Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Coming in on the N4 and approaching the right turn on to the Croppy Acre at Heuston this morning and took primary coming up to the red light. White van driver decided that he would move in from the right hand lane right on top of me without indicating just to queue at the light. Then kept tapping his ear that he couldn't hear me. Just weird, thankfully all at low speed and there was no car to the left of me so I could avoid him.

Get a camera. Make a rolling camera gesture, you know like that one you used when playing charades? If he can't hear you, let him know you're recording him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Got buzzed this morning in a 24 hr bus lane near the Blue Haven by a Qashqai, lady on the phone. This was at 7am, still completely dark and that pis*y misty rain made visibility pretty bad. It wasn't the closest pass I've had, but she was fairly fast.

About 1km further on, Cyprus Grove Road (I'm on the road as opposed to the off-road cycle track) about 20 cars pass safely and uneventfully, until Mrs Qashqai leans on the horn, speeds past quite close and has to jam on when slipping in front of me due to traffic.

Lastly, she then overtakes me on the roundabout leaving very little room. By the time I catch up to her at the Topaz, she has her window down waiting for me.

"You know you're supposed to be in the cycle lane"
    "For someone who knows so much about lanes, you passed me pretty close in a 24 hour bus lane while on the phone back there"*

Deer in headlights look, window goes back up.

*or something along those lines. I was out of breath and pissed off, especially with what happened on Friday in Rathfarnham. It was likely far less coherent than that :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

<Mod Note> Posts moved to the headphone thread over this a way -- https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91078422

https://imgur.com/1Qg5WbP

Taxi man this morning at Church Street, Dublin, literally skimmed by me. Despite the lane beside him being empty, made no effort to avoid me. Taking this one to Store Street at lunch time.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Pinch Flat wrote: »

Taxi man this morning at Church Street, Dublin, literally skimmed by me. Despite the lane beside him being empty, made no effort to avoid me. Taking this one to Store Street at lunch time.

The worst part is he probably doesn't even think he's done anything wrong because he didn't hit you. Find myself getting really pissed off with the level of anti-cyclist sh!te all over the place since the vigil on Tuesday night, it's the same comments we've heard a million times on road tax, cycle lanes, running red light, cycling two abreast, etc, etc, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Had a punishment pass this evening because the idiot behind me in a dark blue Mazda 6 didn’t like when I moved out to take the lane to turn right at a roundabout. Was well ahead of him too but considering the speed he overtook me he was in a bit of a hurry to get the 100m down the road to his estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,970 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Meanwhile, he's off chatting to legislators about the dreadful cyclist that failed to move over the let him through;

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/senator-martin-conway-cyclists/

Got to love this scutter
    And taxi drivers often told him the biggest hazards they faced on Dublin’s roads were cyclists. And he believed this and other cyclist behaviours needed to be dealt with.

Wait I just realised this Senator is blind, so he can't even see the "problem" first hand , you couldn't make this crap up /shakes head

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he's a county councillor who is in the seanad seemingly through a nominations process. he hasn't exactly been tested in the fire of proper politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Meanwhile, he's off chatting to legislators about the dreadful cyclist that failed to move over the let him through;

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/senator-martin-conway-cyclists/

Agh, yes..A taxi driver could be injured in a split second ....we can’t expose them to such perils :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Really close one yesterday.
    Coming from Howth down towards Sutton Cross. Lad cycling on front of me turned his head to left and blew out an almighty snot rocket. Had to use all my evasion skills to get through it untouched.

*tbf he had no idea I was there

• Registered Users Posts: 28,970 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Agh, yes..A taxi driver could be injured in a split second ....we can’t expose them to such perils :D

I wonder if the taxi driver that I saw on Saturday heading up from Dundrum TC to the M50 with video playing on the phone at the driver's side of the dash is one of those complaining to the Senator about cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I wonder if the taxi driver that I saw on Saturday heading up from Dundrum TC to the M50 with video playing on the phone at the driver's side of the dash is one of those complaining to the Senator about cyclists.

Sidenote: Issues like the above are NOT inside the purview of the Taxi Regulator, makes you wonder why we have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Just a reminder to everyone. I had a punishment pass and a subsequent confrontation. I got in to work and typed out everything, time, date, reg, exactly what happened and was said. Made a statement in the local Garda station and the driver got penalty points and a fine.

I have a feeling he won't do it again and the more we report and make statements the less it will happen.

Stay safe, stay vigilant. Don't let people away with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭mackeminexile

I got a taxi recently from the rank at O'Connell Bridge. As we were going up the keys I had to ask him to turn off the phone playing the racing live on a streaming app. He actually argued that he wasn't watching it for a minute before turning it off. Took his number and reported immediately. I asked him about why he thought it was OK and he had nothing, genuinely non-plussed when I was angry

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭mackeminexile

I got a taxi recently from the rank at O'Connell Bridge. As we were going up the keys I had to ask him to turn off the phone playing the racing live on a streaming app. He actually argued that he wasn't watching it for a minute before turning it off. Took his number and reported immediately. I asked him about why he thought it was OK and he had nothing, genuinely non-plussed when I was angry

I used to get a taxi regularly from Merrion Square to City West for a business meeting. Had to ask them to slow down on more than one occasion heading down the south quays - 70 - 80kph was not uncommon in the 30 kph zone there. They almost took it as an affront to their driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I used to get a taxi regularly from Merrion Square to City West for a business meeting. Had to ask them to slow down on more than one occasion heading down the south quays - 70 - 80kph was not uncommon in the 30 kph zone there. They almost took it as an affront to their driving.

Apparently there's going to be a crackdown on speeding in 30kmh zones between now and Christmas.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

amcalester wrote: »
    Apparently there's going to be a crackdown on speeding in 30kmh zones between now and Christmas.

Ah the annual, let everyone know we will be actually enforcing the law for 6 weeks around the city centre. Undoubtedly they will bring back the ironically named freeflow that done more to impede traffic than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

amcalester wrote: »

One radio show phrased it along the lines of "They're going to enforce the 30kmh limit over Christmas". Rather than redoubling their already strenuous efforts, they are going to make a bit of effort from a baseline of not really bothering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

CramCycle wrote: »
    Ah the annual, let everyone know we will be actually enforcing the law for 6 weeks around the city centre. Undoubtedly they will bring back the ironically named freeflow that done more to impede traffic than anything else.
    check_six wrote: »
    One radio show phrased it along the lines of "They're going to enforce the 30kmh limit over Christmas". Rather than redoubling their already strenuous efforts, they are going to make a bit of effort from a baseline of not really bothering.

Ah lads, you're very cynical.

Jaysus, drivers been made obey the law, whatever next....

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Just once I'd like to see some bus lane enforcement & some penalties handed out. I remember being pulled in for entering a bus lane too early about 11 years ago (a genuine mistake I might add) but since then I've yet to see any Gardaí enforcing the bus lanes. It's beyond a joke, there's absolutely no fear of being caught and for the most part there's no discipline whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    Just once I'd like to see some bus lane enforcement & some penalties handed out. I remember being pulled in for entering a bus lane too early about 11 years ago (a genuine mistake I might add) but since then I've yet to see any Gardaí enforcing the bus lanes. It's beyond a joke, there's absolutely no fear of being caught and for the most part there's no discipline whatsoever.

FWIW, A Garda was enforcing the bus lane at Harold's Cross this morning as I passed. I've no idea if he was handing out FPNs or how long he was doing it for.

I saw the same on Patrick St. last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

crosstownk wrote: »
    FWIW, A Garda was enforcing the bus lane at Harold's Cross this morning as I passed. I've no idea if he was handing out FPNs or how long he was doing it for.

I saw the same on Patrick St. last week.

No way, that's amazing. What time was this at? I passed through Harolds Cross at about 7.15am and the bus lane was solid back to the hospice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Danbo! wrote: »
    No way, that's amazing. What time was this at? I passed through Harolds Cross at about 7.15am and the bus lane was solid back to the hospice.
    I would have passed around 7:50. His motorbike was parked on the path and he was standing between the bus lane and the traffic lane. He was about halfway between the hospice entrance and the bridge.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

N11 has it about twice a week but it is a joke as only one gets stung and the rest pull in, in plenty of time. I did once see them have a guy further back flagging cars and the garda further up was pulling them into the side. Which ironically was creating a tailback in the bus lane but good to see people getting stung.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Danjamin1 wrote: »

You see it every few months on the Swords road too Northbound in the evenings. I not so long ago told a Garda about someone who had been driving all the way up from Drumcondra in the lane until they saw the Garda lights and switched.

I mightn't have but they were far too close to me on more than one occasion, had a minor with them, and where checking their phone quite a lot. They deserved to be pulled in.

It's a waste of resources though. Those gardai would be better served helping stop other sort of criminal behaviour, or specificallty dangerous driving. Cameras etc and some sort of civilian admin role to process the fines, points etc.

Must say I was A real danger to the 4 taxis that managed to block me this morning. I'm really sorry lads. That 180 lumen rear strobe is obviously not up to much. All of this happened within few hundred meters. I've left out the Fastway Courier van that blocked the bike lane on Stephens Green south, the An Post van further on as well as the dozy driver who pulled into the mandatory bike lane outside Loretto without looking.

Pic 1 - double left hooked by a pair of taxis dropping what looked like tourists to St. Patrick's Cathedral. Nearly hit the guy cycling i nfronty of me, I was forced to take evasive action into the main flow of traffic. Blocked a cycle lane on a double yellow.

Pic2 - Left hooked by a third taxi, 50 meters on, this time stopping at the double yellow outside the Cathedral.

Pic 3 - Stationery taxi in the bike lane at Kevin Street

https://imgur.com/a/bP5MG

https://imgur.com/a/hlfum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

check_six wrote: »

....at Christmas, give the gift that keeps giving throughout the year....:D

Maybe they can get Bob Geldof to say a few words along the lines of “there’s people out their speeding, right now, do something about it...”

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement