Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I don't remember what she was shouting at me, a lot of the normal pointing to the path and raised hands. No doubt she's in work talking about this arrogant cyclist banging on her bonnet this morning.

Is this her?

img_8963.jpg?resize=650%2C366

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I don't remember what she was shouting at me, a lot of the normal pointing to the path and raised hands. No doubt she's in work talking about this arrogant cyclist banging on her bonnet this morning.

Worst part about the shouting and gesticulating is she is likely convinced she is in the right here. She'll be in work and I'm sure it'll be "He was all over the road", etc.

Not sure how this can be fixed, I'm sure we all experience these pointless need-to-get-to-the-red-light overtakes daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

From this morning, essentially just trying to run me over.
    Is that a safety beeper noise thingy you have for scenarios like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

amcalester wrote: »
    Solid white line - Check
    Approaching red light - Check
    Traffic stopped ahead - Check

That's the trifecta, what does s/he win?

A darwin award

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

axer wrote: »
    Is that a safety beeper noise thingy you have for scenarios like that?

It's one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hornit-dB140-V2-Worlds-Loudest/dp/B006TDEV20/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1516194023&sr=8-3&keywords=hornit

I have it a couple of months now, and it can be useful for situations like these. Although this person knew exactly where I was, so it was never going to change anything. But it does make people back off, or look at you if they are pulling out in front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

2 "professional drivers" within the space of a few minutes
    am i expecting too much or are these passes too close?

9dAL59A.png

FSYSBdp.png

site_owner wrote: »
    2 "professional drivers" within the space of a few minutes
    am i expecting too much or are these passes too close?

"The 1.5m passing law is completely unenforceable"

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Danbo! wrote: »
    "The 1.5m passing law is completely unenforceable"

:rolleyes:

site_owner should send those two pics into that gobsh*te solicitor on Ivan Yates yesterday. I bet he'd take that case!

p.s. Yes they are too close and no, you are not expecting too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

They’re taxis though. Always right. And you were probably all over the road (in their eyes)

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

Had a nasty enough incident last week on my commute home. I was not far from my house when I approach a roundabout, it is one of those flat ones. It was at Old County and Kildare roads for those that know Crumlin. I was planning to turn right at the roundabout and had indicated so as I was aware of a car behind me. There was a steady stream of cars approaching from the right leaving no opportunity to get on the roundabout. Foolishly I became conscious that I was holding up the traffic behind and was eager to move. But then the car behind began to "rev", I can't be sure if they inched closer to me but it really felt like it.
    I turned to the car behind with the intention of giving "what are ya playing at face" but between the helmet and bandanna across my mouth & nose I probably failed to accomplish this.
    Anyhow the traffic from the right ceased and I proceeded ahead, however the car behind floored it, and went straight over the island on my right. I had begun my turn to the right and had to switch back. I lost balance and hit the deck. I was moving very slowly so sustained no injuries, but was very aware of the fact I was in the middle of the roundabout on the deck. I was able to get up and walk over to the pavement. The car had blistered up Clonard road at this stage. A pedestrian and another vehicle pulled over to see if I was okay. I was a bit shocked and felt I had escaped something that could have turned out much worse.
    Its a bit of a nothing roundabout but for some reason drivers often approach it gearing down rather than breaking, the impulse for some seems to be maintain momentum. Of course in this incident we were both stationary before moving off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

The last group of near misses recorded here are really scary as indeed are many of the previous ones. Please all of you lobby your TD's/Senators re the MPDL amendment. As ye know Minister Ross has ordered RSA to carry out research re enforcement but there's a fair cross-party momentum building up on it so it may get through in spite of DTTS and Garda reservations. After that it will be time to tackle the "professional" taxi drivers. I was shocked to read on cyclist.ie tweet that they're not obliged to do annual CPD as are other parties who drive for a living

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

stopped at the lights, a truck pulls up behind me.
    driver leaves plenty of space for me
    green lights and were quickly up to about 25kph
    theres a car parked in the cycle lane so before i pull out a quick check to make sure truck has kept his distance, which he has.
    but then the silver car overtakes out of nowhere into oncoming traffic

frightened the crap out of me. check how soon the white van in the opposite direction passes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Looks like the 2 pedestrians thought that was close too, they both turned around.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Overtake through a junction; that's a paddlin'.

Been using a bar mount for the camera for the last few months but am definitely going back to helmet mounted.

Got passed 3 times this morning by a 171 Volvo SVU, not terribly close on the passes but just a bit drifty and can see the interior lit up by a phone. Then he slowly drifted into the bus lane at Harolds cross towards the canal with no indication. Caught up to him at the lights and to my surprise, no phone! It's an iPad and he's writing an email.

Arrogant Cyclists, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm not sure which is worse, GAA on the speedometer or laptop on the knees.

I'd love to go head mounted but that pretty much necessitates wearing a lid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

This seems to be a common pattern - On a narrow bit of road, with oncoming traffic. You get a driver (the van driver in this case) with a bit of patience who waits behind in order to make a (reasonably) safe pass. Then you get the self-important twat behind him in the Audi that decides they have already been held up too much and they are going to push through through at all costs.

Honestly lads, this crap is really killing my love for being out on the bike. This isn't the closest pass I've had, but it's very typical and all too frequent. but i travel this stretch of road regularly and i'm almost guaranteed to get at least one of these every time.

I've taken to moving out even further now when there's oncoming traffic to really block these twats that think getting down the road 3 seconds quicker is more important than my safety.

Duckjob wrote: »
    This seems to be a common pattern - On a narrow bit of road, with oncoming traffic. You get a driver (the van driver in this case) with a bit of patience who waits behind in order to make a (reasonably) safe pass. Then you get the self-important twat behind him in the Audi that decides they have already been held up too much and they are going to push through through at all costs.

Honestly lads, this crap is really killing my love for being out on the bike. This isn't the closest pass I've had, but it's very typical and all too frequent. but i travel this stretch of road regularly and i'm almost guaranteed to get at least one of these every time.

I've taken to moving out even further now when there's oncoming traffic to really block these twats that think getting down the road 3 seconds quicker is more important than my safety.

Yep...same for me this morning. The first car(car no.1) waited until a suitable opportunity to overtake. Car no. 2 was getting impatient, car no. 3 was furious at being held up and leaned on the horn! Car no. 1 overtakes me and gives plenty of room, car no. 2 overtakes with an inch or to to spare and car no. 3 passes and leans on the horn again! Just another day in the life of your average cycle commuter in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Yep...same for me this morning. The first car(car no.1) waited until a suitable opportunity to overtake. Car no. 2 was getting impatient, car no. 3 was furious at being held up and leaned on the horn! Car no. 1 overtakes me and gives plenty of room, car no. 2 overtakes with an inch or to to spare and car no. 3 passes and leans on the horn again! Just another day in the life of your average cycle commuter in Ireland!

And sure aren't they right, it's clearly your fault they're stuck in traffic, nothing to do with all the other metal boxes on the road! That 10 second hold up on the way to the next traffic light is obviously very important to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

07Lapierre wrote: »

I'd the exact same this morning except the second guy was a White Van Man who leaned on the horn.

I caught up to him about 3 minutes later (oh the irony) and had a "heated debate". Proud of both of us to actually talk and not resort to screaming or shouting.

His points
    - I have no consideration for traffic (I was about 1/3 the way out from the edge to avoid potholes thus forcing the traffic behind to wait for a safe point to overtake)
    - He pays road tax (yikes)
    - I should be in a car (after I pointed out that I pay *ahem* motor tax too)

My points
    - I cycle out of the gutter to protect myself.
    - I prefer to cycle than drive as it's good for my health. Although it doesn't feel like that when I'm doing hill repeats.
    - It's a cold but lovely day to be on your bike and alive.

• Advertisement

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    And sure aren't they right, it's clearly your fault they're stuck in traffic, nothing to do with all the other metal boxes on the road! That 10 second hold up on the way to the next traffic light is obviously very important to them.

its a common enough experience on the R125 near Rolestown. Here's the exact spot that Car no.1 passed me.... solid white line and junction ahead. They should have waited a bit longer, as there is a longer straight section just around the bend. but if your familiar with the road...as long as your a confident driver its possible to overtake a single cyclist in a matter of a second or two.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.4851408,-6.2899033,3a,75y,179.91h,92.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sca8ateegszKCDAdK-Stp1g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Danjamin1 wrote: »

Well this was the R125 near Rolestown. No Traffic lights and the road is narrow and twisty. It's the kind of road that you would expect to get held up by something. e.g. in Summer its Cyclists, Tractors, HGV's etc. and in Winter its Me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,971 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

mathie wrote: »
    I'd the exact same this morning except the second guy was a White Van Man who leaned on the horn.

I caught up to him about 3 minutes later (oh the irony) and had a "heated debate". Proud of both of us to actually talk and not resort to screaming or shouting.

His points
    - I have no consideration for traffic (I was about 1/3 the way out from the edge to avoid potholes thus forcing the traffic behind to wait for a safe point to overtake)
    - He pays road tax (yikes)
    - I should be in a car (after I pointed out that I pay *ahem* motor tax too)

My points
    - I cycle out of the gutter to protect myself.
    - I prefer to cycle than drive as it's good for my health. Although it doesn't feel like that when I'm doing hill repeats.
    - It's a cold but lovely day to be on your bike and alive.

It is important to do this. Even if it seems like you're getting nowhere in the debate, there is a good chance that it will at least encourage him to pause for thought next time he is in the same situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Not a near miss but was cycling up Richmond St south over Portobello bridge yesterday evening in the lashings of rain, two cars ahead of me decided to drive up the cycle lane to get to the left turn lane at the bridge! Luckily no cyclists were in the lane ahead of them but potentially very dangerous. Might be better if the lane had different colour tarmac to fully differentiate it.
    GreeBo wrote: »
    I believe motorists are allowed to drive in that lane since it has dashed lines?

Pretty sure that the cycle lane was intended to have a solid white line, but DCC only installed a dashed white line. This allows cars to track into it, park for loading, etc., but not to drive wholesale in it, which I do see occasionally as I use the street most days.

Cars can drive in advisory cycle lanes when the lanes are within general traffic lanes, but on Richmond Street there is a single southbound traffic lane with the advisory cycle lane alongside; in effect, the cycle lane is part of a very wide traffic lane. The car in schemingbohemia's post was therefore driving two abreast in a traffic lane, which I believe is not legal. (As well as being, y'know, 'arrogant'.)

TL; DR - Advisory cycle lanes are a crock of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    Pretty sure that the cycle lane was intended to have a solid white line, but DCC only installed a dashed white line. This allows cars to track into it, park for loading, etc., but not to drive wholesale in it, which I do see occasionally as I use the street most days.

Cars can drive in advisory cycle lanes when the lanes are within general traffic lanes, but on Richmond Street there is a single southbound traffic lane with the advisory cycle lane alongside; in effect, the cycle lane is part of a very wide traffic lane. The car in schemingbohemia's post was therefore driving two abreast in a traffic lane, which I believe is not legal. (As well as being, y'know, 'arrogant'.)

TL; DR - Advisory cycle lanes are a crock of ****.

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong area, but to me there is 1 driving lane and a bus/cycle lane.
    These then disappear at the junction and turn into 2 driving lanes:
    1 Straight
    1 left only thats combined with a bike lane

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Portobello+Bridge/@53.3302055,-6.2642657,54m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x48670ea0a3f27ab3:0xd1e7273d6b07afa1!8m2!3d53.3300855!4d-6.2642741?hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

GreeBo wrote: »
    Maybe I'm looking at the wrong area, but to me there is 1 driving lane and a bus/cycle lane.
    These then disappear at the junction and turn into 2 driving lanes:
    1 Straight
    1 left only thats combined with a bike lane

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Portobello+Bridge/@53.3302055,-6.2642657,54m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x48670ea0a3f27ab3:0xd1e7273d6b07afa1!8m2!3d53.3300855!4d-6.2642741?hl=en

There are two southbound lanes on the bridge - a straight ahead lane and a straight-and-left lane (which, because of the way the signals operate, behaves as a de facto left turn lane) - but on Richmond Street itself there is only one southbound traffic lane and a parallel advisory cycle lane (which is interrupted south of Gordon Place [the lane opposite Lennox Street] by a bus stop). The advisory cycle lane contains cycle lane markings but no bus lane markings.

(In fairness, the satellite image you posted shows a bus in the cycle lane outside Rotana, so the confusion is understandable.:))

• Registered Users Posts: 8,764 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Not sure which thread this belongs to.. Some examples of poor cycle behavior, but also shows just how dangerous the roads can be due to total lack of consideration for cycle users by motorists.
    At least the van driver making the video was careful and considerate...

https://youtu.be/-pHqD-uP-ns

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Not sure which thread this belongs to.. Some examples of poor cycle behavior, but also shows just how dangerous the roads can be due to total lack of consideration for cycle users by motorists.
    At least the van driver making the video was careful and considerate...

https://youtu.be/-pHqD-uP-ns

Who ever designed that bike lane at 5:38 should get some kind of award.

Driver does seem to have a heightened awareness of cyclists. Wonder does he cycle himself or just a better driver than many you encounter out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Some of them cyclists would be top contenders for a darwin award. Shocking bad and give the rest a bad name.

Did the car just drive off after hitting the guy about 1/3 of the way through the video

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,764 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Driver does seem to have a heightened awareness of cyclists. Wonder does he cycle himself or just a better driver than many you encounter out there.

Making a video for YouTube may have some influence on that...:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement