Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Not sure if this counts as a near miss or not but I got a serious fright last night. Was coming up to Harold’s Cross bridge via Leonard’s Corner a girl wheeled her bike in front of me crossing he road. She saw stopped cars and never even LOOKED for bikes in the bike lane.

I effectively rolled over her bike with mine and something tore my tire. No injuries to her or me but she figured ‘sorry’ was enough and off she went. I’m just glad my carbon fork is intact. Not gonna lie, I don’t care about her bike.

I had to get the missus to collect me. Feel like a prick for shouting at her and the cyclist behind me who told me to leave her alone, but we could’ve both been really hurt, her more than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Beep of the horn from behind, passenger says "you're going to get yourself killed cycling in the middle of the road lane, with parked cars on either side, oncoming traffic, and vehicles stopped at lights up ahead. Yes, cycling in the middle of the lane will result in death, not their aggressive, ignorant driving. Told them to clam down.

To cap it off at Clontarf, another beep of the horn from a DB driver who obviously cannot see the large painted cyclist pictures on the bus lane. Bizarre.

The usual close passes as well but while used to them, the beeping of the horn really irritates me for some reason. Feels more abusive, and deliberate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Had a fall on the quays today after crashing into another cyclist (my husband) who had to brake very suddenly when a woman leapt in front of him on a cycle lane to grab a taxi. Bruised and grazed knee, bruised thigh, but thankfully nothing worse. I'll be giving extra clearance to everything on the quays from now on and taking the lane, even where there are cycle lanes.

To top it off, got roared at a few hours later by a taxi driver very aggressively screaming at me to get out of the middle of the effing road by Trinity, turning onto the road with Pearse station on it. I was in the lane as I did not want to hug the curb and get killed as vehicles turned on top of me and roared this back at him and refused to leave my position.

Kept going until Princes Street, when I had to stop because I couldn't hold back the tears anymore. Got the train home in the end. Not a fun day.

Attol wrote: »
    Had a fall on the quays today after crashing into another cyclist (my husband) who had to brake very suddenly when a woman leapt in front of him on a cycle lane to grab a taxi.
    If there's one thing worse than taxis, it's people who hail taxes with careless abandon, and total disregard for cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Hailing taxis like they should be banned in city centre. Ranks only! I know it’s contentious to say that, but the sudden stops are an unwanted and avoidable hazard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,970 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Are we seeing a trend about taxis?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Santa type charity cycle today in Dundalk for Garda and defence forces benevolent fund, heading out the link road and approaching the first roundabout , a lead car and a large group dressed in Santa gear.
    Midway through the roundabout a merc coupe , nice lady with blonde hair approaches from the left...she looks (for a car) sees nothing and continues on ... I actually had to shout and strike her Bonnett to get attention very very close .
    When she looked up from her phone she hit the brakes..split seconds !!
    At that time the local super, several gardai and a lot of others all cycling in the group were giving some verbal directions to her...not one of us got the registration number as the plate was too dirty ckz..... northern.

To cap it off at Clontarf, another beep of the horn from a DB driver who obviously cannot see the large painted cyclist pictures on the bus lane. Bizarre..
    Should have mentioned the driver was rather wildly gesticulating toward that sorry excuse for a cycle lane/path after Clontarf toward the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What the absolute f'ck (RE the first pass)

Twitter users have expressed their astonishment at the failure of Essex Police to bring charges against a motorist filmed knocking a cyclist off his bike then getting out of his car and assaulting the rider.

http://road.cc/content/news/234102-video-no-charges-against-driver-filmed-knocking-cyclist-bike-and-assaulting-him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

ED E wrote: »

WTF,He should be prison. All I want to do is punch him in his dopey looking face

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Had a gas one there. Fella in right turn only lane wanted to go straight on but had to pull into lane to his left; I was sitting in the right turn box (full green light) with a car behind me. He was frothing at the mouth in the car and wagging his finger at me, must have thought he could go straight on from his lane and that I was sitting on the wrong side of the road. Not really a near miss but fairly funny.

This is the junction by stillorgan village just up from the N11 for anyone that knows it. I was waiting to turn right towards the orchard.

Need to invest in a dash cam to capture this kind of stuff, after a couple of years commuting you'd have a hilarious compilation to look back on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Interesting one the other morning, bit of a non-event, but I've had a few incidents with Dublin Bus over the last few months so thought this was worth a shout.

Look at the overtake, he left me so much room, I was impressed. Then he needs to pull in to stop so indicates and gives a flash of the hazards as an apology for pulling in so soon, and (not visible in video) an apologetic wave when I overtook. Watching it back, I found it weird to think that when someone passes as safely and respectfully as this, it's a notable moment on the commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Danbo! wrote: »
    .... he left me so much room, I was impressed. Then he needs to pull in to stop so indicates and gives a flash of the hazards as an apology for pulling in so soon, and (not visible in video) an apologetic wave when I overtook....
    There are a few DB drivers in our club. It could have been one of them or one of our DB driver Boardsies! :)

(You were tipping along nicely there).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Danbo! wrote: »
    Interesting one the other morning, bit of a non-event, but I've had a few incidents with Dublin Bus over the last few months so thought this was worth a shout.

Look at the overtake, he left me so much room, I was impressed. Then he needs to pull in to stop so indicates and gives a flash of the hazards as an apology for pulling in so soon, and (not visible in video) an apologetic wave when I overtook. Watching it back, I found it weird to think that when someone passes as safely and respectfully as this, it's a notable moment on the commute.

Being devils advocate here, and it’s a difficult to know if he was picking up or dropping off, but if he knew he was stopping or likely to stop, why pass in the first pace?

In fairness, he gave lots of room. I am not a bus driver, but if I knew I was likely to be stopping soon, I would not pass a cyclist. So what if it costs me a few seconds. The obsession with passing is something I don’t understand. Would he do same to slow moving car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭tnegun

Nothing for weeks and then 3 close calls in quick succession today. First was a car attempting a 3 point turn in a drive pulled across my lane, I thought he was pulling into the house so eased off thinking the f'er just left it tight but no he the reverses completely blocking me had to emergency brake and the he starts gesturing for me to pass behind him.

A couple of minutes later progressing through traffic a car came from behind me and pulls along side for a couple of hundred meters, we're approaching left turn no indicator last second she puts down the phone and indicates left again I come to a full stop and she carrys on oblivious.

Lastly down hill towards a set of red lights and it goes green just as I get there so continue through watching for someone jumping a red and yup complete stop again in the middle of the junction to let them through.

All this in the space of about 2k :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Being devils advocate here, and it’s a difficult to know if he was picking up or dropping off, but if he knew he was stopping or likely to stop, why pass in the first pace?

In fairness, he gave lots of room. I am not a bus driver, but if I knew I was likely to be stopping soon, I would not pass a cyclist. So what if it costs me a few seconds. The obsession with passing is something I don’t understand. Would he do same to slow moving car?

I did think the same afterward, and not that it makes it 100% ok, but I have a feeling he may have misjudged my speed. Had the wind behind so was doing a decent pace from zero at the lights at sundrive and was only getting up to pace as he was passing. Yes you could argue that he should have better judged my speed, difficult as I was still accelerating when he would have begun the overtake, but at the same time he didn't come right in on top of me and jam on, the bus stop was still a distance ahead.

Either way, I found it interesting that what should be common stood out to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Nothing I'd really class as a near miss this morning but I noticed how quickly people approach junctions & roundabouts looking out for cars only. Had a guy almost enter a roundabout on top of me as he was looking past me this morning and another fella came to a sharp stop at a slip road once he copped me in front of him. No surprise there's so many minor accidents on the road.

Not only noticeable on the bike either, myself & my wife were rear ended yesterday in the car at a slip road as the car behind was focused on the traffic on the primary road & didn't realise we hadn't moved from in front of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I had a fella tailgait me in the estate this morning, while I had my son on the bike with me. he had gone against me a minute earlier to do a U turn at a wide part of the road in a cul de sac and I made eye contact with him as he did, it's not a wide road.
    so he knew that I had a child on the bike (on a weeride, not a rear seat), I took primary as there wasn't room to safely pass me as he came up behind me and he sat right on my rear wheel until I turned off.

it really p1ssed me off far more than your run of the mill aggression / bad driving :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭mp31

A few weeks ago, I was cycling through Dunboyne on my way to work and a car drives up really close behind me and starts beeping their horn. There are cars coming the other way and my side of the road is wide enough for a car or a cyclist and not both so I take the primary position. Driver decides to drive even close and continues blaring their horn.
    About 30 meters further along the road widens out, the car overtakes and the passenger opens their window, shouts something at me. I react by telling them to f*ck off loudly a few times and continue onto work.
    I report this to the local garda and send on the footage to them with the number plate of the vehicle.
    This morning, a garda rings me and tells me that if I make a statement against the other driver, the Garda may prosecute them BUT they may also decide to prosecute me for breach of the peace because I swore at the car as it overtook :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,970 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

mp31 wrote: »
    I report this to the local garda and send on the footage to them with the number plate of the vehicle.
    This morning, a garda rings me and tells me that if I make a statement against the other driver, the Garda may prosecute them BUT they may also decide to prosecute me for breach of the peace because I swore at the car as it overtook :mad::mad::mad:

I had this response once from the Gardai too. It could be done with the best of intentions, to give you clear warning of an unlikely but theoretically possible scenario. Or, it could be done to basically discourage you from reporting the matter to reduce their workload.

As it happened, on that occasion, I hadn't actually sworn and I was able to explain this to the guard with video. Yer man got €80 fine plus penalty points for using his phone while driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

A few weeks ago, I was cycling through Dunboyne on my way to work and a car drives up really close behind me and starts beeping their horn. There are cars coming the other way and my side of the road is wide enough for a car or a cyclist and not both so I take the primary position. Driver decides to drive even close and continues blaring their horn.
    About 30 meters further along the road widens out, the car overtakes and the passenger opens their window, shouts something at me. I react by telling them to f*ck off loudly a few times and continue onto work.

What was the tone of the Garda. As in thats clearly a mental situation to put you in - was he acknowledging that, or was he was saying 'if you carry on with this nonsense, then you might be prosecuted also'....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I've a new approach I'm trialing. Instead of shouting back, act like you can't hear the person. Act like you're trying really hard to hear them but can't quite make out what they're saying. People get caught up in trying to get their noise across so it leaves them more frustrated while still not escalating the situation further.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

I had this response once from the Gardai too. It could be done with the best of intentions, to give you clear warning of an unlikely but theoretically possible scenario. Or, it could be done to basically discourage you from reporting the matter to reduce their workload.

The cynic in me would suggest that the latter is the case alright. Hoping you'd bog off and not bother them. .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

xckjoo wrote: »
    so it leaves them more frustrated while still not escalating the situation further.

Think I mentioned it earlier on here, but I did that to a truck driver who went mad pointing to the left of the road.

We passed a pub at which point I changed from the "hand to ear and shrug" to "Oh want to go for a pint drink motion". :P

BUT they may also decide to prosecute me for breach of the peace because I swore at the car as it overtook :mad::mad::mad:
    Aggressively shouting abuse at someone walking down the street is potentially a breach of the peace.

On what planet is shouting aggressively at someone putting your life in imminent danger a breach of the peace?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

rushfan wrote: »
    The cynic in me would suggest that the latter is the case alright. Hoping you'd bog off and not bother them. .

I would think that is a safe enough assumption.
    I think they have to prove there is intent to start a row.
    As opposed to the gentle reminder to check Road Traffic Legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

RasTa wrote: »

That's what happens when you run red lights! I bet he hasn't run a red light since!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

RasTa wrote: »

Not really a near miss:D

But yeah, what an idiot. I wonder if any damage was done to the car and if the cyclist offered to pay for it.

Or, and I don't think this should be the case, could the taxi driver be found at fault for proceeding when it wasn't clear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

amcalester wrote: »
    Not really a near miss:D

But yeah, what an idiot. I wonder if any damage was done to the car and if the cyclist offered to pay for it.

Or, and I don't think this should be the case, could the taxi driver be found at fault for proceeding when it wasn't clear?

I doubt it...he had a green light and he would have to move forward to see if anything was coming down the hill to his right. If i was the taxi driver and i was accused of that, I'd fight it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement