Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

I've had a few close shaves there. I usually ride in the middle of the left hand lane there to make everyone use the right hand one. I tend to move more left as I approach that first roundabout as the road surface isn't the best

From the phased turn off from Lusk/Rush to the roundabout is a stretch of road that I definitely don't enjoy one bit, heading south that is. Always feel a bit safer though when I get to the second roundabout at the Tesco distribution centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Had a Dublin Bus drive into the cycle lane alongside me as he was pulling into a bus stop on Drumcondra Road, Saturday afternoon.

This sort of thing really freaks me out as really they just appear out of nowhere - you are cycling along and in split second there is a bus alongside 18 inches away.

So I got up on the footpath, and since the bus was stopped at the Stop, I was able to let the driver have it.

Curious defence - I said, you drove into a cycle lane when you were overtaking me - his comeback was 'its in a bus lane'......one of those ones where you are just left going 'what am I missing here' and then the bus pulls off before you can say anything else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Prime Time seeking footage showing conditions for cycling in Ireland

http://irishcycle.com/2018/01/15/prime-time-seeking-footage-showing-conditions-for-cycling-in-ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

http://irishcycle.com/2018/01/15/prime-time-seeking-footage-showing-conditions-for-cycling-in-ireland

Curious timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

i might send them on footage of the cyclist being knocked down at Leeson st bridge, seeing that the Gardaí haven't been bothered calling me back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hmm; i wonder if they'd be willing to use it without the permission of the cyclist depicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I was thinking on the way home that all cyclists with cameras should bring every incident to the attention of AGS as a reply for being subjected to ridicule and hate speak on national TV. I normally have at least one per day so if that’s reflective we can make white a statement as to what is regularally happening right across the country.

It’s time to let the establishment know just how little control or influence they have on the roads with the light touch /cut back ravaged regulation/enforcement that has existed these past 15 years or so. We don’t need to look far back to know where light touch got us in the financial sector. Lives are at stake now and all the government can do is announce plans but implement nothing to change behaviour and apply no additional resources to improve safety on the road.

It’s a joke, but not a funny one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Not a near miss but was cycling up Richmond St south over Portobello bridge yesterday evening in the lashings of rain, two cars ahead of me decided to drive up the cycle lane to get to the left turn lane at the bridge! Luckily no cyclists were in the lane ahead of them but potentially very dangerous. Might be better if the lane had different colour tarmac to fully differentiate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Not a near miss but was cycling up Richmond St south over Portobello bridge yesterday evening in the lashings of rain, two cars ahead of me decided to drive up the cycle lane to get to the left turn lane at the bridge! Luckily no cyclists were in the lane ahead of them but potentially very dangerous. Might be better if the lane had different colour tarmac to fully differentiate it.

I believe motorists are allowed to drive in that lane since it has dashed lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I've had a few close shaves there. I usually ride in the middle of the left hand lane there to make everyone use the right hand one. ..
    I usually take the lane there also but, on the morning in question, I had my head down battling a strong headwind and must have veered towards the left. As well as the headwind, it was dark and wet and I didn't hear the car approaching from behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

GreeBo wrote: »
    I believe motorists are allowed to drive in that lane since it has dashed lines?

Don't think it's dashed where they entered it. Will look again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,971 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

i might send them on footage of the cyclist being knocked down at Leeson st bridge, seeing that the Gardaí haven't been bothered calling me back.

They'll be delighted to highlight the fact that Gardai never called you back.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    I was thinking on the way home that all cyclists with cameras should bring every incident to the attention of AGS as a reply for being subjected to ridicule and hate speak on national TV. I normally have at least one per day so if that’s reflective we can make white a statement as to what is regularally happening right across the country.

It’s time to let the establishment know just how little control or influence they have on the roads with the light touch /cut back ravaged regulation/enforcement that has existed these past 15 years or so. We don’t need to look far back to know where light touch got us in the financial sector. Lives are at stake now and all the government can do is announce plans but implement nothing to change behaviour and apply no additional resources to improve safety on the road.

It’s a joke, but not a funny one.

Been there, done that - not much impact;

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2017/12/19/saddle-creek/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

6.30 pm this evening leaving work on central dublin. Temperature just above freezing and vicinity not great due to snow shower

Incident 1 - undertaken by some clown at (I’m guessing) 60 - 70 kph inside the new bike lane at the south quays. He goes inside then darted in front of me to avoid a parked bus.

Incident 2 - same lane, further on. Tailgated by some clown in a white van. 30 kph lane with massive bikes painted on it. Tooting his horn. Eh use the normal lane you spa. Eventually did a dramatic overtake just as we got to parliament street junction. Verbal abuse and horn as he passed.

Incident 3 - just in the approach to my house. Arm out, Indicating approaching traffic calming to turn right across a mini roundabout. But no - dikchead behind me decides to overtake me in his poxy people carrier, squeezing between me and the central reservation of the traffic calming. All to save oh about 3 seconds.

All the above recorded on my camera, just wondering which one to bring to the guards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    6.30 pm this evening leaving work on central dublin. Temperature just above freezing and vicinity not great due to snow shower

Incident 1 - undertaken by some clown at (I’m guessing) 60 - 70 kph inside the new bike lane at the south quays. He goes inside then darted in front of me to avoid a parked bus.

Incident 2 - same lane, further on. Tailgated by some clown in a white van. 30 kph lane with massive bikes painted on it. Tooting his horn. Eh use the normal lane you spa. Eventually did a dramatic overtake just as we got to parliament street junction. Verbal abuse and horn as he passed.

Incident 3 - just in the approach to my house. Arm out, Indicating approaching traffic calming to turn right across a mini roundabout. But no - dikchead behind me decides to overtake me in his poxy people carrier, squeezing between me and the central reservation of the traffic calming. All to save oh about 3 seconds.

All the above recorded on my camera, just wondering which one to bring to the guards?

Incident 1 seems the most rule-breaky to me :D and would be reporting that. Or show all 3 to the gardai. If you get a decent one that would want to pursue any, they may pursue them all.

I didn't have winter gear at all today so I was the lunatic wearing shorts in that blizzard. Very surprised by the patience and wide overtakes I got the whole way home tonight.

Danbo! wrote: »
    Incident 1 seems the most rule-breaky to me :D and would be reporting that. Or show all 3 to the gardai. If you get a decent one that would want to pursue any, they may pursue them all.

I didn't have winter gear at all today so I was the lunatic wearing shorts in that blizzard. Very surprised by the patience and wide overtakes I got the whole way home tonight.

Think I was beside you at heuston? Fair play. Kudos for the shorts....

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Sure didn't your helmet and hi-viz keep you safe:rolleyes:

Be sure to bring another copy to Richard Grogan, solicitor, as heard on the Hard Shoulder with Ivan Yates this evening. He's apparently an expert on what cyclists should do to protect themselves, he knows that lights, hemets and hi-viz are your "life-savers" and says you should be mindful about your duties and not your rights. Oh and motorists don't set out to do you harm :rolleyes:

Maybe I've strayed into the journalism and cycling thread but thought you should know

Sure didn't your helmet and hi-viz keep you safe:rolleyes:

Be sure to bring another copy to Richard Grogan, solicitor, as heard on the Hard Shoulder with Ivan Yates this evening. He's apparently an expert on what cyclists should do to protect themselves, he knows that lights, hemets and hi-viz are your "life-savers" and says you should be mindful about your duties and not your rights. Oh and motorists don't set out to do you harm :rolleyes:

Maybe I've strayed into the journalism and cycling thread but thought you should know

Cheers for that. Just paid my “road tax” online last night, so that should keep me even safer, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Cheers for that. Just paid my “road tax” online last night, so that should keep me even safer, no?

Def! Extra layer of protection! Now you just need to tug your forelock:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Think I was beside you at heuston? Fair play. Kudos for the shorts....

Not me, I head out of town via clanbrassil. Good to know there was someone else out there suffering in shorts tho :)

Found a company online that do embroidered circular patches with your own design. Was tempted to get my ‘road’ tax disc embroidered and put it on my cycling bag but it might be a bit much. Pricey too unless ordering in bulk.

• Advertisement

Danbo! wrote: »
    Found a company online that do embroidered circular patches with your own design. Was tempted to get my ‘road’ tax disc embroidered and put it on my cycling bag but it might be a bit much. Pricey too unless ordering in bulk.
    I went looking for a hi-vis top that had a perspex A3 wallet at the back, so I could swap my own messages in and out as required. I couldn't find one - but if anyone else is aware of such a thing.

that only entitles you to drive online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I went looking for a hi-vis top that had a perspex A3 wallet at the back, so I could swap my own messages in and out as required. I couldn't find one - but if anyone else is aware of such a thing.

We have them in the ambulance service , don't know where you would get them.

You could just upload a scan of your tax disc to these guys

https://www.hivis.co.uk/hi-visibility/hi-vis-vests/printed-hi-vis-vests.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Newspaper sellers working the traffic used to have them, maybe INM have a few old ones..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

From this morning, essentially just trying to run me over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

From this morning, essentially just trying to run me over.

What an idiotic manoeuvre. When all else fails lets beep the cyclist to try and show everyone around that the cyclist is at fault when in fact all they are doing is showing what a useless driver they are. I'd really love to know what goes through peoples minds when they do stuff like this(my guess would be nothing). P.S. I like your siren:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Solid white line - Check
    Approaching red light - Check
    Traffic stopped ahead - Check

That's the trifecta, what does s/he win?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

What an idiotic manoeuvre. When all else fails lets beep the cyclist to try and show everyone around that the cyclist is at fault when in fact all they are doing is showing what a useless driver they are. I'd really love to know what goes through peoples minds when they do stuff like this(my guess would be nothing). P.S. I like your siren:)

My Guess is..."Bloody arrogant cyclists!...think they own the bloody road!, why don't they pay road tax like the rest of us!" etc. etc.

Typical of the lazy and idiotic driving all too prevalent these days.

Alternative view - you were holding him/ her up :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

07Lapierre wrote: »
    My Guess is..."Bloody arrogant cyclists!...think they own the bloody road!, why don't they pay road tax like the rest of us!" etc. etc.

I don't remember what she was shouting at me, a lot of the normal pointing to the path and raised hands. No doubt she's in work talking about this arrogant cyclist banging on her bonnet this morning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement