Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Sorry if this is off-topic and the wrong place to bring it up, but I've been on the lookout for a camera for my bike and Aldi have a HD Action Cam for €40 from Thursday. Anyone have any feedback on it? It's only 720p, but don't think that'll be a big issue. Low light conditions would be my main worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Was taking the bus last week, as no traffic, and using the Dublin Bikes...
    Heading on Custom House Quay (Westbound) - heard a lorry coming behind me fast as I approached the metal things (? Cranes?!) - decides to overtake me under these metals things - pushed me to the left of those double yellows - about 20cm away from me...

Here...

Cycled slowly beside him as i overtook him then when he was stopped at the lights 50m up the road - "What are you looking at" - "You, you f***ing clown" etc...
    Can safely say, in 2+ years of commuting - it's the most terrified I've been.

Your safer in the cycle lane there, i know it ends briefly before the bridge, but I always believe they forgot to continue it over the wood as it starts asap on the other side!!

Its a not a nice road with the trucks and buses!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Pity some cyclists in Phoenix Park don't take that attitude to kids cycling in the cycle lane there:mad:

Isn't the advice that under 12 shouldn't be cycling on the road unaccompanied?

I don't think that means they should cycle on the path, more that they shouldn't be cycling unless accompanied by an adult!

I'd hate the see Learner drivers use the same logic...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Was taking the bus last week, as no traffic, and using the Dublin Bikes...
    Heading on Custom House Quay (Westbound) - heard a lorry coming behind me fast as I approached the metal things (? Cranes?!) - decides to overtake me under these metals things - pushed me to the left of those double yellows - about 20cm away from me...

Here...

Cycled slowly beside him as i overtook him then when he was stopped at the lights 50m up the road - "What are you looking at" - "You, you f***ing clown" etc...
    Can safely say, in 2+ years of commuting - it's the most terrified I've been.

This exact spot has come up before (on this thread I think) and there have been incidents here. Shocking place to try and overtake especially in a Truck. I go through here on occasion and have learned taking primary position is the best option. A sign saying no overtaking cyclists would be a nice addition but prob more chance of a dismount sign getting erected.

GreeBo wrote: »

I don't think that means they should cycle on the path, more that they shouldn't be cycling unless accompanied by an adult!

I never said anything about a path or anything you said above:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

xckjoo wrote: »
    Sorry if this is off-topic and the wrong place to bring it up, but I've been on the lookout for a camera for my bike and Aldi have a HD Action Cam for €40 from Thursday. Anyone have any feedback on it? It's only 720p, but don't think that'll be a big issue. Low light conditions would be my main worry.

I bought one last year - heap of.. and brought it back.

Wasn't the only one, few others brought theirs back on the same day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

GreeBo wrote: »

I am pretty sure both a former minister of transport and the gardai have stated that while technically illegal, they were not going to prosecute children for cycling on the pavement. i.e. making it there go to position.

Rightly so, while some U12s are more competent on the road than many adults, both as pedestrians and cyclists, it does not excuse the fact that many may not have the life experience to think through a situation as it arises or they may make the error of assuming that all those people in motor vehicles know what they are doing and will behave predictably.

Are you suggesting we should prosecute school going children who are unaccompanied? Plenty of kids around my area walk and cycle to school unaccompanied, are you saying they should not be allowed or should be on the roads.

Until the Gardai have enough resources to tackle dangerous driving in rush hour traffic, then they have come up with a reasonable, intermediate solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,971 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I never said anything about a path or anything you said above:eek:

So what is your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

CramCycle wrote: »
    I am pretty sure both a former minister of transport and the gardai have stated that while technically illegal, they were not going to prosecute children for cycling on the pavement. i.e. making it there go to position.

Rightly so, while some U12s are more competent on the road than many adults, both as pedestrians and cyclists, it does not excuse the fact that many may not have the life experience to think through a situation as it arises or they may make the error of assuming that all those people in motor vehicles know what they are doing and will behave predictably.

Are you suggesting we should prosecute school going children who are unaccompanied? Plenty of kids around my area walk and cycle to school unaccompanied, are you saying they should not be allowed or should be on the roads.

Until the Gardai have enough resources to tackle dangerous driving in rush hour traffic, then they have come up with a reasonable, intermediate solution.

Personally I don't have much of an issue with it, though I do remember being a pretty irresponsible 12 year old on a bike, not sure I'd like my infirm parent to be sharing a path with me back then.

I dont think its that terrible to say that they should probably be walking rather than cycling unaccompanied on paths.

What I am saying is that rather than encourage people to break an incorrect law, the law should be changed, otherwise, whats the point?

So what is your point?

Maybe read my original post

"Pity some cyclists in Phoenix Park don't take that attitude to kids cycling in the cycle lane there"

Often brought my kids to cycle in phoenix park and you get some cyclists in the cycle lane having a go at them while they perfectly entitled to be there. They weren't blocking the cycle lane or anything!

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »

Well a minister did try this "http://irishcycle.com/2015/01/21/no-exemption-for-children-cycling-on-footpaths-says-minister-ahead-of-new-fines/" which was crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

You will get more replies /info if you start a separate thread. It will get lost here now the Second half of near miss season has started.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

this thread is your friend

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

cycled into clontarf and back to baldoyle. had a close-ish call with an oblivious RTE reporter, who hard parked his crew van and car on the path at the pedestrian lights near bull island and st annes, as he walked out into the middle of the cycle track from behind the van and stopped to look off into the distance.

on the way back it got too windy so at the kilbarrack road bit i transferred to the road (track is significantly narrower there and no protection from going over the very low wall in a gust) anyway its only 1km or so from there to the elphin and its the middle of the day so no motorist will bother me? nope... nice lady beeped , swerved at me and gesticulated to let me know that i should back on tthe track (by leaping the wall i assume). didnt get the reg and couldnt catch her due to said wind :(

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭screw2loose

Almost got taken out by a lovely an post worker yesterday opposite the barge pub.

Came across the junction and the van was pulled up outside the Health insurance authority building fully blocking the cycle lane, as the van was there before i came across the junction I wasn't expecting the door to swing open, but sure enough as i came around the van the door opens full pelt and out he steps. I had to swerve to avoid him, thank god there wasn't a car beside me otherwise it would have been a different situation.

pulled over and asked him if he bothered to check his mirror before he opened the door, but he couldn't have been less bothered and wouldn't engage with me at all. took the reg and will be on to an post today about it. very angry about it to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Almost got taken out by a lovely an post worker yesterday opposite the barge pub.

Came across the junction and the van was pulled up outside the Health insurance authority building fully blocking the cycle lane, as the van was there before i came across the junction I wasn't expecting the door to swing open, but sure enough as i came around the van the door opens full pelt and out he steps. I had to swerve to avoid him, thank god there wasn't a car beside me otherwise it would have been a different situation.

pulled over and asked him if he bothered to check his mirror before he opened the door, but he couldn't have been less bothered and wouldn't engage with me at all. took the reg and will be on to an post today about it. very angry about it to say the least.

Always, always always overtake with more than a full doors width. Over a meter I'd say. Take it as a lesson learned, I doubt anything would come of it even if the gardai were involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭screw2loose

Always, always always overtake with more than a full doors width. Over a meter I'd say. Take it as a lesson learned, I doubt anything would come of it even if the gardai were involved.

I usually would if i have seen anyone pull in, but yes in future this will be the way of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

i've had run-ins with an post van drivers on several occasions. i find it somewhat surprising given the number of postmen that deliver the mail by bicycle but then again i'm not sure it ever factors into their thinking / behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

i've had run-ins with an post van drivers on several occasions. i find it somewhat surprising given the number of postmen that deliver the mail by bicycle but then again i'm not sure it ever factors into their thinking / behaviour.
    Weirdly I've noticed that too recently. Also thought it was weird as some of them have to cycle too so would be aware of bad behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Very Close call last night on the Blackglen Road heading towards Lamb Doyles around 6:30 here -

27834202689_1c2d7ced65_z.jpg

A driver in an SUV failed to yield and drove right out onto the junction turning left and into me. I was forced onto the wrong side of the road to avoid going under his wheels.

I had one Lezyne Super Drive XL at 500 lumens, a smaller Lezyne Micro and a Flashing Zecto Drive on the front of my bike.

On the back I had two Zectos.

On top of that my DHB bib longs have reflective panels on both legs, my winter Defend jersey has reflective trims and my neck buff and gloves have reflective strips.

In other words I was light up like a bloody Christmas tree and it made no difference at all because some idiots will never pause and look at a junction.

Stay safe folks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

daragh_ wrote: »
    Very Close call last night on the Blackglen Road heading towards Lamb Doyles around 6:30 here -

27834202689_1c2d7ced65_z.jpg

A driver in an SUV failed to yield and drove right out onto the junction turning left and into me. I was forced onto the wrong side of the road to avoid going under his wheels.

I had one Lezyne Super Drive XL at 500 lumens, a smaller Lezyne Micro and a Flashing Zecto Drive on the front of my bike.

On the back I had two Zectos.

On top of that my DHB bib longs have reflective panels on both legs, my winter Defend jersey has reflective trims and my neck buff and gloves have reflective strips.

In other words I was light up like a bloody Christmas tree and it made no difference at all because some idiots will never pause and look at a junction.

Stay safe folks.

But were you wearing a helmet? :D

Big wide junction like that, could they have looked passed you down the road? I find some distracted drivers, especially in the dark, will just scan for headlights quickly and then continue on. I find the closer you are to them and the wider the junction, the worse it is. I mean, you can’t really do any better visibility wise than the gear you’ve got :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Danbo! wrote: »

Big wide junction like that, could they have looked passed you down the road? I find some distracted drivers, especially in the dark, will just scan for headlights quickly and then continue on. I find the closer you are to them and the wider the junction, the worse it is. I mean, you can’t really do any better visibility wise than the gear you’ve got :(

:D

There was plenty of time to scan the junction and see me so I think you might be right.

I caught up with him at the lights later and did the usual WTF? His 'you had no lights on' argument trailed off when he looked out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

As a nation we appear to want to get to our destination before we leave.
    Tonight was a prime example. Pea souper fog on the north side and private cars going up bus lanes at totally inappropriate speed for the conditions. Had 2 close passes on malahide road as usual one was white van man.

Cyclists also idiots tonight met 2 young cyclists in Marino no lights no helmets dark clothing an accident waiting to happen.
    When will we grow up??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

RGS wrote: »
    As a nation we appear to want to get to our destination before we leave.
    Tonight was a prime example. Pea souper fog on the north side and private cars going up bus lanes at totally inappropriate speed for the conditions. Had 2 close passes on malahide road as usual one was white van man.

Cyclists also idiots tonight met 2 young cyclists in Marino no lights no helmets dark clothing an accident waiting to happen.
    When will we grow up??

It was rough at this evening. I went up the north Dublin coast and visibility had to be around 20M or so. I saw plenty of cyclists without lights, but also a number of cars on the road without lights too. Idiots, idiots everywhere.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

jelutong wrote: »
    My Daughter was knocked off her bike on Whitfield Road this morning by driver who pulled out in front of her. The driver didn't even stop to see was she ok.
    The same could be said of all the other passerbys. She didn't get his Reg No unfortunately. Sad state of affairs.
    It is sad. I have stopped loads of time for people but the few times I have fallen, it is rare enough someone would stop. Feel off my bike a year ago after hitting grease two yearsago, van behind me just drove around me, looked at me lying there and then drove off. Thankfully one pedestrian ran from 100m away across the road to make sure I was OK.

Hope she is OK, her health is more important than catching the driver so focus on that, if she is OK, at least it is only a minor loss.
    It was rough at this evening. I went up the north Dublin coast and visibility had to be around 20M or so. I saw plenty of cyclists without lights, but also a number of cars on the road without lights too. Idiots, idiots everywhere.
    I was beside a car, and started pointing at my light, then spun it round and started pointing at theirs, oblivious, finally their passenger gave me a dirty look and a "whats your problem" look. I then shouted (in a polite voice), your lights are not on. Cue sheepish looks and squirming before lights went on, and the drove off, looking anywhere but in my direction.

Driving for work in the midland earlier today, about 50m visibility, you could make out the fuzz of lights at about 80m, but the ones without lights were just creepy 9 and dangerous, occasionally you would hear a beep or see mad flashing of lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭SteM

Today was my first day back on the bike since Christmas commuting from the city centre to Tallaght. I couldn't get over the amount of aggressive drivers and close passers out tonight through Rathmines and along by Bushy Park. One lady may have mistaken me for someone else but she kept giving me the finger and screaming at me every time I passed her by.

I think may go back onto the bus until the end of February, it felt nasty out there tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Just for a bit of "balance"... no close passes for me this evening.

I could be wrong, but I think it's because I use a very bright rear light. I did see a few people cycling with pathetic rear lights, dark clothes etc.

https://www.google.ie/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwiOhveUss7YAhWivO0KHTmwC6wYABAKGgJkZw&sig=AOD64_3VOe7i80wWKiLkEhNmDg3Nq6KYcA&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwj34PGUss7YAhXsL8AKHXWMCqAQwg8IJA&adurl=

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Danbo! wrote: »

No they pull in and out of there in daylight too without looking. In too much of a hurry to get to the nearly always red lights at Marley or Lambs Cross. Inconsiderate!

Guy turned right into a housing estate in front of me tonight while I was on the on pavement cycle lane crossing the entrance to his estate . Came down the hill out of nowhere fast and totally cut me off and had to drop anchor. I caught the reg, followed into the estate and found the car parked up.
    Felt all neighbourly so I called in and had a word! First he denies and then was going very fast (uphill) and then it’s I am sorry...I am a cyclist too. I said that’s makes it worse. You cut the corner and forced me to stop because 2 /3 secs of your life is potentially worth more than my life. Typical reaction, but he seemed genuinely sorry by the end of our chat.

I will look at footage again and if I think it’s clear he seen me but went anyway I will call to the local station. It’s just not on to be nearly taken out while legitimately and safely using cycle infastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

2 reasons that I do this with a big hand signal and take up the whole road.

1. I'm out of the door zone.
    2. It might do a small bit to highlight to motorists around me the sh1te that we have to put up with when people park in cycle lanes or on paths etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... - heard a lorry coming behind me fast as I approached the metal things (? Cranes?!) - decides to overtake me under these metals things .....
    They are bridges which can be raised to allow vessels to access George's Dock.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement