Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Remember folks, a speed limit is for forever. Not just for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Remember folks, a speed limit is for forever. Not just for Christmas.

or random bank holiday weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Must say I was A real danger to the 4 taxis that managed to block me this morning. I'm really sorry lads. That 180 lumen rear strobe is obviously not up to much. All of this happened within few hundred meters. I've left out the Fastway Courier van that blocked the bike lane on Stephens Green south, the An Post van further on as well as the dozy driver who pulled into the mandatory bike lane outside Loretto without looking.

Pic 1 - double left hooked by a pair of taxis dropping what looked like tourists to St. Patrick's Cathedral. Nearly hit the guy cycling i nfronty of me, I was forced to take evasive action into the main flow of traffic. Blocked a cycle lane on a double yellow.

Pic2 - Left hooked by a third taxi, 50 meters on, this time stopping at the double yellow outside the Cathedral.

Pic 3 - Stationery taxi in the bike lane at Kevin Street

https://imgur.com/a/bP5MG

https://imgur.com/a/hlfum

In fairness it must've been your own fault , I mean they're the professionals so it must've been something you did :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Did your soigneur in your team car alongside not get out and have a word?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Did your soigneur in your team car alongside not get out and have a word?

I never leave the house without my team support car. Handy to have a spare bike or wheel if I have a mechanical on the way to work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Had my worst one in ages this morning.

Entered a roundabout and signaled to take the 3rd exit, as I was passing the second a car entered without giving way and only slammed on when I shouted my displeasure.

Got the usual wave which I assume meant "Sorry, I didn't see you"

I was wearing one of these altura-night-vision-3-waterproof-jacket-red-EV309010-3000-3.jpg

amcalester wrote: »
    Got the usual wave which I assume meant "Sorry, I didn't see you"

More likely to have meant, "Sorry, I thought I could beat you to the gap on the roundabout"

More likely to have meant, "Sorry, I saw you and continued anyway. Sure you're just someone on a bike".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

More likely to have meant, "Sorry, I saw you and continued anyway. Sure you're just someone on a bike".

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAdNAAAAJDQ3ZjhkY2Y1LWYzYzktNGVlYS1hNGU2LWNiMGIyOTUxZGIwNg.jpg

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    More likely to have meant, "Sorry, I thought I could beat you to the gap on the roundabout"

Both of these are quite possible, even probable, but judging by the look on her face during the torrent of abuse that came out of my mouth I'm pretty sure she'll look next time.

I don't normally loose the rag but I really thought I was about to be hit and was already leaning into it.

• Advertisement

in more pleasant news, I had a taxi driver behind me the whole way from the Donnybrook bus garage in to the junction with the Appian way this morning. not once did he come close to my back wheel, not once did he try to pass (even though there were opportunities to do so). just held back a safe distance, even when stopped at red lights. driving a silver Kia Sorrento. bravo that man :)

in more pleasant news, I had a taxi driver behind me the whole way from the Donnybrook bus garage in to the junction with the Appian way this morning. not once did he come close to my back wheel, not once did he try to pass (even though there were opportunities to do so). just held back a safe distance, even when stopped at red lights. driving a silver Kia Sorrento. bravo that man :)

Must be new to the job :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Couple of small ones this morning. Another cyclist pulled into the cycle lane right in front of me without looking forcing me to slam on the brakes, and a car which was parked along the road facing against traffic started to pull out of their spot as I was approaching again forcing me to slam on the brakes.

The junction of Macken St and Pearse St remains a complete and utter cluster**** as well. The right turn from Macken St onto Pearse St needs to be stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Must be new top the job :pac:

Must have been a woman!! :p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

What are your thoughts on this pass?

I stayed in the bus lane because I was taking the right turn 100 metres up the road.

https://imgur.com/71umCM5

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

amcalester wrote: »
    I don't normally loose the rag but I really thought I was about to be hit and was already leaning into it.
    A perfectly normal reaction after a near-death experience

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Kissy Lips wrote: »

I stayed in the bus lane because I was taking the right turn 100 metres up the road.

Idiotic and dangerous but I would not have kept going if I were you. You have a cam and the license plate. I would have just slammed on and reported the driver.

Should have taken primary in bus lane if you're turning up ahead. Bus just thought you were in his way, and acted accordingly. You could have slow down when he overtook as well - put yourself and the passenger in unnecessary danger.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Idiotic and dangerous but I would not have kept going if I were you. You have a cam and the license plate. I would have just slammed on and reported the driver.

agreed, the action by the driver is dangerous and should be reported.

separately you very nearly hit the pedestrian / passenger.

Should have taken primary in bus lane if you're turning up ahead. Bus just thought you were in his way, and acted accordingly. You could have slow down when he overtook as well - put yourself and the passenger in unnecessary danger.

Yeah, I should have stopped but in that split second I thought I will keep going because if I stop the bus driver will believe this is an acceptable way to pass and stop a cyclist.

I also thought about taking the primary but I feel like he would have tried that move even if I was 1 metre further out. Also, it is tough to move accross that road to the right lane while holding up a bus and trying to see what it coming passed it.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I should have stopped but in that split second I thought I will keep going because if I stop the bus driver will believe this is an acceptable way to pass and stop a cyclist.

I also thought about taking the primary but I feel like he would have tried that move even if I was 1 metre further out. Also, it is tough to move accross that road to the right lane while holding up a bus and trying to see what it coming passed it.

that's probably partly a confidence issue - if I decided to use the bus lane, whether I was going straight on or turning right I'd be further out from the kerb than you were there, at least 1-1.5 metres out. it then forces the bus to use at least part of the outside lane when overtaking and it means that if he close passes, you have more room to bail to also.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Also, it is tough to move accross that road to the right lane while holding up a bus and trying to see what it coming passed it.

I don't understand - if you held up the bus, it would have been hard to see traffic overtaking the bus, which would have made it harder to move to the right lane? So you wanted the bus to overtake you, but further out?

that's probably partly a confidence issue - if I decided to use the bus lane, whether I was going straight on or turning right I'd be further out from the kerb than you were there, at least 1-1.5 metres out. it then forces the bus to use at least part of the outside lane when overtaking and it means that if he close passes, you have more room to bail to also.

yep, it is a confidence issue. something about 10 tonnes of meat and metal makes me nervous :o

RayCun wrote: »
    I don't understand - if you held up the bus, it would have been hard to see traffic overtaking the bus, which would have made it harder to move to the right lane? So you wanted the bus to overtake you, but further out?

No, I didn't suggest to use the primary, but your question is not clear. Can you rephrase that?

yep, it is a confidence issue. something about 10 tonnes of meat and metal makes me nervous :o

Then stay behind it. Or when out in front, signal earlier so the bus driver knows why you're there.

Bus driver was a d!ck but if I knew I was turning left 100 meters up the road I wouldn't be in a rush to get in front of the bus.

We often complain about motorists not looking/thinking beyond the immediate obstacle but you're a bit guilty of that yourself on this occasion.

Still a d!ckmove by the bus driver and I'd report it.

No, I didn't suggest to use the primary, but your question is not clear. Can you rephrase that?

I'm trying to understand this

You were turning right up ahead, so you wanted to be in the bus lane rather than on the bike path, understood.

But it sounds like you didn't want to be in front of the bus in the lane, because then you wouldn't be able to see any cars that were overtaking the bus?

So you wanted to be in the bus lane, but you also wanted to be behind the bus?

that's understandable! however hugging the kerb unfortunately seems to invite drivers to pull off manouevres like this that they shouldn't. it's clearly wrong by the driver when this happens but there's a pretty effective way to discourage them, which is to sit that bit further out from the kerb.

RayCun wrote: »
    I'm trying to understand this

You were turning right up ahead, so you wanted to be in the bus lane rather than on the bike path, understood.

But it sounds like you didn't want to be in front of the bus in the lane, because then you wouldn't be able to see any cars that were overtaking the bus?

So you wanted to be in the bus lane, but you also wanted to be behind the
    bus?

I know there is a bus, if it intends on passing and proceeding straight up the road it has loads of room to do this and will have completed the pass long before I get to the right turn.

Or, it intends on stopping at a stop just ahead. In that case the bus should have waited behind and stopped. Once again I reach the right turn with no bus beside me.

I know there is a bus, if it intends on passing and proceeding straight up the road it has loads of room to do this and will have completed the pass long before I get to the right turn.

Or, it intends on stopping at a stop just ahead. In that case the bus should have waited behind and stopped. Once again I reach the right turn with no bus beside me.

It sounds like you are okay with the bus passing you in some circumstances, and so your road positioning is sending out mixed messages. The driver sees you tucked in and thinks you are expecting to be passed.

• Advertisement

I know the junction & what the bus driver did was not on. He completely cut across you only to stop directly in front of you. The bus lane ends shortly after the bus stop and you would have had to move to the right hand lane at that point anyway as you get a lot of cars merging in to the lane you were in to go straight past Ballyboden GAA towards Firhouse. It's definitely worthwhile taking the lane at that point to discourage close passes as you get a lot of private cars entering the lane early along that stretch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement