering and managed to avoid getting slammed into the ground.

Gah, never liked that junction. That turn is always busy. Hope you're alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

CramCycle wrote: »

You just reminded me of something I was meant to post here last week.

This is just a heads up for cyclists.

If your heading down Tara st in traffic and the left lane is backed up, look out for cars turning left from the second lane on to Poolbeg st. They are basically crossing a lane of static traffic but not looking out for cyclists.

I only saw this last week as needed to drive to work and was stuck in the left lane and was shocked at what i saw.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Girl on a Dublin bike was going straight ahead down the quays - motorist approaches on her right and tips her. I thought surely this was an accident. She let a scream, motorist did the same again. Basically used his car to barge her out of the way. Physically hit her with the car and continued up left. She managed to keep upright, but looked visibly shaken.

That is shocking. surely that goes beyond a driving offence and becomes assault?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

If your heading down Tara st in traffic and the left lane is backed up, look out for cars turning left from the second lane on to Poolbeg st. They are basically crossing a lane of static traffic but not looking out for cyclists.

It's not just cars, I've seen busses, vans, motorcyclists and cyclists left hooking there too.

At that turn yesterday evening I waited behind and then followed a Dublin bus around that corner. Three PoBs went down the footpath one almost crashing into the side of the bus halfway around the corner at this stage. Never mind the pedestrians waiting to cross :rolleyes:

Aegir wrote: »
    That is shocking. surely that goes beyond a driving offence and becomes assault?

If it was me, I would have taken details and reported it to the Bridewell ,which is just on the corner. But, yeah pretty shocking stuff. Used his car to literally barge her out of the way. Twice.

Looked back at my rear facing camera footage. The same cyclist got left hooked a few seconds later at the next junction by a van.

Stay center lane folks, no matter how much rage and beeping is induces, they won't think a jot about creasing you to get through a green light or hurry to a red. It's about self-preservation and being selfish about your own safety. It's the only way.

I assume you didn't get the initial incident with the car on camera Pinchflat?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Looked back at my rear facing camera footage. The same cyclist got left hooked a few seconds later at the next junction by a van.

fvcking hell, you'd just give up at that point :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Here's hoping the Dublin Bike had sharp paint-gouging edges at a minimum.

I assume you didn't get the initial incident with the car on camera Pinchflat?

No unfortunately not, looking back a the footage the offending car overtakes me in the bus lane, just past the Croppy Acre. I could see the intent, in that he was positioning to move left at the junction to Blackhall Place. I pulled right of the cycle lane, taking primary, then witnessed the incident as he barged across the cycle lane.

Could got back and see if I can lift a reg plate from the footage and report myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Assault at the very least.
    Total scum doing something like that.

Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act, 1997
    13.—(1) A person shall be guilty of an offence who intentionally or recklessly engages in conduct which creates a substantial risk of death or serious harm to another.
    (2) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable—
    (a) on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £1,500 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months or to both, or
    (b) on conviction on indictment, to a fine or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 7 years or to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

marvin80 wrote: »

13.—(1) A person shall be guilty of an offence who intentionally or recklessly engages in conduct which creates a substantial risk of death or serious harm to another.
    (a) on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £1,500 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months or to both, or
    (b) on conviction on indictment, to a fine or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 7 years or to both.

Yeah, you're right, but if you do any of that in a car it's an 'accident'. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

marvin80 wrote: »

(c) in the unlikely event of any follow-up or investigation, to get off completely Scott-free

Looking back at the footage, she didn't have a hi-vis or helmet. Not paying road tax either, Just another obstacle for the ever busy motorist to barge out of the way on their daily commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

No unfortunately not, looking back a the footage the offending car overtakes me in the bus lane, just past the Croppy Acre. I could see the intent, in that he was positioning to move left at the junction to Blackhall Place. I pulled right of the cycle lane, taking primary, then witnessed the incident as he barged across the cycle lane.

Could got back and see if I can lift a reg plate from the footage and report myself.

Please do that. It's criminal assault and you would be a material witness. I don't think you even need the victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Please do that. It's criminal assault and you would be a material witness. I don't think you even need the victim.

yup - surely it'd be recorded on the traffic cameras if you got the gardaí on it quickly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Just back on the bike forgot how dangerous it is. Coming up by omni this evening a bus behind me passes right beside me then moves in on top of me to the point where I had to brake hard or I was getting squashed between the bus and parked cars. He then carries on straight through a red light. Have it on camera , I caught up with him and shouted at him in the window he just looked bemused.

Make a formal complaint and bring the footage to the gardai and maybe it’ll find it’s way to his employer. Might not be as bemused then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I would think so too. Been there and no is the answer I was given. A car is a deadly weapon if used maliciously, but it’s not classed as assault. It’s dangerous driving with intent to cause injury, and prosecuted under the RTA as a motoring offence. Assault is prosecuted under the Criminal Justice Acts - Non Fatal Offences against the Person. The law is an ass! Enforcement of it is even worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Just back on the bike forgot how dangerous it is. Coming up by omni this evening a bus behind me passes right beside me then moves in on top of me to the point where I had to brake hard or I was getting squashed between the bus and parked cars. He then carries on straight through a red light. Have it on camera , I caught up with him and shouted at him in the window he just looked bemused.

Please don't leave him away with it ! That is scandalous!
    The next person on a bike he does that to mightn't be so lucky !

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Club spin yesterday. Approaching the junction at Dunsany, group of 5, travelling 2 abreast.

https://goo.gl/maps/aDoQfzq9xuG2

We're probably about 200 meters or so back from the junction, First car overtakes, it was tight enough. There was a car coming against us which he must have seen, but just about made it. Second car comes behind - I was at the back, so thought surely he's not going to chance it. But no, this spastic was up for a challenge that involved gambling with out lives. So he guns it, speeds past us, the car coming against has to virtually stop to avoid a collision and he squeezed in in front of us. All to get to a junction. At about 12 o'clock on a Sunday.

Second car then proceeds to turn left, following the first car, and over takes up a hill, crossing a solid white line, towards the old N3.

https://goo.gl/maps/LFPEokBC5JS2

Absolutely crazy, dangerous and reckless driving with absultely zero care for those around him. We commented that hopefully it'll just be himself when he kills when his luck runs out, but about 7 or 8 lives were put at needlessly at risk by this absolute tool.

This was about the 10th or 12th close pass / crazy overtake I had personally witnessed in about 3 hours of cycling on a Sunday morning. Something has to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭mackeminexile

Coming in on the N4 and approaching the right turn on to the Croppy Acre at Heuston this morning and took primary coming up to the red light. White van driver decided that he would move in from the right hand lane right on top of me without indicating just to queue at the light. Then kept tapping his ear that he couldn't hear me. Just weird, thankfully all at low speed and there was no car to the left of me so I could avoid him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement